Recommended Posts

Very structured & interesting text, thanks SG! I did not know the correlation on hearing loss and dementia. Having hearing aids myself, I hope it will (or does) not happen on me ...

The whole debate on Bruce's possible plans is for me mostly a nice read in the early morning or late night in bed, I glance at some comments, think about others, smile at ones, and just hope for concrete news to outcome. I'm a fan in the positive sense of the word, as it's mostly used to my knowledge. Other than this - the negative - I would use the word fanatic.

It's the internet in the end...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit - 5 years ago I thought, "Ya know  if he continues to tour I hope he adds a matinee ... I'm in bed by 10.'"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SydneyGirl said:

So if Bruce is actually contemplating this Broadway run they are some serious choices to make. I don’t envy him having to face the task of being an adult balancing his own and his family needs against those of people who seemingly do not have enough empathy to imagine the real challenges he faces. Good luck with that Bruce.

I don't think this is entirely fair. I think I'm a very empathetic person- I understand the issues that he faces. I've supported almost everything he does. I've never complained about setlists, or criticized performances, as many did on the last last tour especially. I've defended him to critics, including those who have called him a hypocrite for singing about the less fortunate while he's a millionaire. I feel that I've been a "loyal" fan, whatever that means. So, I think it's only natural that I feel a real sense of disappointment that it looks like getting to see my favorite artist perform live might be becoming a luxury that I can no longer afford. If that translates to "a bizarre sense of entitlement", then I guess I'm guilty (selfish person that I am)..

So, I'll just wish him luck and hope it turns out to be everything he's looking for.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, misty rain said:

I don't think this is entirely fair. I think I'm a very empathetic person- I understand the issues that he faces. I've supported almost everything he does. I've never complained about setlists, or criticized performances, as many did on the last last tour especially. I've defended him to critics, including those who have called him a hypocrite for singing about the less fortunate while he's a millionaire. I feel that I've been a "loyal" fan, whatever that means. So, I think it's only natural that I feel a real sense of disappointment that it looks like getting to see my favorite artist perform live might be becoming a luxury that I can no longer afford. If that translates to "a bizarre sense of entitlement", then I guess I'm guilty (selfish person that I am)..

So, I'll just wish him luck and hope it turns out to be everything he's looking for.

Your not a selfish person misty

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2017 at 9:56 PM, SydneyGirl said:

 

·         Some people on fan sites with no perspective, 

 

What exactly would having perspective entail?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, misty rain said:

. I feel that I've been a "loyal" fan, whatever that means.

Whatever that means indeed.  No one has ever explained what they mean by that when they say such a stupid term.  

Does it mean we love every single song and every single note he's ever written and sang?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only pee'd once last night.

Small victories.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney Girl's eloquent post lists all of the excellent reasons why Bruce may be thinking of this residency. My only reservation is if, and it is still a big if, the rumours are correct and it is geared around further promoting a book that surely most of those interested in it will have purchased in some form or another by now. We have been teased in the past by accounts of how Bruce's (2011?) solo album was going to be next and how different and how good it was. So let's hope it doesn't get put "high upon the shelf" but that we get to hear it and that it becomes a feature of these shows. The Broadway stand is an opportunity to do something different. Bruce's songwriting well may have become somewhat drier in recent times than we've become accustomed to but there are still enough songs that have either never been released at all or released but hardly if ever played live. Let's hope this is an opportunity to hear some of those too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Springsteen is one of the few artists who can dictate pretty much when, where and how he wants to tour or play live. If he wanted to do a short run of shows he could do. If he didn't want to travel he could easily play anywhere in the  States relatively close to his home base. Yes, there may be some restrictions such as health/family etc but even the members of the E-Street band have said they're pretty much available when needed. Even if they're not Bruce has managed to find a way around it. If he does the Broadway run it'll be because he wants to, as simple as that. No need to look for any justifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Your not a selfish person misty

:)

Thanks, Daisey. ;)

9 hours ago, Kay said:

Whatever that means indeed.  No one has ever explained what they mean by that when they say such a stupid term.  

Does it mean we love every single song and every single note he's ever written and sang?  

I'm not sure I know either, Kay. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Now of course he will have to factor in the negatives:

 

·         Some people on fan sites with no perspective, no empathy and a bizarre sense of entitlement will label him a sell-out, past his use by date, lazy, milking his fans…"

 

I think this is the LAST thing on his mind.  Bruce's harshest critic is, and has been since day one, himself.  If he can satisfy himself, that's all that he seems to need; there are countless examples of this since the beginning of his career.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2017 at 3:20 PM, misty rain said:

Thanks, Daisey. ;)

I'm not sure I know either, Kay. 

I actually know but my preference is to maintain a dignified silence on this issue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Springsteen is one of the few artists who can dictate pretty much when, where and how he wants to tour or play live. 

I don't think that's true... I think there are plenty of artists who can do this and make it a success... plenty of artists older than Bruce, his peers and next generation artists could all do something like what Bruce is rumoured to be planning, and sell out the shows no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at the end of the day life is about choices, bruce will make his, as me and everybody else will make their choice, but mine as most on here i guess have to be made with many other considerations apart from pure choice if that dosent sound stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The high price of fame is costly. You can start of as a young and up an comer, and turn the world upside down. And Bruce has done this. He is great at what he does. He does what he wants to do. 
But, just because he's one of the greatest entertainers to walk into a music studio and stroll on that stage, doesn't mean that he is good at something else.

We may dream of fame and fortune, but I don't think most of us could handle it. Your name and photo in magazines (worse now, due to social media) and during the Born To Run shows in London, Bruce must of realise that 'fame and fortune' is too damn scary.

Making someone a super hero is dangerous. Bruce, after all, is human. He has issues, he has doubts, and I don't think he's the same person at home as he is on stage. 

His mother, I think, was his rock. She was the stable one. He married Julianne during Bossmania of BITUSA, and that didn't turn out. Now, Patti, and later, his kids are his rock.

He made up with his father, but now, as an older man, he knows what his father went through. Today, we are lucky. It's okay to admit you have mental issues, depression etc, you can seek help. But Douglas had no idea. He was a MAN, and men, in those days, do not have those problems. And this caused Douglas to sink deeper into his metal hell.

Bruce saw this happening to him and took action. 

So, Bruce is playing on Broadway. Well, he is a perfromer, so why not? 

The hardest part of being a rock star is growing old without growing ridiculous. Bruce has seemed to manage to keeping it real.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mark V said:

The high price of fame is costly. You can start of as a young and up an comer, and turn the world upside down. And Bruce has done this. He is great at what he does. He does what he wants to do. 
But, just because he's one of the greatest entertainers to walk into a music studio and stroll on that stage, doesn't mean that he is good at something else.

We may dream of fame and fortune, but I don't think most of us could handle it. Your name and photo in magazines (worse now, due to social media) and during the Born To Run shows in London, Bruce must of realise that 'fame and fortune' is too damn scary.

Making someone a super hero is dangerous. Bruce, after all, is human. He has issues, he has doubts, and I don't think he's the same person at home as he is on stage. 

His mother, I think, was his rock. She was the stable one. He married Julianne during Bossmania of BITUSA, and that didn't turn out. Now, Patti, and later, his kids are his rock.

He made up with his father, but now, as an older man, he knows what his father went through. Today, we are lucky. It's okay to admit you have mental issues, depression etc, you can seek help. But Douglas had no idea. He was a MAN, and men, in those days, do not have those problems. And this caused Douglas to sink deeper into his metal hell.

Bruce saw this happening to him and took action. 

So, Bruce is playing on Broadway. Well, he is a perfromer, so why not? 

The hardest part of being a rock star is growing old without growing ridiculous. Bruce has seemed to manage to keeping it real.

 

Nice post Mark :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mark V said:

So, Bruce is playing on Broadway. Well, he is a perfromer, so why not? 

Because, something about the idea of being on Broadway seems pretentious to me. There- I said it. Just my opinion.

What would impress me, is if he rented a small club and charged $20 a head to get in (since he doesn't need the money) like the Rolling Stones did. I'd never get into that show, either, but it would be badass.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J said:

I don't think that's true... I think there are plenty of artists who can do this and make it a success... plenty of artists older than Bruce, his peers and next generation artists could all do something like what Bruce is rumoured to be planning, and sell out the shows no problem.

I was speaking relatively in that his tours don't have to be dictated by finance, and he will pretty much sell out any gigs he decides to play. In other words it doesn't have to be a Broadway run, but there is obviously something in that, that appeals to him. He's done stadiums, theatres, clubs, arenas. He's toured solo acoustic, without the E Street Band...Maybe it's the challenge of something new,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, misty rain said:

Because, something about the idea of being on Broadway seems pretentious to me. There- I said it. Just my opinion.

What would impress me, is if he rented a small club and charged $20 a head to get in (since he doesn't need the money) like the Rolling Stones did. I'd never get into that show, either, but it would be badass.

That small club scene would be great. Who knows, maybe he will win a Tony, to go with his grammys and Oscar...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark V said:

That small club scene would be great. Who knows, maybe he will win a Tony, to go with his grammys and Oscar...

That's it! He's going for the EGOT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this