CosmicKid

Announcing the 3rd Not Quite Annual Greasy Lake Bruce Cover Song contest - DEADLINE EXTENDED

This sounds so great!

I am quite new to the GL-community so I didn't know about the previous contests. I look forward to everyone's submission this year!

As for myself, I am not that musical (unfortunately) so I will not participate in the contest. I do want to make my own music so this year I decided to learn the piano, something I should have done a lot sooner! It has always been my dream to play the piano, it's just such an amazing instrument. So this year I finally found the courage to start my musical journey ^_^ It's never too late to learn something new!

I have bought a couple of Springsteen songbooks because I actually want to learn to play his songs! I hope I can play 'Lost in the Flood' some day on the piano, that's my favourite song and I also love the solo-version of that song a lot. The Iceman is also a song I am really interested in. 

Anyway, I'm still not in a position to learn these complex songs, I'm yet a beginner so the only things I can play are easy children songs :P 

But perhaps, someday, let's say when the next GL-contest takes place, I'm able to play some piano for you!!!

• Like 3

Can we do a karaoke contest so we can all make fun of each other? In order to post you must submit a video:o

3 hours ago, Robo said:

Can we do a karaoke contest so we can all make fun of each other? In order to post you must submit a video:o

Or how about a Dancing in the Dark dance off? I'm pretty sure I can match the cringe levels of the notorious rehearsal video.   

• Haha 2

OK been a long while since I've been around here or any other forum, but this has got me interested.  I contributed a version of Cadillac Ranch to the covers album which featured some fantastic efforts.

I'd like to have a crack at Long Walk Home or The Rising

• Like 2

On 11/12/2017 at 12:27 PM, Ann Jones said:

We could form a trio with @tie that bind on 24th - cats chorus maybe:ph34r:

I can do handclaps.

And I can play the triangle. At the intermediate level. (I've only mastered the top two sides.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ladies, we may just be able to pull this off, Marilla on the triangle Ann and Rachel singing, me twirling my baton and I do believe we have a Lady Sax player Red Headed Women so come on all you other Ladies time to show your hand at how talented we ladies are. 

• Haha 3

I think I might take a stab at Cadillac Ranch. I don't have keys, synths, or sax to back me up but I'm thinking crunchy guitars? I hope everyone enjoys

• Like 3

On 2017-11-13 at 5:01 PM, Pastor Jeff said:

JJ, my son's band actually does a punk version of "I'm Goin' Down" in their shows!

I really want to hear this!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I think I might take a stab at Cadillac Ranch. I don't have keys, synths, or sax to back me up but I'm thinking crunchy guitars? I hope everyone enjoys

No keys synths or sax? Perfect!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

No keys synths or sax? Perfect!

Gonna head to my buddy's studio on Sunday. Here's hoping my voice wants to cooperate. The synth was too much on the studio version IMO. I loved the sax

• Like 1

UPDATE: I was informed when I got to the studio that I had 2 hours and I couldn't be fit in until after the new year. I did the best I could. 

1511120495565982475395.jpg

• Sad 1

I'll submit a version of Leah or Down in in the Hole. Depends which one i finish by the closing date. 

• Like 3

I'm officially withdrawing from the competition this year. What I left the studio with is  it something I really care to share with other Bruce fans. I worked as fast as I could and I just couldn't get anything decent. Maybe next year

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I'm officially withdrawing from the competition this year. What I left the studio with is  it something I really care to share with other Bruce fans. I worked as fast as I could and I just couldn't get anything decent. Maybe next year

the file must be sent before January 1st, there is still time, no?

7 hours ago, yvan said:

the file must be sent before January 1st, there is still time, no?

My friend whom I record my own music with is extremely busy around this time of year. I got there yesterday and he told me we had about 2 hours and that he wouldn't have anymore free time until after the new year. I'm 32 and fairly tech savvy but not when it comes to using his recording equipment.  I've always been the musician to just plug in and play. Aside from monitoring the levels, he agreed to play drums for this even though he is a metalhead. I had an idea in my head to stay fairly close to the original but try and add things to make it my own take. But, I sang and played everything else except for the drums myself. I chose Cadillac Ranch as it's a very easy straight forward song to play. Not to mention, it ranks in my top 5 Bruce songs. Number 1 is and will always be Badlands. I didn't choose to do it because of lack of instruments and I didn't want to potentially ruin my all time favorite song. But I digress.  Bottom line, there just isn't time. As I said in my last post, there is always next year.

5 hours ago, yvan said:

ok I understand :)

Actually, he felt bad cause he knew how much I wanted to do this and worked on it in his own time and sent my a copy...it ain't perfect but it's a lot better than what it was. I know the lake can be pretty critical but fuck it, do your worst ya bastards ;)

• Like 2

On 11/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, yvan said:

yes, thank you!

ohhh shugs — i recorded this, feeling very silly for even hoping people might like this. tnx for compliment

• Like 1

Just curious, do people generally rather covers that are close to the original or wildly different arrangements of them?

4 hours ago, Ciaran said:

Just curious, do people generally rather covers that are close to the original or wildly different arrangements of them?

Can be either. After all, Bruce himself has done wildly differing live versions of his own songs (Youngstown, Reason to Believe, Further on up the Road, BUSA etc). Straight cover versions are a bit boring and a bit 'karaoke' . Many of his song arrangements are so basic you can see them as a blank canvas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ciaran said:

With mine, I tried to stay close to the original while trying to add my own things.

• Like 1

I'll have a stab at Independence Day solo acoustic. Can't guarantee amazingly great audio quality though... Hope that's not an issue. It'll be more like a Nebraska outtake probably. :P

• Like 5

On 11/22/2017 at 12:08 AM, phantomengineer said:

Are multiple entries allowed?

No, one entry per GL member.