53 Esquire

PING: Steve Milton and the others making pricing accusations

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Glad you wouldn't use that argument.  To say he shoulda played elsewhere is beyond ignorant - as if people know the inner workings of other venues where they're certain Bruce could have kept the costs down.   And exactly, Broadway is Broadway, Bruce has played in Asbury Park and wherever else throughout the years, this makes it much more exciting.  And interesting.  

I don't know the inner workings of other venues or any venues for that matter.  But I'd bet $850 that if he wanted an intimate show up close and personal with his fans he could have chosen the Paramount in Asbury which I believe the costs would be much less than a NYC address.  I'm sure the Paramount would have been more than accommodating to Bruce as they always have been. 

I could have paid out $850 or $1700.  It wouldn't have made me broke.  But I have so many other places that absurd amount could go towards.  I've never had a problem paying for Bruce tickets.  I have paid more than cost more than a few times, but $850 left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  If a portion of these amounts were going to charity or something else then I would feel different.  It's not just that either, it's that there were so few more moderately priced tickets available as well.  Also, how TM deemed who should or should not get tickets wasn't right.  And what has already been said, the Standbys the first time around should have gotten a code first the second time around.

The whole thing was a mess except for those that got a code and were willing to pay $850 or the few lucky enough to grab tickets $300 or under.  The other people have a right to be annoyed by this without being belittled by the people that got tickets.

• Like 4

People who got tickets also have the right to be annoyed at the costs.  I know how many little lower end tickets were available, but that doesn't make anyone the authority as to where Bruce should play, or shouldn't play for that matter.  He could have done other things too, such as a solo acoustic tour, he chose not to this time around.  

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

People who got tickets also have the right to be annoyed at the costs.  I know how many little lower end tickets were available, but that doesn't make anyone the authority as to where Bruce should play, or shouldn't play for that matter.  He could have done other things too, such as a solo acoustic tour, he chose not to this time around.  

It's just a thought.  I never said I had the authority to say where he should or shouldn't play.  That's ridiculous if that's what you took from that.  Bruce said that he wanted intimacy with his fans.  The Paramount is a very intimate and beautiful theater.  Have you ever been there?

3112169500_c439377f61.jpg

3371276019_85d4d8d725_b.jpg

• Like 5

I've not been and it does look beauty.  Also, if you read back through the thread or elsewhere you'll see people other than you claiming he could have played other venues - can you imagine being an artist and your fans dictating where you play? 

One other thought regarding Asbury or elsewhere, how far is Asbury from NYC?  The latter has more of the travel appeal I assume from people abroad or further in the US, meaning they'd be more willing to spend more days in NY than Asbury with more to see and do.  So if he's going to do a residency, he's likely going to want to do it where people will make the trip.  

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

I've not been and it does look beauty.  Also, if you read back through the thread or elsewhere you'll see people other than you claiming he could have played other venues - can you imagine being an artist and your fans dictating where you play? 

One other thought regarding Asbury or elsewhere, how far is Asbury from NYC?  The latter has more of the travel appeal I assume from people abroad or further in the US, meaning they'd be more willing to spend more days in NY than Asbury with more to see and do.  So if he's going to do a residency, he's likely going to want to do it where people will make the trip.  

I have no problem with the venue.  Just the cost.

As far as people traveling to see Bruce, Asbury Park should hold appeal also...probably more so than NYC.

• Like 2

I'm paying, I'll be spending less than I would if he toured and I did multiple shows but...

This is it for me. It's an end. If he comes up with new music, has something new to say, I'll be back. The last tour combined with this, though: it seems Bruce has decided to reflect and dwell in a bit of nostalgia. I actually liked the US River shows because songs like Point Blank had been so rarely played recently they seemed new. But the European dates, sans Paris...I enjoyed the people I was with but the shows themselves weren't compelling. 

All good things come to an end. It has been a great run. I look forward to Broadway to give me a chance at understanding something that for four decades has been a huge part of my life. I'll be properly dressed for the theater, will have a pre-theater dinner etc. Still...

I'd trade it all for High Hopes A to Z in a friggen humungous stadium. Haven't heard those songs in Europe. Last new release. 

Like the new U2 stuff. Boomtown Rats are coming out with their first new album in 37 years. Really looking forward to it - Geldof is great live, but the recent run was too nostalgic. And if Bruce and the bands next tour is a Born in the USA retrospective: good luck with that. I won't be there.

I'll be ending  my nostalgia period on Broadway.

BTW: the real rip off started last tour. More "golden circles", floor priced higher than most seats, GA tickets about 35% higher than U2 is currently charging, for example. No, not the Rolling Stone rip off level but it started then. Seats on the field in the States with VIP sections (platinum seats)  for the ageing well to do audience.

Enough. Let's hope Bruce takes advantage of the fact that the audience is going to largely be hard core. We don't need the hits. How about being innovative: use the internet, allow people to input their ticket numbers and perhaps three requests per their particular show. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cherished the pre-shows on the 2013 leg of Wrecking Ball (Belfast: 

).

Let's have a show for us, the folks who don't need Sunny Day but would treasure Maria's Bed. That's my true hope for this show. Instead of the greatest hits with a song or two for the hard core, the stadium formula,  how about stories and songs for the hard core with a hit or two thrown in for the few wealthy casuals in the house?  Switch the ratio. That really could make this worthwhile. And...

Well, so help me, if he starts to play Sunny Day at $850 a ticket...do they ever charge the stage at a nostalgia show? :)

He who charges a lot needs to deliver. Let's see what he has for us. Then decide if it was worth it.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

It's just a thought.  I never said I had the authority to say where he should or shouldn't play.  That's ridiculous if that's what you took from that.  Bruce said that he wanted intimacy with his fans.  The Paramount is a very intimate and beautiful theater.  Have you ever been there?

3112169500_c439377f61.jpg

3371276019_85d4d8d725_b.jpg

It is a gorgeous venue. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Karembu said:

Happy to tell an Aussie bed time story.  Never trust a kangaroo.

We had been out to Jervis Bay I believe and had stayed over at a cabin near the beach on the way back to Sydney.  We were having a bbq at a park and this wild roo came over to say hi. So we all stroked it and took our photos with it but only looking back some years later did I realise the bastard had photo bombed us by getting his didgeridoo out for the camera.  Odd looking, like a long thin red carrot... Stood there proud as punch looking so pleased with himself too.  The indignity of it all.

That was much scarier than swimming with sharks...

Oh that reminds me of one of our first domestics 

We were at the zoo

Ok i love wellington zoo

We were at the zoo and the baboons were shell we say um self pleasuring them selves 

They have a really big enclosure with big windows and a happy boy baboon was in each window.

Men seemed to find this hillerouse and were crowded around pointing 

I just wanted to see the lions and tigers

Our next stop was the kangaroos - it just must have been the day to hang everything out so I know exactly what you describe in your photos 

I just wanted to see the lions and tigers !

• Haha 1

Properly dressed for the theater?  Is it Broadway etiquette to dress up?  Never said I wasn't ignorant of things myself...

Macy's have great sales by chance?  

11 minutes ago, Kay said:

Properly dressed for the theater?  Is it Broadway etiquette to dress up?  Never said I wasn't ignorant of things myself...

Macy's have great sales by chance?  

Yes, they do, and your foreign passport will yield you an extra 15% off of everything: including sale items! You just need to show it at check out. :)

I'm sure people will dress however they want. I just don't see this as a rock concert. It's theater, a different sort of theater. I mean, I guess we could start a line with numbers and everything but...we all have assigned seats. Our friends from Italy won't know what to do. :(  Not much in terms of concessions or food and drink inside...so dinner and, yes, prob a suit.

The pressure on those going to the first show to set the dress code for the rest of us!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I could have paid out $850 or $1700.  It wouldn't have made me broke.  But I have so many other places that absurd amount could go towards.  I've never had a problem paying for Bruce tickets.  I have paid more than cost more than a few times, but $850 left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  If a portion of these amounts were going to charity or something else then I would feel different.  It's not just that either, it's that there were so few more moderately priced tickets available as well.  Also, how TM deemed who should or should not get tickets wasn't right.  And what has already been said, the Standbys the first time around should have gotten a code first the second time around.

Even if some did go to charity, Bruce still gets to make a large amount and gets to write off his donations, not the person who buys the ticket who is still out $850.

26 minutes ago, Turkued said:

The pressure on those going to the first show to set the dress code for the rest of us!

Wonder if Bruce will wear the same duds throughout the whole residency like he mostly does on tour.  If he doesn't dress up I might not either.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Wonder if Bruce will wear the same duds throughout the whole residency like he mostly does on tour.  If he doesn't dress up I might not either.  

I plan to wear nice pants and top. Nothing fancier than I'll wear to Thanksgiving dinner with the fam.

• Like 2

A residency in Adbury would be something beyond perfect. There's so much that is right with that idea. Man. The things that could come from that. That would be utterly the best thing ever. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skin2Skin said:

I plan to wear nice pants and top. Nothing fancier than I'll wear to Thanksgiving dinner with the fam.

I'm going in bowler hat, and stone washed double denim, with silver Nike vandal supremes. 

• Haha 1

I'm going in black, whatever that attire happens to be.  Black jeans, black top or a plain black dress.  And black boots.  

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And with that I think it's time for me to log off for the night...

Them's some sweet dreams you're gonna have P. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Karembu said:

Maybe he will cover that famous Aussie song too... Tie me kangasexroo down sport, tie me kangasexroo down...

That would be $850 very well spent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kay said:

Where's Adbury?  

It's a secret. Private gig, invites only. Sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

How elitist.  

It's for the fairies and the elves that live in Sting's enchanted rainforest.