Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

On 6/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, davemunday said:

Well you don’t have to read them or make your pointless comments, night 

I will make whatever pointless comments I want, it's a forum, that's what it's all about. Right?

I am gonna predict a Devils & Dust show for July 9th.

The we will get a River show in August.

It's a rumor/prediction thread right?

I am loving this Berkeley show. I played it today in one sitting. They were so good on this tour. I have decided to download every show from this tour regardless of audio quality. Starting today.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I am gonna predict a Devils & Dust show for July 9th.

The we will get a River show in August.

It's a rumor/prediction thread right?

I am loving this Berkeley show. I played it today in one sitting. They were so good on this tour. I have decided to download every show from this tour regardless of audio quality. Starting today.

Excellent choice

• Like 1

I really don’t mind what tour or what show is next. I’m just thankful we have about 200 hours of archive live concert releases to treasure. It’s a wonderful thing. 

Edit: Paolo will no doubt know how many hours, minutes and seconds we have in the 68 archives combined! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Floom2 said:

Hmm...

Fair points.  But you're not exactly correct.  :)

We cannot discount the complete career of an artist.  Whether a particular listener (let's use you as our example) is fully aware of an artists history matters not a bit.   You could appear in full form at the age of 20 in 1985 and fall in love with 1985 Bruce Springsteen, and that's great  You, as having appeared magically, fully formed, would have no prior knowledge of Springsteen  But Springsteen existed in 1985 as a result of all that he did before that.  His records, his tours, his place within American culture was a result of all that he did to get to BITUSA and that tour in '85.  The 1978 tour, within the scope of Bruce Springsteen's career, led to everything else.  Just because you weren't there doesn't mean it wasn't foundational to his myth and place in our culture.  In short:  '85 doesn't happen without '78. 

Regarding your comments on Dylan:   ???    Hmmm...  Dylan doesn't get to make Time Out Of Mind without first having made Highway 61.  Dylan is Dylan on Time Out Of Mind because of all that he did before.  

Most music obsessives (Tramps like us) are very possessive of the artists they love.  It's tough to realize that we may have missed an artists' peak. Every artist has one.  Sure there are stones fans that like Steel Wheels more than they like Exile, or Sticky Fingers.  And that's fine.  it's crazy, of course, but it's fine. 

If some 12 year old kid suddenly discovers REM because his neighbor plays Shiny Happy People one day and the kid hears it and loves it doesn't mean that Shiny Happy People is the pinnacle of REM's career.  The foundational record for REM is not Out of Time, a record I happen to love.   

I've always felt an obligation to trace the artists I'm interested in back to their beginning.  

As an aside, this Berkeley show is stellar.  A '78 version of Night, a second set Adam Raised A Cain, The Promise. 

This is a brilliant show.  Racing in the Street is particularly excellent.  Our man was dead on point for this show.  A great performance by one of the most important American artists that ever lived on the most important and best tour of his career. And you guys complain.  ;)  

I'm aware of Bruce's history. I've listened to all of his music, from every period. I do that with all artists whose music I like, and what usually happens is you find after awhile you prefer certain periods to others. Yes, Dylan doesn't get to make TOOM without Highway 61...but that just means H61 is historically important, or relevant to the artists overall trajectory. It doesn't actually mean the music recorded is inherently better.

Similarly, you may feel some artists have a clear peak, I agree with you about The Rolling Stones for eg, although I would still say history has been a lot kinder to Goats Head Soup than the initial reaction upon its release. With Bruce, I can accept from an academic position the tour was an important one, and he doesn't get to The River without it, but for me, removed from its historical context, the music doesn't stand up in 2021. Then there's also the completely subjective reaction that I just don't like the sound of his voice on that tour. Nothing is going to change that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I'm aware of Bruce's history. I've listened to all of his music, from every period. I do that with all artists whose music I like, and what usually happens is you find after awhile you prefer certain periods to others. Yes, Dylan doesn't get to make TOOM without Highway 61...but that just means H61 is historically important, or relevant to the artists overall trajectory. It doesn't actually mean the music recorded is inherently better.

Similarly, you may feel some artists have a clear peak, I agree with you about The Rolling Stones for eg, although I would still say history has been a lot kinder to Goats Head Soup than the initial reaction upon its release. With Bruce, I can accept from an academic position the tour was an important one, and he doesn't get to The River without it, but for me, removed from its historical context, the music doesn't stand up in 2021. Then there's also the completely subjective reaction that I just don't like the sound of his voice on that tour. Nothing is going to change that.

If I may continue: 

Context matters. So, while we can hear (for example) Highway 61 with 2021 ears, context tell us that Like A Rolling Stone reached a peak of number 2 on the Hot 100 the week of September 4, 1965 flanked by Help (The Beatles at #1) and California Girls (The Beach Boys at #3) both excellent songs but of quite a few degrees less than Like A Rolling Stone.  The rest of the Hot 100 that week was filled with rock and roll pap. Excellent music, for sure, but nothing that changed the landscape like Dylan.  So is Highway 61 "better"?  Hmmm...    I can understand your position, and I love Time Out of Mind but those three foundational recordings (BIABH, HWY61 and BOB) are stand alone examples of Bob Dylan.  Thankfully Dylan has had other splendid recordings (BOTT, for one).  

I will always prefer sloppy rock and roll to whatever the other alternative is, so while Springsteen et al may have been playing at a higher level with better stage gear over the last 10-15 years, give me that desperate We Have Everything To Lose We Have To Blow The Roof Off The Joint attitude that was Springsteen in '78.  He was playing for his life, like there was no tomorrow.  Certainly by 1984 the game was over and he was the clear winner.  It's the fight to get to the top that gets it done for me.  

Good discussion. Thanks.  Dylan in '76 was pretty excellent. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Floom2 said:

We Have Everything To Lose We Have To Blow The Roof Off The Joint attitude that was Springsteen in '78.  He was playing for his life, like there was no tomorrow.  Certainly by 1984 the game was over and he was the clear winner.  It's the fight to get to the top that gets it done for 

Great point about Bruce's struggle. Totally agree. After Bitusa, the struggle was over and so was his cutting edge songwriting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floom2 said:

He was playing for his life, like there was no tomorrow.

This is what captivates and intrigues me most about the 76-77 tour, a Springsteen era that I love despite my dislike of '78.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 6:46 PM, Sean McNeill said:

Well who knew, another FULL show for you to write one of your pointless reviews about.

Harsh

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 1:13 AM, Lampi said:

Devils & Dust is Bruce Springsteen's weakest album

You say that like that's a fact... You say that like Working On A Dream does not exist... You say that like High Hopes was never released... You say that like it's objective when it's all just a subjective opinion.... You say that like you're not wrong, which you are! 

• Haha 3

On 6/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

I want a devils and dust show with the spaghetti western style I’m on Fire and the stunning version of Ties That Bind. Two of my favourite interpretations from that tour. 

Hi being lazy here what shows were those versions played at? Thanks

On 6/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, sleepyjoe said:

This is what captivates and intrigues me most about the 76-77 tour, a Springsteen era that I love despite my dislike of '78.

Yup.  I can remember hearing Boston Breaker (that vinyl boot, one of the Boston shows) for the first time in the early 80’s.  I hate audience boots but that show...wow.   ‘77 was something indeed.   

Springsteen has been legendary forever    ‘74, ‘75  (where is that pristine sounding Bottom Line box set, dammit)  and every year since.  

we are all, I believe, fortunate to have seen the guy at all, anywhere, anytime   

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I'd take a D&D show any day and I'd play it heaps 

2006 ? 

Well id get it but i dont think id play it more than once

On 6/20/2021 at 8:42 PM, Floom2 said:

If I may continue: 

Context matters. So, while we can hear (for example) Highway 61 with 2021 ears, context tell us that Like A Rolling Stone reached a peak of number 2 on the Hot 100 the week of September 4, 1965 flanked by Help (The Beatles at #1) and California Girls (The Beach Boys at #3) both excellent songs but of quite a few degrees less than Like A Rolling Stone.  The rest of the Hot 100 that week was filled with rock and roll pap. Excellent music, for sure, but nothing that changed the landscape like Dylan.  So is Highway 61 "better"?  Hmmm...    I can understand your position, and I love Time Out of Mind but those three foundational recordings (BIABH, HWY61 and BOB) are stand alone examples of Bob Dylan.  Thankfully Dylan has had other splendid recordings (BOTT, for one).  

I will always prefer sloppy rock and roll to whatever the other alternative is, so while Springsteen et al may have been playing at a higher level with better stage gear over the last 10-15 years, give me that desperate We Have Everything To Lose We Have To Blow The Roof Off The Joint attitude that was Springsteen in '78.  He was playing for his life, like there was no tomorrow.  Certainly by 1984 the game was over and he was the clear winner.  It's the fight to get to the top that gets it done for me.  

Good discussion. Thanks.  Dylan in '76 was pretty excellent. 

See, all the comments you make for ‘78, I would apply to ‘80-‘81. Ialso agree that ‘84-‘85 was a step down, although the ‘88 shows are pretty intense at times. I also think age has something to do with it; at twenty years of age TOOM may not have spoken to me in the way it does to my 44 year old self. I love ‘76 Dylan though. Way out there on the wire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

all the comments you make for ‘78, I would apply to ‘80-‘81

Same, especially when you consider a lot of the River songs debuted as works in progress on the 78 tour. Independence Day, Point Blank, Ties That Bind... heck, even Ramrod. 

If i was in charge at Bruce inc

Id release a 2009 show to make J sweat :lol:- then the next month id give him Wembley

Then Moncton 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:00 AM, J said:

You say that like that's a fact... You say that like Working On A Dream does not exist... You say that like High Hopes was never released... You say that like it's objective when it's all just a subjective opinion.... You say that like you're not wrong, which you are! 

there is no right or wrong, there is just opinion and at the end of the day opinion is fiction not fact........ well something like that i think xx

On 6/22/2021 at 5:47 PM, Floom2 said:

Yup.  I can remember hearing Boston Breaker (that vinyl boot, one of the Boston shows) for the first time in the early 80’s.  I hate audience boots but that show...wow.   ‘77 was something indeed.   

Springsteen has been legendary forever    ‘74, ‘75  (where is that pristine sounding Bottom Line box set, dammit)  and every year since.  

we are all, I believe, fortunate to have seen the guy at all, anywhere, anytime   

why the hate of audience boots ??

16 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

If i was in charge at Bruce inc

Id release a 2009 show to make J sweat :lol:- then the next month id give him Wembley

Then Moncton 

They’ve  got a lot of unissued 2009 shows so what about releasing five maybe six at a time.