Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

@Paolo's Circus Story

It's totally normal to get bored. If the music doesn't do the trick, you still have endless possibilities... Try something new. 

You were always posting  interesting stuff about Bruce. Now forget Bruce for a while. Write about yourself and you'll see how therapeutical it is. 

Post something about the real you.

Sorry, I'm an open minded person and this is what I think I should be saying to you. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Weeeeeell, gotta disagree with you there. 

@J it doesn't have to be long to be good, y'know...

That show has the only version of Darlington County I really like, and Seeds done to the melody of Rockaway The Days is just great. 

Like the (hopefully true) anecdote that Bruce decided to do You Can Look a capella just as he was going on stage. Best finger-snap-solo I've heard. (The ONLY finger-snap-solo I've ever heard, but still...). 

I really want this show now. 

@Paolo's Circus Story

welcome to my world, constantly going deep (not quite Paolo 'font of Springsteen knowledge' deep, you amazed us!) into artists and then going off them for a while. I, like most others here, was Springsteen crazy for the entirety of 2016, and then faded as he went quiet for a while. This year I've hardly listened to him and I've used the spare listening hours getting into my dad's CD collection, so I've been really getting into Neil Young and Tom Petty, whilst I've finally got around to listening to the Prince albums I bought years back. 

The best thing about music is there's SO much of it, all the time. Put Springsteen on the back burner for a bit, buy some dirt cheap second hand CDs from Amazon (how I buy old cds, got 20 for £10 the other day!) and enjoy music. Or just enjoy life without earphones for a bit. 

Then, when you feel like it, you can put on Darkness on the Edge of Town and think, yeah this is cool. And then shove On the Beach on and think, this is also cool, etc...

:-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Me too! 35 years and counting. 

(Wait...do we mean still in a phase where we think he kicks sliced bread's ass, or are taking a break from him...?)

Let’s shake hands B) I’ve even come to like a lot of Stevie’s eighties stuff. My favorite Stevie Wonder songs on Spotify has ballooned to a 155 tracks. I think his output has been a marvel of musical artistry that is very rare. I really count the man to be amongst the giants of music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

@Paolo's Circus Story

welcome to my world, constantly going deep (not quite Paolo 'font of Springsteen knowledge' deep, you amazed us!) into artists and then going off them for a while. I, like most others here, was Springsteen crazy for the entirety of 2016, and then faded as he went quiet for a while. This year I've hardly listened to him and I've used the spare listening hours getting into my dad's CD collection, so I've been really getting into Neil Young and Tom Petty, whilst I've finally got around to listening to the Prince albums I bought years back. 

The best thing about music is there's SO much of it, all the time. Put Springsteen on the back burner for a bit, buy some dirt cheap second hand CDs from Amazon (how I buy old cds, got 20 for £10 the other day!) and enjoy music. Or just enjoy life without earphones for a bit. 

Then, when you feel like it, you can put on Darkness on the Edge of Town and think, yeah this is cool. And then shove On the Beach on and think, this is also cool, etc...

:-)

Since he died I've listened to a few Tom Petty tracks, I like I Won't Back Down. I wouldn't mind getting into Prince's music, but some of it seems a bit distant to what I like. 

I've been thinking in the last hour or so that I might just focus on listening to specific podcasts that I'm a fan of instead of forcing music. ]

And about that, "you amazed us!", that makes it sound like I'm done with Springsteen and this place completely, so stick to the present tense ;), I'll be around from time to time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Let’s shake hands B) I’ve even come to like a lot of Stevie’s eighties stuff. My favorite Stevie Wonder songs on Spotify has ballooned to a 155 tracks. I think his output has been a marvel of musical artistry that is very rare. I really count the man to be amongst the giants of music.

Oh, absolutely. Had he (or Prince) been born 150 or so years earlier, we'd be talking about him in the same breath as, say, Schubert and Brahms, at least, if not Bach and Mozart. I love Bruce, obviously, I love Dylan and Elvis and Bowie and Suzanne Vega and Brian Eno and Eric Clapton but Stevie Wonder towers over them all in terms of talent. 

This is one of my all-time favorite Stevie songs and performances--it was so powerful that when the lovely but to my ears overly orchestrated official studio version came out a few years later, I was so disappointed. Thank goodness for the internet! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Since he died I've listened to a few Tom Petty tracks, I like I Won't Back Down. I wouldn't mind getting into Prince's music, but some of it seems a bit distant to what I like. 

I've been thinking in the last hour or so that I might just focus on listening to specific podcasts that I'm a fan of instead of forcing music. ]

And about that, "you amazed us!", that makes it sound like I'm done with Springsteen and this place completely, so stick to the present tense ;), I'll be around from time to time. 

Glad to hear you'll still be around! Totally agree regarding Prince, definitely not what I've been used to hearing, but I'm in awe of how hardworking he was and how talented he was as a multi-instrumentalist. 

59 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

How familiar are you with Bob Seger's catalog? 

Off the top of my head I know of Ramblin', Gamblin' Man and Night Moves. That's it. 

33 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Glad to hear you'll still be around! Totally agree regarding Prince, definitely not what I've been used to hearing, but I'm in awe of how hardworking he was and how talented he was as a multi-instrumentalist. 

The problem that comes with saying you're going to do something like take some time away on a forum, is that you usually stick around to answer the responses, next thing you know, you never go at all. It's essentially an internet Hotel California. 

Purple Rain was one of the first songs I listened to when I got into music. Love it, one of the greatest songs ever. So imagine hearing that as a young'un, having this perception of who and what Prince is, then seeing the music video for fuckin' When Doves Cry. It messes with the head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say @Paolo's Circus Story.I'm still in the midst of a Bruce hiatus, even though I check this site daily.The magic has gone for me but it will return like it always does, without fail.Have you tried getting into u2?

Not a U2 fan at all mate. Long story. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Off the top of my head I know of Ramblin', Gamblin' Man and Night Moves. That's it. 

Well, if you like those songs at all, and given that you like Bon Jovi and at least some Tom Petty, may I highly recommend you check out the Night Moves (1976) and Stranger in Town (1978) albums? He'd already been recording for nearly a decade by the time of Night Moves and was very popular in Detroit and parts of the midwest, but it took Springsteen's breakthrough to make record companies really give guys like him another serious look. And he deserved it. While a handful of his songs are still staples on classic rock radio, that he was not just popular, but a serious artist along the lines of Bruce and Jackson Browne seems to have been forgotten these days. But Seger was the real damn deal and those albums, along with the slightly earlier Live Bullet (1975) totally hold up. (Some of his other stuff is absolutely worth investigating, if those two work for you, but those two are his best and most accessible, I think.) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I've gotta hear this.....I was a huge U2 fan from 1983 to 2005. I still like some of it.

I once liked U2 more than Bruce.

Things have changed, obviously.

I am still a fan of U2's (very) early music, though  (and Achtung Baby and Zooropa).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Oh, absolutely. Had he (or Prince) been born 150 or so years earlier, we'd be talking about him in the same breath as, say, Schubert and Brahms, at least, if not Bach and Mozart. I love Bruce, obviously, I love Dylan and Elvis and Bowie and Suzanne Vega and Brian Eno and Eric Clapton but Stevie Wonder towers over them all in terms of talent. 

This is one of my all-time favorite Stevie songs and performances--it was so powerful that when the lovely but to my ears overly orchestrated official studio version came out a few years later, I was so disappointed. Thank goodness for the internet! 

An absolute pet peeve of mine how artists like Stevie Wonder and Prince aren’t held in the same regard as Dylan, the Beatles or the Stones. And not just them, artist like James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic or Curtis Mayfield clock in lower in those greatest artist list they run in Rolling Stone and the like than they deserve. 

Thanks for that Overjoyed version, I was not familiar with that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Achtung Baby is their best in my opinion. 

Yes I agree with that.

But The Unforgettable Fire is my favourite U2 album.

The first 4 U2 studio albums and Under A Blood Red Sky are part of my musical DNA. After those albums something was lost that never got back.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

I'm pretty much that way about Bruce's first four and Nebraska.

Unforgettable Fire for me is their best. I have stuck with U2 though, through some lean years, overblown live shows and vacuous albums. But - Songs of Experience is a beauty of an album. 

21 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

We all have those phases, I think :huh:, I’m still in my Stevie Wonder phase.............mostly 

Ah. Stevie. I took my Mum to coffee, lunch and the dentist today.I had Radio Wales on the car radio ( very quietly) and Mistra Know-it-all came on ( about 13.50 UK time ). I stopped the car , turned it up and then we drove on.

What a song.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

You need some JJ Grey & Mofro in your life!!

• Like 1