Sign in to follow this  
doesthisbusstop

SD card slot in car audio

Never had one of these before but my next car will. Question, do live concerts (like the Bruce downloads) in FLAC or FLAC HD play gapless? And is it the same if you use a USB thumb stick in the USB slot. 

Also, do some car stereos downsample from 24 bit HD files to 16 bit output sound through the speakers, or is it just a case of the speakers will play it at 24 bit if the file is 24 bit? 

I don't want to get too technical with DAC and DSP processing but I just wanted to know if an HD flac file is played via SD card / USB stick then the sound will not be downsampled. 

Thanks 

I've had this in my last two cars (both Audi's). The latest car plays files that the previous one wouldn't. No idea if they downsample, but although the latest one plays more types of files, the earlier one had a better system (Bose) and sounded better.

As for gapless - bad news. They both have gaps between tracks. There may be a way of overcoming this, but I haven't bothered. I just play directly from my iPhone.Latest car also offers Apple Carplay. It's OK, but I could live without it.

J   

I've got two SD slots in my car for some reason, I guess one could be used for audio and one for maps for the satnav or something... dunno.

Anyway... as Ginslinger said, it doesn't play gapless, no. 

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Looks like I will need to still use my portable HD player then via Bluetooth or Aux-in lead for playing gapless live Bruce downloads. 

SteveJhb   

I use an Onkyo App on my iPhone which allows for playback of files up to 24bit, FLAC, ALAC or WAV. My car is old so my only choice is via the 3.5mil aux-in which means very good quality playback but not 24bit

Having heard music played via Bluetooth in a car I’ve never been impressed. I hear loss...

Dad in Law got a new Volvo recently. In it he has an iPhone cable, USB to lightning, which I plugged my phone into. Apart from it ‘talking’ to the system (song/track details coming up on the dash, which my car can’t do) the playback difference between 16bit and 24bit was palpable. I was blown away to be honest. So my next car will definitely have the USB option at least…