Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

Like was said: The Joad Tour was build around the Joad songs (this reason for the fairly standard setlists, especially -roughly- first half of the tour); in 2005 the D & D songs were more in the margins of the show, not the cornerstones of the show.

Or: when in 2005 everything did work, it was really very good, great, but not every night; the Joad Tour was more constant. Except 1997, which was -at least at the time- considered, by far, the 'weakest' leg of the tour.

All opinions, not facts.

For me the majority of the D&D-shows are excellent. So many great songs were played - and Bruce at the piano was fantastic. Luckily many of the shows were recorded by fans in very good quality. 

It's not gonna happen but I hope that with the tours where they perhaps recorded all the shows (D&D-tour, in my opinion, could well be such a tour), they would put out a month of shows or even half a month at once (for example all the May 2005 shows or all the June 2005 shows etc. - any month from between April and November 2005). One can dream. 

4 hours ago, Breakaway said:

It's not gonna happen but I hope that with the tours where they perhaps recorded all the shows (D&D-tour, in my opinion, could well be such a tour), they would put out a month of shows or even half a month at once (for example all the May 2005 shows or all the June 2005 shows etc. - any month from between April and November 2005). One can dream. 

Sort of like how Bob Dylan recently released every known recording from the 1966 tour in one 36 CD set.  An entire tour in one box set.  You know some of us would buy that from Bruce!

Although I’m grateful for the Archive Series and the couple of box sets of previously unreleased music that we have gotten from Bruce, I gotta say that in the past 15-20 years Bob Dylan’s archive dept has been absolutely blowing it out of the water in comparison to Bruce.  Yes Dylan may have been more productive in terms of numbers of studio outtakes etc., but Bruce has gotta have more in the vaults (live and studio) and nobody’s getting any younger.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Sort of like how Bob Dylan recently released every known recording from the 1966 tour in one 36 CD set.  An entire tour in one box set.  You know some of us would buy that from Bruce!

Although I’m grateful for the Archive Series and the couple of box sets of previously unreleased music that we have gotten from Bruce, I gotta say that in the past 15-20 years Bob Dylan’s archive dept has been absolutely blowing it out of the water in comparison to Bruce.  Yes Dylan may have been more productive in terms of numbers of studio outtakes etc., but Bruce has gotta have more in the vaults (live and studio) and nobody’s getting any younger.

I also think every now and then one of the shows should be available on spotify to try and target the casual fan, he may attract more fans if evrything wasnt costly all the time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E Street nation said:

I also think every now and then one of the shows should be available on spotify to try and target the casual fan, he may attract more fans if evrything wasnt costly all the time

I have always been of the opinion that artists who release archive material whether or be Bruce, Dylan, Pearl Jam or whoever do so for their established fan base. The ones out there who crave a little more. I dont believe casual fans whould be interested or even know about archives.

Its mainly commercial. The quality of the product will reflect the money they make. Which clearly isn't much.

I've always viewed the archives as an extra option for us if we want it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

1997 show, looks like Fynn agreed on the other board with a suggestion. 5/8/97

I’m not seeing that there was a 5/8/97 show, on either May 8 or August 5.

Edit: looks like you meant 5/18/97. Flynn wasn’t directly responding to that post, even though his comment was right below it. He was quoting an earlier post where somebody made a joke, and he was complimenting the joke. Of course, he also could have been subtly confirming that it is Joad this month. I have entertained that possibility.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lampi said:

Like was said: The Joad Tour was build around the Joad songs (this reason for the fairly standard setlists, especially -roughly- first half of the tour); in 2005 the D & D songs were more in the margins of the show, not the cornerstones of the show.

Or: when in 2005 everything did work, it was really very good, great, but not every night; the Joad Tour was more constant. Except 1997, which was -at least at the time- considered, by far, the 'weakest' leg of the tour.

All opinions, not facts.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Joad is the only Bruce album I just never have been able to get into, so I have a strong (and biased) preference for D&D. But I feel the shows themselves were better on the Joad tour, even if I skip the album tracks when listening back. D&D had much better individual moments IMO but the shows as a whole weren't as good.

27 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

1997 show, looks like Fynn agreed on the other board with a suggestion. 5/8/97

Close 5/18/97 (or 18/05/97 in proper language)

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

Tour of Canada 1982.

:lol:

Speaking of Nebraska ..

Why you got excitted over Bruce starting filming for the Nebraska box set ?

(Yes i have my hopes redicouolsly high)

22 hours ago, Lampi said:

I would like more unique, lesser-well known shows

Looks I got what I wished for.:)

I am not that familiar with the 1997 shows (I stopped tape trading in 1996), so a little curious too. Also because of the not-so-good reputation [again: at least at the time] of the 1997 shows.

• Bruuuuce! 1

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Why you got excitted over Bruce starting filming for the Nebraska box set ?

No, I think they will re-record Electric Nebraska with all guitar parts played by Tom Morello.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lampi said:

No, I think they will re-record Electric Nebraska with all guitar parts played by Tom Morello.

Lucky for you i know the Dutch humour 

I do love these 1997 Tom Joad shows, Bruce played early stuff, setlist wasn’t stuck to the bone as it was the year before on that tour.  And why Nice instead of Paris, that closed the tour, both shows were great, one of them got bootlegged beautifully on Crystal Cat Records  ? I think that all of the shows from there on have been professionnaly recorded. That gives us hope for more. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1