Sign in to follow this  
Highway is alive tonight

The Official Aston Villa Thread

20 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Strong rumour of Thierry Henry to be the next manager. This is just too upsetting, I have always been a big fan of Thierry (possibly because he is gorgeous and French!) The only possible upside is that he might live round here...

You'll like this Ann.

WBA fans were heard singing this to the tune of The Beautiful South's Rotterdam

"They've been to Rotherham and everywhere
Liverpool and Rome
Now they're throwing cabbages.. cabbages at home... Cabbages at home "

• Haha 2

Rumours up here that Hollywood Teeth could be in the mix?

It's been a good and a sad day for me, as a Villa supporter of some 55 years.

The appointment of Dean Smith and John Terry as head coach and assistant coach is great news.

But farewell Doug Ellis.

Up The Villa.

Ah, I hadn't heard about Deadly Doug, sad news but 94's a knock.

RIP fella

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, newcastle roy said:

You'll like this Ann.

WBA fans were heard singing this to the tune of The Beautiful South's Rotterdam

"They've been to Rotherham and everywhere
Liverpool and Rome
Now they're throwing cabbages.. cabbages at home... Cabbages at home "

Almost correct.  The Albion fans were singing 'they've been to Rotterdam and everywhere...' and not Rotherham and everywhere.

The reason they were singing Rotterdam (aside from borrowing directly from the song itself) is that Rotterdam is where we (the Villa) won the European Cup, in 1982, and it seems the Albion fans think we go on about it a bit.  I don't know why we would wish to go on about it really, but apparently we do, and apparently the Albion find it a bit annoying, hence the 'witticism' in what they were singing the other night.  I personally find it hilarious that Albion fans should sing a song that references Villa's winning of the European Cup.

Jeeeeez, imagine STILL harping on and on about winning a European trophy back in the early 80s..........

25 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Jeeeeez, imagine STILL harping on and on about winning a European trophy back in the early 80s..........

Indeed - and what's even better is when your local rivals start singing about it for you!

21 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

Indeed - and what's even better is when your local rivals start singing about it for you!

Being an Aberdeen fan, there was a measure of irony in my post .......:D

35 years and five months today.........

Yes, indeed, I remember watching your final on the TV, those were great days when the likes of Villa, Forest and Aberdeen were winning such major trophies.

3 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

Yes, indeed, I remember watching your final on the TV, those were great days when the likes of Villa, Forest and Aberdeen were winning such major trophies.

And when the return trip from Birmingham to Rotterdam by train, ferry and coach, plus the ticket to the final itself cost the princely all-in sum of £29.

25 minutes ago, Ian Price said:

Aye, England won the European Cup, what, 6 years in a row, 7 years out of 8 was it? (The year in between we beat the winners, Hamburg, in the Super Cup )

Then the Premier League came along and made everything OK again.

This Dean Smith / JT (captain, leader, legend) combo is literally going to end in tears.

The club have made a major schoolboy error.

Can you honestly imagine JT remaining as a Number Two for any length of time before his Alpha male silverback gorilla persona can’t take it any more, and he starts manoeuvring for Smith’s job.

Memories of South Africa 2010 when he caused all sorts of ruptions in the camp.

Make no mistake it will kick off big time in the Villa changing room and training ground probably by Xmas.

2 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

This Dean Smith / JT (captain, leader, legend) combo is literally going to end in tears.

Can you honestly imagine JT remaining as a Number Two for any length of time before his Alpha male silverback gorilla persona can’t take it any more, and he starts manoeuvring for Smith’s job.

Make no mistake it will kick off big time in the Villa changing room and training ground probably by Xmas.

I don't agree.  I'm no huge admirer of Terry, but he did a good job for Villa last year, gaining the respect of senior and less senior players and an initially sceptical fanbase, and a number of players this season (most notably Chester and Grealish) have seemed to miss his presence.  As Steve Bruce has mismanaged and decimated our defensive capability both pre and early season, we are in dire need of sorting out at the back, and Terry can do this straight away.  I don't expect Terry to be around as assistant coach long-term but Dean Smith is no mug, and I think he will benefit from having Terry around for as long as it suits all parties.  We have also appointed a highly respected director of football, and it looks to me as if the club is on a much sounder footing now than it's been on for some years.

5 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

For the first time in ages, Blues are above Villa.:D It won't last, of course...

Yes indeed.  I've heard the open top bus parade is taking place this evening, at 5pm? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ian Price said:

Yes indeed.  I've heard the open top bus parade is taking place this evening, at 5pm? 

:D 

Birmingham look pretty good at home this season tbf.

The Championship this season looks one of the most competitive in years.

4 goals form the man called Tammy - one of the 40 players deemed not good enough to sit on the bench at Chelsea

isn't 4 goals more than Morata and Giroud have combined?

Not my team but last night's game must have been quite something..3:0 down with 10 mins to go.... finished 3:3

20 hours ago, robk1 said:

Not my team but last night's game must have been quite something..3:0 down with 10 mins to go.... finished 3:3

Yes it is indeed TGLIE* .... (The Greatest League In england).

I'm tempting fate here.  But well done Aston Villa and Dean Smith, for setting a club record today, 10 wins out of 10.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, Royston Vasey said:

I've been looking forward to this.

so I guess the big question is will they be able to hold onto all the loanees as that formed half their promotion team

54 minutes ago, AMIW said:

so I guess the big question is will they be able to hold onto all the loanees as that formed half their promotion team

Not quite half, but the loanees that I'd like made permanent (Tuanzebe, Mings and El Ghazi) are much more likely to become permanent now we are promoted.  Abraham I could take or leave (preferably leave, to be honest).  As importantly, probably more importantly, our two finest players Grealish and McGinn, are already permanent and will now be going nowhere.  For sure there will be much to do, as the current squad is not Premier League quality.  However, under the management of Dean Smith (with our without John Terry as coach), and with our new and enterprising owners, and with the huge fan base we have, the future looks promising.

and of course Villa do have one celebrity fan

Prince William and John Carew