Sign in to follow this  
Highway is alive tonight

The Official Aston Villa Thread

1 hour ago, Highway is alive tonight said:

I spent over 30  years going,  Now the money i save i can go to extra Bruce shows including Braodway  :D

Pretty much the same here. Season ticket holder for more years than I care to remember, but got fed up with wasting our money on shite...

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, Highway is alive tonight said:

I spent over 30  years going,  Now the money i save i can go to extra Bruce shows including Braodway  :D

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Ann Jones said:

Pretty much the same here. Season ticket holder for more years than I care to remember, but got fed up with wasting our money on shite...

Wait, when I first started here and kind of new to this great sport. I asked a question about loyalty to one club, because you have so many options with so many clubs to chose from at many different levels. And I don't think either of you were around than, as I got my ass handed to me, for not understanding, your club is your club for life. You would divorce your wife/husband before giving up on your club.

So now I have two different people, from the same town, support two different clubs, that they have given up on. :P. What am I to think now? :D

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Wait, when I first started here and kind of new to this great sport. I asked a question about loyalty to one club, because you have so many options with so many clubs to chose from at many different levels. And I don't think either of you were around than, as I got my ass handed to me, for not understanding, your club is your club for life. You would divorce your wife/husband before giving up on your club.

So now I have two different people, from the same town, support two different clubs, that they have given up on. :P. What am I to think now? :D

No, I will never give up on Blues, I could never support another club. But, there is just no pleasure any more in actually going to the matches. It costs us almost £100 with the train fare, programme, a drink etc. and Blues have played such awful football for the last 5 years or so.

Watching Blues has been painful for much of my life, but when I was a teenager and in my twenties, it was, at least, cheap to go and I loved the walk up the Coventry Road, so full of expectation, loved the atmosphere, the banter, the singing and sometimes we played well. When we managed to get back into the prem about 15 years ago that was fun for a while as, although we were getting thumped most weeks, I enjoyed watching Thierry Henry, David Beckham, Patrick Vierra, to name a few, but that novelty wears off after a time, so now we hardly ever go down.

Unfortunately, despite Birmingham being the second city, in my lifetime we have not had teams to rival the cities of Liverpool and Manchester. Villa have traditionally been better than us and tend to attract higher profile fans. Blues are the ‘working class’ club in the city. Blues will probably get relegated this year to the third tier, but Villa could get promoted back to the prem.

Although Highway and I are polite to each other on here, the rivalry between us and Villa is pretty intense and the atmosphere at derby games can be vile. My oldest friend is a Villa supporter, but we never talk football!

Hope I have explained this to,your satisfaction!

5 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

No, I will never give up on Blues, I could never support another club. But, there is just no pleasure any more in actually going to the matches. It costs us almost £100 with the train fare, programme, a drink etc. and Blues have played such awful football for the last 5 years or so.

Watching Blues has been painful for much of my life, but when I was a teenager and in my twenties, it was, at least, cheap to go and I loved the walk up the Coventry Road, so full of expectation, loved the atmosphere, the banter, the singing and sometimes we played well. When we managed to get back into the prem about 15 years ago that was fun for a while as, although we were getting thumped most weeks, I enjoyed watching Thierry Henry, David Beckham, Patrick Vierra, to name a few, but that novelty wears off after a time, so now we hardly ever go down.

Unfortunately, despite Birmingham being the second city, in my lifetime we have not had teams to rival the cities of Liverpool and Manchester. Villa have traditionally been better than us and tend to attract higher profile fans. Blues are the ‘working class’ club in the city. Blues will probably get relegated this year to the third tier, but Villa could get promoted back to the prem.

Although Highway and I are polite to each other on here, the rivalry between us and Villa is pretty intense and the atmosphere at derby games can be vile. My oldest friend is a Villa supporter, but we never talk football!

Hope I have explained this to,your satisfaction!

Very much so........... hopefully you took it as a joke, because that is what my comment was meant to be.

That leads me to another question if you don't mind. If these two teams need up in two different leagues, like they have been up into two years as I started watching, with Villa being in the premier league and The Blue nose not. Do they still have a derby to keep the tradition alive. As in a so called "friendly" or does that tradition just stops?

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Very much so........... hopefully you took it as a joke, because that is what my comment was meant to be.

That leads me to another question if you don't mind. If these two teams need up in two different leagues, like they have been up into two years as I started watching, with Villa being in the premier league and The Blue nose not. Do they still have a derby to keep the tradition alive. As in a so called "friendly" or does that tradition just stops?

Of course I took your question in a light hearted manner! And no, there would not be a derby match unless the two teams were drawn against each other in a cup competition. Believe me, there would be nothing ‘friendly’ about a Blues/Villa match!

• Like 1

I haven't given up on Villa, i just reached a point in my life where sitting on a plastic seat outside on a freezing wet Wednesday night, didn't seem quite as appealing to me any more.  

I used to book my holidays so i wouldn't miss  match and followed Villa away and across Europe.  But now i'm happy with just watching the odd game on tv

• Like 1

I know this is the AV thread but it kind of turned into a whole Birmingham City thread.

Anyway, @Ann Jones, your Bluenoses are on the brink of being sent down, I know it's early but it doesn't look good. Is there hope?  

Just now, Jimmy James said:

I know this is the AV thread but it kind of turned into a whole Birmingham City thread.

Anyway, @Ann Jones, your Bluenoses are on the brink of being sent down, I know it's early but it doesn't look good. Is there hope?  

Not a lot! Even if we win tonight (which we won’t) we will not move up the table. I have very little hope, the club has been poorly managed for many years now, owned by a crooked Chinese consortium, who we all think were money laundering, then it was sold, we had a pretty good manager, but the new owners wanted a ‘name’ so appointed Zola, who was absolutely shit. Got Rednapp in who saved us from the drop last year, then he gets the sack and now we are where we are...

Still, Peaky Blinders on TV tonight, so who cares!! (Peaky Blinders is a crime/gangster programme, set in Small Heath, home to the Blues, based on a real life gang from the 20’s, and I love it!!)

• Sad 1

You guys happy with your draws?

Aston Villa v Woring or Peterborough United

Birmingham City v Burton Albion.

I have only just caught up with this thread, and am pleased to see it.

I am a lifelong Villa fan, having attended my first game in 1967 (at the Hawthorns, would you believe - for the uninitiated, that is the home ground of West Bromwich Albion who are our other big local rivals - more so than Birmingham City are as far as I'm concerned, because of where I was brought up).

I have followed the Villa through thick and thin, including relegation to the old third division in the early 1970s, to the night in Rotterdam in May 1982 when we became champions of Europe.  I have been lucky to see some magnificent players wear the old claret and blue, the likes of Brian Little, Andy Lochead, Ray Graydon, Bruce Rioch, Dennis Mortimer, Gordon Cowans, Alex Cropley, Andy Gray, Gary Shaw, Peter Withe, and Paul Mcgrath. 

It's maybe a generational thing, I don't know, but I too am now a very infrequent visitor to Villa Park, though it remains one of the great football grounds.

• Like 1

Saw this on the news, fair play to Willie, he's stuck with his team in the lower league. Did Trish Cameron not kid on he was a Villan and get them mixed up with West Ham?nintchdbpict000398061712.jpg?strip=all&w

On 9/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, Highway is alive tonight said:

Neale Cooper.336x223.jpg

The Aberdeen grape vine is telling me Coops is in a bad way following a fall of some description.

Scant on details, and nowt on the news, but word is he's in intensive care and not looking good.

Hope to fuck this is a tale growing arms and legs..........

Well....who knew there was a Villa thread..and that it covered Bhsm City as well ?!

Apologies if this takes it further off topic, but you might like this little anecdote.

Bham, like most clubs I guess, use some of their stadium for meetings. I have probably been to more business meetings at footie clubs than I have matches.

About twenty years ago, I had to go Bham City for a work meeting if some kind. I used the opportunity of a trip into Bham to buy some work clothes, so I was carrying a couple of suits, some shirts etc. I got a taxi to the ground and the driver dropped me at the main entrance.

My meeting must have coincided with Bham sacking a manager and new manager materials being expected for interview.

Cue me, carrying luggage, lost and lonely, walking into a phalanx of sports reporters and camera man, eager to see who was coming to be interviewed for the job !

• Haha 1

Cooper is in a coma apparently. Nae sure if it's induced.

Script is that he fell down some concrete stairs either leaving or endeavouring to get to a party in a flat in Bucksburn.

A man who Beckanbaur once described as the best centre half he'd ever seen at that age group....... surely it canna end like this?

So, former Aberdeen chief executive Keith Wyness suspended by Villa amid reports Hector is serving a winding up order.

WTF?

I met Keith at a couple of doos when he was at the Dons, big robust, in yer face character.

Loved winding up the cheeks when he was here.

16 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Loved winding up the cheeks when he was here.

Looks like he is now winding up Villa.;)

• Haha 2

I'm hearing yer man John McGinn hit the ground running, Villa have got a steal there.

Word seems to be an initial fee of 2.75 mil with add ons.

I'd imagine the Cabbage have a sell-on in the deal also.

This lad is a player, strong, likes a tackle, can pick a pass and dictate the tempo of a game, ping a set peice and will get you double figures from midfield.

A lot of good young Scots have lost their way in the English second division, often cos of the physicality, but this laddie is built and that aspect shouldn't be an issue.

Just goes to show the ludicrous nature of the market in England when Villa can get a player of this quality at that price.

If he'd come from an English 3rd division team he'd have gone for four or five times that fee.

Steve Bruce sacked, at least he got a free cabbage.

Villa fans saying "lettuce rejoice"

• Haha 1

Strong rumour of Thierry Henry to be the next manager. This is just too upsetting, I have always been a big fan of Thierry (possibly because he is gorgeous and French!) The only possible upside is that he might live round here...