Paolo's Circus Story

New Archive release - The Stockholm show, July 3rd 1988

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:21 PM, J said:

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, doesthisbusstop said:

This release has made me realise that had the ToL tour been now I would have done 10 shows rather than the 1 I did at the time.

Despite the majority of the setlist being staples, the show had a structure which has been lacking in recent tours. And it deserved repeat attendance had I had the money to do so at that time. 

But I guess in those days, going to multiple shows was not so common. What’s the most ToL shows anyone here did? 

I did 4 of the 5 in LA

• Bruuuuce! 1

18 hours ago, jmw said:

Guess what I found on the mat when I arrived home. :)

Me too today...have to drive to a  meeting tonight, might leave early...Nugs have exceeded themselves with delivery this time.. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silvia said:

That's so romantic and nostalgic...I bet everything was magical that evening. How old were you at the time? 

I was 21 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grandslam said:

Me too today...have to drive to a  meeting tonight, might leave early...Nugs have exceeded themselves with delivery this time.. 

It is better than people hae been saying.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the lossless file is (significantly) better than the mp3 files? 

For some shows, if the source is 'bad', a better audiofile doesn't add much value, that's why I'm asking.

16 minutes ago, Wout said:

Does anyone know if the lossless file is (significantly) better than the mp3 files? 

For some shows, if the source is 'bad', a better audiofile doesn't add much value, that's why I'm asking.

Flac HD is phenomenal sound. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Flac HD is phenomenal sound. 

I think I read in the FAQ that itunes cannot play flac hd files, so I decided to go for the lossless files. 

Can't wait to discover this gem!!

(Unfortunately the show takes 1,5gb so my macbook is running out of memory!! Argh)

7 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Its the only band tour i missed in 37 years and i am kicking myself.

It is the best CD I have purchased, I have listen to 1 and 3 because I wanted to listen to a couple of songs, I will listen to the 2 CD tomorrow, and then start again from the beginning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Its the only band tour i missed in 37 years and i am kicking myself.

Yes, but were tickets also not very, very difficult to get? For Nassau maybe not as difficult as for New York MSG but still.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 11:16 AM, Wout said:

I know what you mean, I don't see any reason people will torrent audience tapes in 23/48. But for the Nugs shows I would recommend lossless flac. But my 63 year old ears don't see the benefit of the HD files. Surly better but I just don't think the increased file size is worth it.

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Yes, but were tickets also not very, very difficult to get? For Nassau maybe not as difficult as for New York MSG but still.

I didn't like the album ...i did the perfunctory calls to ticketron only to be shut out .... Later i spoke to a guy i worked with and he had paid 60 dollars for tickets which seemed semi reasonable to me .... but it was too late ( and i really never scalped pre stub hub ) ....years later (like 2003 maybe)  a nice girl ( and i have no recollection of who or what website i was on which i feel terrible about BTW ) sent me some shows including the shoreline amphitheater when i heard You Can Look/I'm a Coward/Have Love Will Travel  for the first time that i realized i really should have tried harder for tickets ......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes, but were tickets also not very, very difficult to get?

Over here in Sweden tickets were much harder to get to the Born in the USA tour. For Tunnel tour I got 10 GA tickets for the Copenhagen show. I sold a couple of them to friends for no profit and 4-5 of them to strangers at a little higher price. I think I added about 20-30% to the face value. After that short experience I decided my scalping days were over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Over here in Sweden tickets were much harder to get to the Born in the USA tour.

Yes, but I was talking about the U.S.A. leg of the Tunnel Tour; specifically about the New York shows (Nassau Coliseum and Madison Square Garden).

In Europe it was different as all European Tunnel shows were in stadiums.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Yes, but I was talking about the U.S.A. leg of the Tunnel Tour; specifically about the New York shows (Nassau Coliseum and Madison Square Garden).

In Europe it was different as all European Tunnel shows were in stadiums.

Ok. That explains it. I read your post out of context.

On 24/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, phantomengineer said:

But my 63 year old ears don't see the benefit of the HD files. Surly better but I just don't think the increased file size is worth it.

The bigger file size was an issue for me when I ran out of space on my laptop so o just bought a very affordable Toshiba 1 TB external hard drive to store them all on. 

So I finally finished listening to this release and had many thoughts, most of which I can't remember, which is no great loss anyway. But some of them are that I'm not sure his voice ever sounded better than on this tour.

Also, for all some folks think everything was better in 1978, one thing unambiguously was not, and that was the catalog from which he could draw—since by 1988, he still had everything from 1978, but also ten more outstanding years' worth of material.

It was nice to hear Nils used a decent amount—not as much as he could have been used, but more than since the Reunion tour. 

"Quarter to Three" is one of my favorite Bruce covers, but boy howdy was this not a great performance...which I kind of enjoyed: it sounded like even the band itself was pretty tuckered out, which was a fine way to end the show, with them utterly drained...

...except for "Twist and Shout," which is absolutely my least favorite Bruce cover. At his best, he may well be the greatest (solo) cover artist ever, but damn does his version of "Twist and Shout," at least since the Born in the USA era, absolutely suck. It's no crime to not be able to live up to the Beatles cover, but his just really isn't Springsteen-worthy. 

Still a phenomenal show, and that it kinda peters out at the end takes nothing away from its essential greatness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Peterson said:

So I finally finished listening to this release and had many thoughts, most of which I can't remember, which is no great loss anyway. But some of them are that I'm not sure his voice ever sounded better than on this tour.

Also, for all some folks think everything was better in 1978, one thing unambiguously was not, and that was the catalog from which he could draw—since by 1988, he still had everything from 1978, but also ten more outstanding years' worth of material.

It was nice to hear Nils used a decent amount—not as much as he could have been used, but more than since the Reunion tour. 

"Quarter to Three" is one of my favorite Bruce covers, but boy howdy was this not a great performance...which I kind of enjoyed: it sounded like even the band itself was pretty tuckered out, which was a fine way to end the show, with them utterly drained...

...except for "Twist and Shout," which is absolutely my least favorite Bruce cover. At his best, he may well be the greatest (solo) cover artist ever, but damn does his version of "Twist and Shout," at least since the Born in the USA era, absolutely suck. It's no crime to not be able to live up to the Beatles cover, but his just really isn't Springsteen-worthy. 

Still a phenomenal show, and that it kinda peters out at the end takes nothing away from its essential greatness. 

This have been in my car since I got the CD.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Thank God someone else feels this way.

Give me the varied setlists from 1980 onwards any day of the week over the constantly samesey set lists of 1978. 

• Like 1