Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

I only really listen to Bruce occasionally... more so now than I have in ages with all these Archive releases! I barely ever listen to bootlegs anymore... 

I listen to a handful of albums regularly (Darkness, WIESS, Nebraska)... other than that I listen to songs on playlists or my MP3 player when they float by on random. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

An absolute pet peeve of mine how artists like Stevie Wonder and Prince aren’t held in the same regard as Dylan, the Beatles or the Stones. And not just them, artist like James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic or Curtis Mayfield clock in lower in those greatest artist list they run in Rolling Stone and the like than they deserve. 

For a long time I was a defender of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for various reasons, while not denying almost any of the criticisms. But the fact that fucking KISS is in the hall while the superior by a factor of roughly seventeen billion P-Funk isn't is absolutely inexcusable and beyond reprehensible. Not that I feel strongly about it in any way. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I've gotta hear this.....I was a huge U2 fan from 1983 to 2005. I still like some of it.

Started years ago, I'm sure as far back as when I was in primary school. The full details are difficult to remember, but I do know swore after listening to them once or twice that I never would again*.

*Until the covers poll and that cool version of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For with Bruce.

Would just like to say cheers to everyone as well. I didn't expect the response to me saying I'm done with Bruce for the meantime and have no other music to listen to to be a load of you lot recommending different artists and different genres to check out. 

It's another example of this place and its members being really really cool. 'preciate it. 

• Like 4

In my opion this show is also a good chioce fror an archive release

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ
March 7, 2003

1.  Atlantic City
  2. The Rising
  3.  Lonesome Day
  4. Prove It All Night
  5. Empty Sky
  6. You're Missing
  7. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
  8. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
  9. It's Hard to be a Saint in the City
  10. Worlds Apart
  11. Badlands
  12. Out in the Street
  13. Mary's Place
  14. Countin' on a Miracle
  15. Jersey Girl (solo piano)
  16. Into the Fire
  17. Tell Me Why
  18. Glory Days
  19. Born to Run
  20. My City of Ruins
  21. Born in the USA
  22. Land of Hope and Dreams
  23. Dancing in the Dark
  24. Roll of the Dice
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

For a long time I was a defender of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, for various reasons, while not denying almost any of the criticisms. But the fact that fucking KISS is in the hall while the superior by a factor of roughly seventeen billion P-Funk isn't is absolutely inexcusable and beyond reprehensible. Not that I feel strongly about it in any way. 

Weren’t they inducted by Prince at some point? That Westbound run of Funkadelic albums was a classic run if there ever was one. The size of that extended Mothership boggles the mind. Listening to music today I cannot help but wonder if their work and that of James Brown, isn’t in fact exceeding that of the Beatles or Dylan. Hip Hop culture became a much more dominant force than Rock music in the past 45 years or so.

10 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Weren’t they inducted by Prince at some point? That Westbound run of Funkadelic albums was a classic run if there ever was one. The size of that extended Mothership boggles the mind. Listening to music today I cannot help but wonder if their work and that of James Brown, isn’t in fact exceeding that of the Beatles or Dylan. Hip Hop culture became a much more dominant force than Rock music in the past 45 years or so.

Consider me corrected and embarrassed. I was sure I checked their wiki and didn't see it. So...yay! 

I remember an edition of the Rolling Stone Album Guide that said something about, in terms of influence, James Brown dwarfing that of Elvis, Dylan and the Beatles.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marnix said:

In my opion this show is also a good chioce fror an archive release

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ
March 7, 2003

I have the bootleg of this show.  It's very good.  Roll of the Dice closer is waaayyy better than the album version, and totally appropriate for a gambling town. 

On 2/28/2018 at 10:41 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Would just like to say cheers to everyone as well. I didn't expect the response to me saying I'm done with Bruce for the meantime and have no other music to listen to to be a load of you lot recommending different artists and different genres to check out. 

It's another example of this place and its members being really really cool. 'preciate it. 

The people here ARE really cool. And, of course, there's little most of us enjoying talking about more than music. 

But you're also a valued member of this community who's contributed a lot over the years. And, well, as the bard once said, we take care of our own. (Only in this case it's meant unironically.) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

Whatever it is I am sure some people will enjoy it and others will complain.

only real complaints I really see on this forum is for unrepresented tours, with last months I was like hmmm at first but really thought it was excellent release. 

7 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

A Wrecking Ball / High Hopes show. Kilkenny July 2013. Featuring the most emotional THL to date. 

I'd be down for that.  I love This Hard Land, one of his best imo.  It doesn't get played enough. 

Can't believe tomorrow is archive day, how time flies! 

Got to be a Rising show this time, right?

As much as I'd (J would) love Wembley 2002, I can't see it being anything else other than a Shea stadium show. I hope any Rising tour show is Rising song heavy, though. I've never actually listened to a single Rising tour boot, so I'm doubly excited to get a sense of the tour, so hoping for a fairly representative show!

That said, it probably won't be a Rising show, so, as there's been two non E Street shows in a row, I'm going for a huge 85 stadium show or Leeds 2013. 

In reality, though, I'm fairly sure whatever is thrown at me tomorrow will leave me £10 short and very happy. 

• Like 1