Greasy Lake Community

So what about this new solo album......and the BITUSA box set?

The thing has now been in the can for what, 2 years?? The way Bruce works, you have to wonder if by the end of this Broadway thing that he might be inspired to write new songs, making the solo album even more dated. I think Landau has got to realize that Bruce only has so many years left on this planet, and that they need to get the music out there as quickly as possible. Even if it means there isn't a supporting tour to back every project. "Nebraska" did just fine without a supporting tour. Besides, I don't think waiting for the perfect moment to release this solo album is going to effect its sales that much.

Also, with the news of Tom Petty passing and so many rockers of Bruce's vintage passing, he and Landau really, really, really need to get going on this Nebraska/Born In The USA box set that should have been released in 2014 to honor one of the highest selling records in American history. My best guess is that we aren't going to see a separate Nebraska box set because there was no supporting tour, and because the Nebraska material was recorded by the E Streeters at the same time that they were recording rock songs and other songs that were Nebraska-like in their stark, storyline type structure. I think both projects will be combined into one.

But the real reason why they need to get this box set moving is because there is so much material. I think this is one box set where we will see different editions: the box set, the deluxe box set, the super deluxe box set, etc. There is just too much material. Several pro shot concerts, several audio concerts, all sorts of news coverage and mini-documentaries (made at the time), the original Nebraska demo tape in its entirety, the Electric Nebraska sessions (8 songs were recorded by the band, in addition to "Losin' Kind"), the 1983 Hollywood Hills demos, and about 40 studio outtakes that were taken to completion by the band.....many of them ("King's Highway," "Drop On Down And Cover Me," "True Love Is Hard To Come By," "Glory Of Love," etc.) shortlisted for the Tracks box set. And then there will most likely be a new documentary made about the recording of Nebraska and BITUSA.

It's important that this box set get released by Bruce before he dies, and before too many members of the E Street Band die. Although Bruce has mixed feelings about the BITUSA album (as do I), it is what made him the biggest rock n' roll star in the world for a time.

But I guess the larger point is that Bruce, Landau and Co. need to speed up things up, and not be so dang concerned about releasing the new record, the new box set, etc., at the perfect time. There is no perfect time anymore. The clock is ticking, although with the kind of shape he's in, Bruce will probably be here for a long time to come.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Landau probably likes having the unreleased stuff in the baths for his posthumous business plan.

It's very cynical, but I see what you mean.

I am very unresolved right now, so many things feel up in the air or feel like they are about to crash. I could not get myself to read the articles in Vanity Fair, because I feel like something is odd about where things are now with regard to what is coming up. I expected the album to be out by now and a understated solo tour would be happening after the holidays. I was expecting this to happen after the summer vacation season and that we'd be moving on from looking back, rerecording old material and making box sets for now. 

I have to admit that based on what I have read today about this show, I have changed my mind about it and really hope in some way I can see it/hear it/experience it in some fashion. This feels like something really up my alley and now I wish I could get a single ticket and a hotel and a few hundred bucks for some food in NYC. 

As for the box set, I'm into it however they decide to do it. But, based on the track record on Tracks, BTR, Darkness, and The River, I don't think he will give us what we want in total. I expect the jewels to be hidden for the future and we will get something the majority of us will buy and kinda like. But the entire sessions will never see the light  of day. I feel like B/USA deserves the most lavish box ever due to it being a pivotal moment. But based on past purchases, the best we will get is a Darkness type box, which would not suck, but lacking in shedding light on the outtakes. B/USA deserves something good, but I'll take what I get.

I want this solo record. I really do. Now, today, or tomorrow. Please?

6 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I have to admit that based on what I have read today about this show, I have changed my mind about it and really hope in some way I can see it/hear it/experience it in some fashion. This feels like something really up my alley and now I wish I could get a single ticket and a hotel and a few hundred bucks for some food in NYC. 

I sent calvo a pm of a review that is so good.  Not that I was surprised to read that someone openly wept a number of times.  

2 hours ago, J said:

That solo album ain't ever coming out. 

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Landau probably likes having the unreleased stuff in the baths for his posthumous business plan.

1 hour ago, truenorthstrongnfree said:

I'm sure Sam, Evan and Jessie will release it in fifty years or so.

Retirement plan!:D

Bruce is gonna live to be 112 years old, and still be jamming out.  Well, I hope anyway.  Tom Petty's passing sure did darken an already bad day on Monday.  You're absolutely right, I hope they get a Nebraska/Born in the USA box set out this coming year, along with a new album and a Bruce on Broadway release, plus plenty of Archives. 

I do think that this whole "right time" is getting a bit silly now. At the end of the day it'll sell pretty well by today's standards - It's the new Bruce Springsteen album after all! There's not really gonna be a time where it's gonna sell considerably more than it would if he had just put it out in June/July or had dated it by now for the Christmas Markey. I think that'd have made the Broadway move a little easier to stomach for some as there'd be new material to digest while Bruce goes on his Journey Through The Past.

Also - I'd really like to see at least one more E - Street album - it's quite weird that I would rather Working on a Dream was their sign off than High Hopes (Despite liking both records but in different ways - and obviously I'd really like them to put out another ten records of Magic quality - but that's unlikely now)

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. It would be easy money for Bruce to release a BITUSA/Nebraska Box set. But where does it stop? Do we need an anniversary box set for Tunnel of Love, HT/LT etc?

Having said that, many great songs were left off BITUSA album, but made the cut as B-Sides or on Tracks. The album was big. Very big. So too, was the tour. And judging by the material out there, the tour was heavily filmed.

I would like to see a doco about the making of BITUSA,  the MTV videos, the tour (behind the scenes) and of course, a live DVD. 

Now, with the passing of Petty, Bowie, Frey, Prince, Donna Summer even George Michael, Bruce must wonder what the future has in store  for him. This is something that I am not prepared for. As I approach 50, many more singers/actors that I admire, are no longer here.

But in all fairness, Bruce does what Bruce wants to do. A solo album and a solo tour, and maybe later, another rock album with the band and another tour.

The problem is, rock stars have a hard time getting old. They put out new material do a tour, but fans just want to hear the old hits. Or, do they do a tour, without an album and play the old classics, only to have fans cry out "We want new stuff!" Or will Bruce do a tour with John Mellencamp, or Bryan Adams, or Stevie Nicks, or hell, U2?

I don't think he will retire and move to Florida live out his twilight years on Miami Beach. I think he will play as far as he can go, until his health tells him to slow the down.

Maybe, this Broadway gig is the start of something new, play in small clubs like he use to, and get up front and personal with his fans, as if to say 'Adious'

Then again, with the nutcase in the White HOuse and the nutcase in North Korea, we might be living the life of Mad Max.

5 hours ago, becausethenight said:

It's important that this box set get released by Bruce before he dies, and before too many members of the E Street Band die. Although Bruce has mixed feelings about the BITUSA album (as do I), it is what made him the biggest rock n' roll star in the world for a time.

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I agree with your sentiments.

But to play devil's advocate, I'd argue a Born in the USA box-set would sell a lot more if it was released after Bruce dies. 

In no way do I want that to be the case, but think about it this way, people who aren't massive fans, or even fans, tend to jump on bandwagons after the deaths of musicians. They're recognised and admired for their talents even more than they were when they were alive, I've noticed this in the last year with the likes of Prince, Bowie and I've even seen it in the last few days with Tom Petty.

As you say, it's the album that made him the biggest star in the world at the time, it's his most notable album and many people only know him for it, so I think it's really likely that, as quite shitty as it sounds, it's possible a BITUSA box-set will be released after he dies to cash-in on him. That's the album people know, and the one they're most likely to buy if jumping on the aforementioned bandwagon. 

Just a counter point of view to take into account. 

That's partly because the record companies jump at the chance to sell albums when an artist dies, and they release several posthumous compilation records almost immediately. 

3 hours ago, mad man with a box said:

I do think that this whole "right time" is getting a bit silly now. At the end of the day it'll sell pretty well by today's standards - It's the new Bruce Springsteen album after all! There's not really gonna be a time where it's gonna sell considerably more than it would if he had just put it out in June/July or had dated it by now for the Christmas Markey. I think that'd have made the Broadway move a little easier to stomach for some as there'd be new material to digest while Bruce goes on his Journey Through The Past.

Also - I'd really like to see at least one more E - Street album - it's quite weird that I would rather Working on a Dream was their sign off than High Hopes (Despite liking both records but in different ways - and obviously I'd really like them to put out another ten records of Magic quality - but that's unlikely now)

Aside from loving a good deal of High Hopes - a few weak numbers, only real dud song (This Is Your Sword) - I have to agree with you about how for a release there is no "right time," the concept which is something that Jon Landau has believed forever, yet besides that it may have never been true (or at least not in ages and ages), it's certainly not true at THIS point in Bruce's career. Bruce will sell at any time, any year; it doesn't need to be "for the holidays," the Christmas bullshit.

I agree, while he's reflecting now, it would be nice - I figure they're going to release it "in time for the holidays" which in this case makes sense as, they have to record him, probably film him (HBO? More buck$$$$) and then those of us who want to can hear maybe some CD or double CD of either highlights (best versions as they pick them to be), or else one full show (less likely). I myself don't care for this run but would like to hear it though. Maybe some performance of a song or more would blow me away; maybe not. But I'd like to hear it. The prices, one location, and also the seeming impossibility to record it (which I doubt, BTW) just add up to more money.

I'm not as curious as what this lost album is in the sense of, I have low expectations of liking it, but would enjoy hearing it too.

I'd like another E Street Band record but at this stage in his career -

aw hell,

Tom Petty's death just reminded me I'm glad Bruce is ALIVE - never mind if I don't like the way this Broadway thing is.

So now he's doing a narcissistic thing reflecting, and maybe great performances with it, who knows?

But at least he's around.

Oh man I saw a photo of Little Richard just now that shocked me, well a couple, I have a link:

http://www.wsiltv.com/story/36492701/music-legend-little-richard-makes-a-stop-in-southern-illinois

Anyway long may Bruce live!

But please open up the fucking vaults already! Tracks II, now that I would prefer to have, more than any recording of his current stand - all the songs that were planned for release in  1993 mentioned in Heylin's book, and more lost gems. Maybe some of the live shows from '71 (there is one), '75, '78 etc recorded for professional release, issued on Columbia. ALL would be accepted by Bruce fans even if Jon thinks they wouldn't, or would affect what he's doing now - hey, he already MADE IT, BIG TIME, 30-plus years ago, it just doesn't matter anymore re: any comparison. It doesn't.

Anyway yeah any time is good - just don't make it *limited*! That's the slimiest thing a performer can do with releases to his fans (along with charging a prohibitive cost).

And yes I liked a good portion of Working On A Dream too (not all).

7 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

What makes you think that Landau (70) will outlast Brooce, JF?  

You reckon it might be that pact he made with The Devil?

Archived