Greasy Lake Community

Next Archive - Any Rumors?

4 hours ago, Kooly said:

I was at that show. The highlight of the show for me, for lack of a better term, was the spooky trilogy of Stolen Car/Wreck on the Highway/Point Blank. Right between the eyes. You couldn't help but think of John Lennon, or your own mortality, in the quiet of the performance.

Didn't realise my excitement for this show could be piqued any more, but wow. I can only imagine what it must have been like in that room, on that night. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Didn't realise my excitement for this show could be piqued any more, but wow. I can only imagine what it must have been like in that room, on that night. 

x2. 

What Kooly's said sounds simply haunting and being the morbid bastard that I am, I'm desperate to have this show released by Nugs now.

See what you've done now bringing up this show, Bobby? I was anxious enough as it was for the Vietnam Vets and show I posted last night! :lol:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Is there any reason to believe, other than hopeful optimism, that it was pro taped?

8 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

Is there any reason to believe, other than hopeful optimism, that it was pro taped?

There was recording done at shows from Nassau later that month, hopefully it means all shows in December were taped. 

There's also pro-tape footage from Landover on November 24th, which was just over 2 weeks before the show on the 9th was played. 

All in all, you never know. 

An interesting tidbit about the River tour; When Bruce played at the Spectrum in Philly in Dec. 1980, two of the shows had 34 songs, and the Dec. 9 show had 35. When he came back to Philly in July 1981 after touring Europe, most of the 5 shows were whittled down to 26 songs. Good thing the internet wasn't around then. :o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

There was recording done at shows from Nassau later that month, hopefully it means all shows in December were taped. 

There's also pro-tape footage from Landover on November 24th, which was just over 2 weeks before the show on the 9th was played. 

If I'm not mistaken, though, the footage was shot by coliseum employees using the in-house system, not by any of Bruce's people. 

5 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

If I'm not mistaken, though, the footage was shot by coliseum employees using the in-house system, not by any of Bruce's people. 

That's right. They even hung up microphones on the ceiling for the sound; it was an illegal video (just like the 1978 video from the same venue).

10 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

I'm 1,000% in the hopeful optimism camp. 

Something in me feels they wouldn't have pro-recorded this concert out of respect for John Lennon (i.e. pro-recorded suggests you want to make money from the recording, maybe they wouldn't be comfortable selling a show that 'benefited' from the death of a peer? Not sure how else to put it, hope you get what I mean).

On the other hand, I could also see the opposite. They decided to perform the show, they knew they'd be fired up for it and it would be a one of a kind performance. Surely somebody thought "yeah we'd better document this"

11 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I'm 1,000% in the hopeful optimism camp. 

Something in me feels they wouldn't have pro-recorded this concert out of respect for John Lennon (i.e. pro-recorded suggests you want to make money from the recording, maybe they wouldn't be comfortable selling a show that 'benefited' from the death of a peer? Not sure how else to put it, hope you get what I mean).

On the other hand, I could also see the opposite. They decided to perform the show, they knew they'd be fired up for it and it would be a one of a kind performance. Surely somebody thought "yeah we'd better document this"

This is my exact same thinking re' the Vietnam Vets show. It was always going to be a significant, one of a kind show which you would think they'd have recorded 'just in case' for posterity. Versus not wanting to exploit a benefit situation for personal financial gain. (Although selling the show and generating even more money for the Vets by donating some or all profits to a Vet organisation seems a workable option...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the Rising tour will be the next release (you will never know offcourse) from which leg do you prefer a show? 

A more standard set with a lot of Rising songs or a show with less Rising songs and more rare tracks played?

I would prefer a European indoor (not the Wembley show but my first show Ahoy Rotterdam) or a European stadium show. What i really liked were opening with an accoustic song song solo followed by The Rising and Lonesome Day. Which was really brilliant!!

47 minutes ago, Marnix said:

If the Rising tour will be the next release (you will never know offcourse) from which leg do you prefer a show? 

A more standard set with a lot of Rising songs or a show with less Rising songs and more rare tracks played?

Definitely +1 for a standard show with lots of Rising material, preferably one from an earlier U.S. leg. That said, I'd also love one of the intense European shows, so I have been converted to Wembley 2002! 

Can't see the first Rising show release to be anything other than a Shea Stadium show, though. 

48 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Any significant St Paddy's Day shows in the Bruce cannon? That might give a clue?

I couldn't find any following a (very) quick google, maybe something Ireland related? If so I can't get past it being a Seeger or GOTJ show which I'm not too excited to revisit. 

Also, we're overdue another very modern show, so I'm expecting to see another Magic or Wrecking Ball release soon (hopefully after another River, 75/74 or Rising release!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Can't see the first Rising show release to be anything other than a Shea Stadium show, though.

With plenty of rarities and some special guests, I do not doubt the Shea Stadium shows were great shows. But representative of a regular Rising Tour show they are not.

4 minutes ago, Lampi said:

With plenty of rarities and some special guests, I do not doubt the Shea Stadium shows were great shows. But representative of a regular Rising Tour show they are not.

To quote an old friend from school.. "Canna we no' have a little o' each?"

5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Which is probably why they are favourite, going on past releases, to be released first.

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Oh dear. What have you just unleashed? :o 

For me Ahoy Rotterdam was my first live experience with The Boss and I was really impressed what i experienced and saw during that show. So thats why I prefer the Ahoy show above the Wembley show. It's only my own feeling and experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

*Any significant St Paddy's Day shows in the Bruce cannon? That might give a clue?

Brucebase has a 'On this day in Bruce history' chapter, but at this very moment still lists the events on 15 March instead of 17 March (time difference and all that).

According to Brucebase, the following shows/events on 17 March:

17.3.1973, Boston. No known setlist and no known audio.

17.3.1988, Chicago, Tunnel Tour. According to Brucebase, Rosalita includes an Irish jig in honour of St. Patrick's Day in Chicago.

17.3.1996, Dublin (!). Bruce guests during a Joe Ely show (next Bruce show is the officially released Belfast show, 19.3.1996).

17.3.2008, Milwaukee. Apparently no St. Patrick reference, but a reference to the Milwaukee Bomb Scare Show ('Are Ya Loose?')

17.3.2009, Asbury Park. Closed rehearsals for the WOAD Tour (so without an audience).

17.3.2016, Los Angeles. Tour debut of American Land, on St. Patrick's Day.

Yes, Brucebase knows everything.:)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marnix said:

For me Ahoy Rotterdam was my first live experience with The Boss and I was really impressed what i experienced and saw during that show.

...and proof that a very great show does not have to be a (very) long show full of rarities and epics. A short but intense show with a standard setlist can also be very great (this probably the best show I ever saw).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Brucebase has a 'On this day in Bruce history' chapter, but at this very moment still lists the events on 15 March instead of 17 March (time difference and all that).

According to Brucebase, the following shows/events on 17 March:

17.3.1973, Boston. No known setlist and no known audio.

Now THIS would be something!

• Like 2

Anybody gonna just die if we don't get a Rising tour show in April?  Lol, I'm buying them all no matter what, but I can totally see myself opening up Nugs on 4/6 and seeing another Seeger Sessions tour show or something like that.  It won't be the end of the world, and I will still buy whatever they put out ... but I am gonna say ... kinda softly, just to myself ...  "goddammit, wtf"...

2 hours ago, crdowning said:

Anybody gonna just die if we don't get a Rising tour show in April?  Lol, I'm buying them all no matter what, but I can totally see myself opening up Nugs on 4/6 and seeing another Seeger Sessions tour show or something like that.  It won't be the end of the world, and I will still buy whatever they put out ... but I am gonna say ... kinda softly, just to myself ...  "goddammit, wtf"...

Honestly, nah. I'm past the point of caring what gets released in the sense of I'm going to listen to it anyway so what does it matter which tour it was? Obviously I have my preferences/favourites and in the build up I'm gonna have some fun predicting what's going to be released and mentioning about 40 shows that I want to be released every time I change my mind. 

Seeing as you used it as an example, if on the 6th a Seeger show is released yeah there'll be a momentary thought of "well that's underwhelming/they probably have thousands of hours from the BTR, Darkness, River, BITUSA, ToL, Rising, Magic, Wrecking Ball tours and they're releasing this?" but after that I'll remember how much I enjoyed the Jazzfest show and start looking forward to listening to it. 

• Like 2