Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

6 hours ago, Floom2 said:

You guys that are down on '78 and hip to 2013 (seriously?) are like Stones' fans ripping '69 and wanting to hear more from the '90's.  

Funny; I literally played Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge today at work 

47 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Why weird? Devils & Dust is Bruce Springsteen's weakest album, but the 2005 tour is in very high esteem by fans. On the other hand, the D & D songs were not really the cornerstones of the shows, which could be an explanation for this.

A similar story for WOAD versus the WOAD Tour

9 hours ago, Floom2 said:

Well, the argument isn't that '78 is great and '80-'81 is terrible.  Every band has a peak.  I could go into greater detail about this, but I don't have the time right now.  Suffice it to say:  The Stones peak was '69 to '72.  This doesn't mean that the Stones in '81 weren't worth seeing, just that they were more 'Stones' between '69-'72.  

Springsteen is Springsteen because of BTR, Darkness, The River and BITUSA.  That's the heart of it.  Argue if you want to but you're wrong.  The '78 tour was revelatory and generally recognized as one of the greatest rock tours by any artist ever.  The idea that a show from the 2000's (given that many more of these shows will be released anyway) is preferable in any way to this show is just silly.  I get that we all have opinions, but you guys are arguing that Sinatra in '72 is better than Sinatra in '65 and that's just crazy.  Sure, Sinatra in '72 is worth a listen but Sinatra in '65 was the peak.  

Springsteen is, obviously, always worth seeing.  I've seen him throughout the years.  But '78 was Bruce Springsteen at his peak. As excellent as 80-81 was, '78 was raw and brutal. I actually think he lost a step during the BITUSA tour.  

Anyway, this is a great release.  You guys are spoiled beyond all reason.  :)   Peace folks, it's a great day.  

You're defining the peak, based on a historical consensus, that doesn't allow for disagreement, and based largely on mainstream music press journalism. You can disagree with an opinion, and say why, but you can't state that someone is 'wrong' for disagreeing, well you can, but you're wrong to do so. For instance, Springsteen is Springsteen for me based on Born In The USA (I was an eighties kid) and Tunnel of Love, retrospectively I found I loved The River. I never listen to Born To Run, or Darkness on the Edge of Town (although I love those songs live post-78. I'm a big Dylan fan, but I'd take Time Out of Mind, and its outtakes, over Highway 61 Revisited. If Springsteen as a performing artist had, for some reason, stopped playing live in 1978, the only music of his I would have listened to would be the first two albums, historical importance or otherwise.

• Like 1

Im overjoyed and overexcitted to get another 78 show

Love every dam second of everything ive heard from that tour

Love his voice 

Love my prove it intro

May we get more 78 shows 

(After J's Wembly) 

1978 made me the fan i am 

(Not actually in 1978 but i was only 7)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

I hope we get a stack more 78 shows they are the only shows so far I have no hesitation whatsoever in buying. I hope they can find an even earlier show with Something In The Night on it but if not I'd be happy with every show July through January

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, jukeblue said:

I hope we get a stack more 78 shows they are the only shows so far I have no hesitation whatsoever in buying. I hope they can find an even earlier show with Something In The Night on it but if not I'd be happy with every show July through January

Presumably they have at least another seven so that they can release the Volume 2 Box Set ^_^

11 hours ago, Lampi said:

is Bruce Springsteen's weakest album

For me, LTY wins that designation.   First Bruce album that I can’t really even listen too.

11 hours ago, badlands78 said:

A similar story for WOAD versus the WOAD Tour

Bruce forgot about most of WOAD quite early in the tour, but most of D&D-songs remained in the setlist throughout that wonderful tour, deservedly so since D&D is a great album as a whole. During the WOAD-tour Bruce seemed to be more interested in covers while as the D&D-tour went on he seemed to be willing to explore his own catalogue. During the TGOTJ-tour it was just him and his guitar so I guess it felt safer and easier to stick to many TGOTJ-songs while during D&D-tour he had the piano and the pump organ etc. and more chances at experimenting (plus the songs released after 1996). 

42 minutes ago, Breakaway said:

Bruce forgot about most of WOAD quite early in the tour, but most of D&D-songs remained in the setlist throughout that wonderful tour

And going back to the premise of this thread, I suspect another 2005 show cannot be too far away. It's been a year since the last one (Stockholm, released 12 June 2020) and we've had four band shows (three E Street) since the Nice 1997 release back in February. 

8 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

And going back to the premise of this thread, I suspect another 2005 show cannot be too far away.

The number of shows likely to be available may well put 2005 ahead of 80/81 and 84/85 which are also due releases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

And going back to the premise of this thread, I suspect another 2005 show cannot be too far away. It's been a year since the last one (Stockholm, released 12 June 2020) and we've had four band shows (three E Street) since the Nice 1997 release back in February. 

Something with Paradise would be amazing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

Something with Paradise would be amazing

The following shows all feature Paradise, with those in bold also including Real World, which we still don't have released on a 2005 archive.

2005-08-13 Pontiac Theatre, Vancouver, BC

2005-07-16 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

2005-06-28 ICC Berlin, Berlin, Germany

2005-06-04 PalaMalaguti, Bologna, Italy

2005-06-02 Palacio De Deportes De Comunidad De Madrid, Madrid, Spain

2005-06-01 Pavelló Olímpic De Badalona, Barcelona, Spain

2005-05-27 Royal Albert Hall, London, England

2005-05-20 Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA

2005-05-19 Theater At The Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, NJ

2005-05-14 Patriot Center, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

2005-05-11 Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, IL

2005-05-10 Xcel Energy Center, Saint Paul, MN

• Like 1

15 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Funny; I literally played Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge today at work 

Steel Wheels is from 1989...:) ....and both are good albums.

Steel Wheels was also a sort of comeback album; one of the famous 1989 comeback albums by old rock dinosaurs!:) ['old rock dinosaurs' by 1989 standards, that is]. (Also: Neil Young-Freedom, Bob Dylan-Oh Mercy and Lou Reed-New York).

And when the Stones went on tour again, for the first time since early 80s, it was whispered that 1989-1990 tour maybe could be their last tour.... other times indeed.

On the other hand, every Bruce Springsteen & The ESB Tour since 1999-2000 it was said that particular tour could be their last tour together...that also.

9 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

You're defining the peak, based on a historical consensus, that doesn't allow for disagreement, and based largely on mainstream music press journalism. You can disagree with an opinion, and say why, but you can't state that someone is 'wrong' for disagreeing, well you can, but you're wrong to do so. For instance, Springsteen is Springsteen for me based on Born In The USA (I was an eighties kid) and Tunnel of Love, retrospectively I found I loved The River. I never listen to Born To Run, or Darkness on the Edge of Town (although I love those songs live post-78. I'm a big Dylan fan, but I'd take Time Out of Mind, and its outtakes, over Highway 61 Revisited. If Springsteen as a performing artist had, for some reason, stopped playing live in 1978, the only music of his I would have listened to would be the first two albums, historical importance or otherwise.

Hmm...

Fair points.  But you're not exactly correct.  :)

We cannot discount the complete career of an artist.  Whether a particular listener (let's use you as our example) is fully aware of an artists history matters not a bit.   You could appear in full form at the age of 20 in 1985 and fall in love with 1985 Bruce Springsteen, and that's great  You, as having appeared magically, fully formed, would have no prior knowledge of Springsteen  But Springsteen existed in 1985 as a result of all that he did before that.  His records, his tours, his place within American culture was a result of all that he did to get to BITUSA and that tour in '85.  The 1978 tour, within the scope of Bruce Springsteen's career, led to everything else.  Just because you weren't there doesn't mean it wasn't foundational to his myth and place in our culture.  In short:  '85 doesn't happen without '78. 

Regarding your comments on Dylan:   ???    Hmmm...  Dylan doesn't get to make Time Out Of Mind without first having made Highway 61.  Dylan is Dylan on Time Out Of Mind because of all that he did before.  

Most music obsessives (Tramps like us) are very possessive of the artists they love.  It's tough to realize that we may have missed an artists' peak. Every artist has one.  Sure there are stones fans that like Steel Wheels more than they like Exile, or Sticky Fingers.  And that's fine.  it's crazy, of course, but it's fine. 

If some 12 year old kid suddenly discovers REM because his neighbor plays Shiny Happy People one day and the kid hears it and loves it doesn't mean that Shiny Happy People is the pinnacle of REM's career.  The foundational record for REM is not Out of Time, a record I happen to love.   

I've always felt an obligation to trace the artists I'm interested in back to their beginning.  

As an aside, this Berkeley show is stellar.  A '78 version of Night, a second set Adam Raised A Cain, The Promise. 

This is a brilliant show.  Racing in the Street is particularly excellent.  Our man was dead on point for this show.  A great performance by one of the most important American artists that ever lived on the most important and best tour of his career. And you guys complain.  ;)  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lampi said:

Curious now what you think about the Tunnel Tour, did he win his step back? (Personally I think so but opinions are opinions, and I am a little (well...more than a little) biased about the Tunnel Tour).

I saw that tour in Philly and in Frankfurt, Germany and was brought to tears both times.  Especially in Philly.  That version of She's The One was like an atomic bomb going off in the Spectrum.  And in Frankfurt, outside, a beautiful afternoon and the band killing it.  Loved that tour. 

He's is arguably the single greatest live performer in rock history.  I'm pretty sure Bruce himself doesn't view '78 as his best tour, he's been pretty clear about how much he's loved his bands' playing within the last 15 years or so. 

19 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

My 3 all time favourite archives are Passaic ‘78 night 2, Nassau 31/12/80 and East Rutherford 06/08/84 and I consider these shows as definitive examples of Bruce’s peak period. 

I think this is a fair argument.  The good news is that there are tons of simply stunning shows to listen to so we can really nail down the best 60 or 70 performances  ;)

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

Steel Wheels was also a sort of comeback album; one of the famous 1989 comeback albums by old rock dinosaurs!:) ['old rock dinosaurs' by 1989 standards, that is]. (Also: Neil Young-Freedom, Bob Dylan-Oh Mercy and Lou Reed-New York).

And don’t forget “Full Moon Fever” and “Flowers In The Dirt” as returns-to-form in 1989 for Tom Petty and Paul McCartney, respectively.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick21 said:

2005-05-11 Rosemont Theatre, Rosemont, IL

I know it doesn't have Real World, but this show has always intrigued me. LOHAD is wonderful and partially a capella. I'm On Fire with banjo is unique. World premiere of Dream Baby Dream. The criminally overlooked Maria's Bed would finally be in an archive release. And no one would complain about a solo piano Incident.