Skin2Skin

Bruce on Broadway, November 24, 2017

2 hours ago, tie that bind said:

Well yes that's true up to a certain point but putting cost aside for a moment, look  at it this way as you said by the nature of the beast of Broadway the theater being small, the short run of shows, the Celebs getting their tickets ( not that I`m saying they shouldn't be able to go like anybody should ) what proportion of Bruce`s fans has a realistic chance of seeing this show!. Daisey included I have long believed that Bruce is the master of live performance and this show is unique I may live in the clouds but I believe that as many of his fans should be able to see this show that wants to. That is what I mean by him alienating his fans or most of them. There may, of course, be reasons why he is doing this That we know nothing about and in that case, it would, of course, be different.

The majority of people in the audience are hard-core Bruce fans, based on my observation. Most of the US Bruce fans I know who wanted to get tickets have done so (there are exceptions, and by "wanted to get tickets," I mean people who were willing to pony up approx. $300/ticket--not the most or least expensive. And some have won tickets through the lottery or doing the will call ticket drop line). 

There have been a ton of shows Bruce has done that most Bruce fans will never get a chance to see--Christmas shows, the various small benefits over the years, etc, 

I am thinking that the special relationship that Bruce has always had with his fans (in part due to our outsized devotion, but in even larger part due to his accessibility and consideration) is partially what is behind this resentment regarding Bruce's choice to play Broadway, because I can not imagine another artist's fanbase having similar expectations. "My favorite singer is playing Broadway? How cool. Sure wish I could go," seems like the normal response to me. 

Not, "Why is he doing this--doesn't he realize some of his fans won't get to go??? And it's so expensive!!! Doesn't he know many of his fans can't afford that? Other people, less devoted fans, will be able to go instead! That's not fair."

I am fairly confident that is not typical fan base behavior, which is why the alienation question is so befuddling to me. 

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not judging (okay, I'm judging a little).

Many times I wished I could be at shows I wasn't able to go to. It was painful. I'm short, so I thought it would be really terrific if people got tickets based on their height, so everyone could see. Back in my most passionate fan days, I thought I should be given the job of creating a multiple choice test on Bruce songs and lyrics and that people who did the best would get the best seats (including me, of course, because I knew every album backwards and forwards). 

I remember getting a great single seat at a MSG show and finding out that the wealthy people in my row who saw Bruce quite often had paid a thousand bucks each for their tickets. AND THEN THEY LEFT EARLY! In my world of justice, those people would be penalized. Leaving early! Not knowing most song lyrics? Unpardonable offenses!

IOW, I can be unreasonable in my hopes and dreams. But I never really expected my version of justice to be enacted. 

Expecting Bruce not to choose the venue he wants for the vision he has seems unreasonable to me. THIS IS HIS ART. 

Being sad about missing this seems totally reasonable to me. Being resentful? Alienated? Not at all reasonable to me.

I've written variations of this before. I haven't seen any arguments that have changed my mind, because that most basic fact seems so salient.  but I'll keep reading what people have to say. Either I'm really missing something big or others are.

I really am going to try and not write more on the subject, because I hate to keep repeating myself and I'm sure others hate reading my repeating myself.

Is there anything similar to this in other fan bases? I'm really curious if anyone has any examples they'd like to share. Because sadness seems not just reasonable, but natural. Resentment/anger/indignation . . . not so much.

• Like 1

I appreciate the review S2S. My chance is next week. 

I actually agree with those who have knocked Mr. Springsteen for the pricing and location of this event, but not for doing it. There are larger theaters, there are places closer to his home that would have less of a fixed cost. None would provide the x factor that Broadway provides though. When Bruce signs with HBO or similar firm for a one off and/or releases the video the location is a plus. Fine. This is a business.

U2 is pricing balcony seats for their upcoming tour at $330. That's arena balcony. Scandalous. To their credit they do have a lot of cheaper seats and have kept GA on the floor at $80. I have no trouble with Bruce $850 top seats, would be fine if they were a grand or more - if they scaled the rest of the house lower. The fact there are only two rows of lower priced tickets is not acceptable to me. Yet I'm going, frankly in seats I can't afford but I'm going.  Why?

To say good bye. He tells us he hasn't written in five years. He feels no need to comment musically on the current political scene. The way the last tour ended, the four hour shows featuring the classics. Videos show him walking in a way that suggests continued back problems. It's been a long and glorious run, tons of fun, even more contemplation, but it's over. The book, this show: a very unique way to define his story and his legacy in his own way.

Long after Bruce and most of us are gone I suspect this production will be brought back, with Bruce clones, following the script, telling the story. This has been done for others but what's unique is the original here was performed and written by the star. That's pretty damn special.

Next week I will don a suit, put on my Sunday best and go to Broadway to see a show, hear a story and listen to some songs.  I will rejoice in this man's life, be thankful his has impacted mine in such a major way, will reflect on that but then cut the ties. If there are future concerts and shows, which on a full scale basis I doubt, I won't be there. I don't want to see the "Fat Elvis" version of Bruce and I don't think he wants any of us to. This is a pretty neat way of letting us in so we can let go. It's time.

(For those who feel differently, full props to you. Just explaining why I'm spending money that I really don't have to see the show. After around 200 shows this will be it for me. With gratitude for one last chance to reflect and, by my presence, say 'thanks').

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad you got a ticket in the end, @Turkued.  There was a time a few months ago when you were going to sue Ticketmaster, wasn't there?  I look forward to your review next week.  I hope it won't be the 'last time' for you.  I can't really see Bruce doing a 'fat Elvis' - but what I AM wondering is whether he'll ever go back to big stadium shows again, after this experience that he's had.

• Like 2

My word, there has been a lot of catching up to do this morning. I will throw in my penny worth!

After the Broadway show I felt, rather as Turkued does, that I had probably said ‘goodbye and thank you’. I agree with janeymarywendy that I can’t see him going back to stadium tours after this, although, obviously this is only my opinion, and I have been proved wrong plenty of times. What I am fairly certain of, is that I won’t  be joining those 90,000 people. Broadway was the most amazing experience and I am content to leave it there, on the highest of possible highs.

Thank you Bruce, for everything.

• Like 3

Ann, Turkued, Skin2Skin ... thank you (and a not thank you) for your poignant comments above.  They've got me feeling a bit melancholy in the wet light of morning.  Yes, there may well be no more E Street stadium or arena shows.  And would I want to go through them again, especially with no new significant music?  Maybe, maybe not.  Last time I was in the pit - at Coventry - Bruce appeared out on his feet at the end (he was suffering admittedly from a lousy cold) but bidding adieux maybe more than usual.  But he put on a brilliant performance despite all (including a bunch of drunks stumbling around half the pit, one happily chatting up my other half, and a separate scuffle involving other lads some yards away).  

I'm decided to talk to my other half and am starting to look at cheap flights from England to try to get over next month for a five-night weekend - we'll be able to try the lottery for only two days,  but will  be ready to queue and resigned to forking out loads if late tickets appear ... 

If we get the flights and a room, and fail to get tickets, too bad ...we'll do museums, restaurants (thinking of all the Bruce money saved), get out to New Jersey perhaps, maybe a MSG Billy Joel concert, shopping ...  I haven't been to Manhattan since I worked there (illegally) in the 70s and could have seen Bruce in Max's if I had known he existed.

Back to the problems of trying to download four shows from Nugs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Ann, Turkued, Skin2Skin ... thank you (and a not thank you) for your poignant comments above.  They've got me feeling a bit melancholy in the wet light of morning.  Yes, there may well be no more E Street stadium or arena shows.  And would I want to go through them again, especially with no new significant music?  Maybe, maybe not.  Last time I was in the pit - at Coventry - Bruce appeared out on his feet at the end (he was suffering admittedly from a lousy cold) but bidding adieux maybe more than usual.  But he put on a brilliant performance despite all (including a bunch of drunks stumbling around half the pit, one happily chatting up my other half, and a separate scuffle involving other lads some yards away).  

I'm decided to talk to my other half and am starting to look at cheap flights from England to try to get over next month for a five-night weekend - we'll be able to try the lottery for only two days,  but will  be ready to queue and resigned to forking out loads if late tickets appear ... 

If we get the flights and a room, and fail to get tickets, too bad ...we'll do museums, restaurants (thinking of all the Bruce money saved), get out to New Jersey perhaps, maybe a MSG Billy Joel concert, shopping ...  I haven't been to Manhattan since I worked there (illegally) in the 70s and could have seen Bruce in Max's if I had known he existed.

Give it a go, best of luck to you, and I apologise for making you melancholy.

Only a bit!  I have one mundane family problem to cheer me up and keep me busy.  My teen daughter is annoyed because I bought her two older brothers one of those silly Bruce Spruce Xmas T-shirts from Sainsbury, but not her.  And she usually dislikes all things Bruce!  Now she says she would have worn one.  Great!  I suppose I'm going to have to try to get her one if they're still for sale.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Only a bit!  I have one mundane family problem to cheer me up and keep me busy.  My teen daughter is annoyed because I bought her two older brothers one of those silly Bruce Spruce Xmas T-shirts from Sainsbury, but not her.  And she usually dislikes all things Bruce!  Now she says she would have worn one.  Great!  I suppose I'm going to have to try to get her one if they're still for sale.

Kids hey!!

13 minutes ago, micktonerdeaf said:

I posted on that thread to say they're down to £7.50.

I'd get Kate one for a laugh but I've a feeling her Auntie (not me, I'm her mum) might get her one (if she's seen it). :)

Eileen, off to Sainsbury it is.  Off this topic, I've stayed watching the price of The Killers O2 tickets - down to about £45 at the moment from close to band but with restricted view.  My daughter kind of wants to go as does one of my lads (but, don't tell anyone, she might have to miss a couple of lessons at sixth form). Decisions, decisions ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Eileen, off to Sainsbury it is.  Off this topic, I've stayed watching the price of The Killers O2 tickets - down to about £45 at the moment from close to band but with restricted view.  My daughter kind of wants to go as does one of my lads (but, don't tell anyone, she might have to miss a couple of lessons at sixth form). Decisions, decisions ...

Ah, let her go! Didn’t somebody once say something about learning more from a 3 minute record...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

My word, there has been a lot of catching up to do this morning. I will throw in my penny worth!

After the Broadway show I felt, rather as Turkued does, that I had probably said ‘goodbye and thank you’. I agree with janeymarywendy that I can’t see him going back to stadium tours after this, although, obviously this is only my opinion, and I have been proved wrong plenty of times. What I am fairly certain of, is that I won’t  be joining those 90,000 people. Broadway was the most amazing experience and I am content to leave it there, on the highest of possible highs.

Thank you Bruce, for everything.

Last Friday night I went with a friend to see Phil Collins, she had won tickets (which had a face value of £135 each) . He has had back surgery and walks very slowly with a walking stick and had to sit for the whole concert. His voice wasn't that great and it just made me feel incredibly sad seeing him like that. I have no idea if he needs the money or just loves the buzz of playing live who knows? I just sat there thinking would I want to see Bruce like that and I have to say I thought the answer was no. Now people are thinking Broadway might be the end and I suppose I can see why it would be a fitting way to call it a day after the last tour but I will be so disappointed if I don't get to see it. I'm really hoping if this is it he brings some sort of version to the UK so I can say goodbye too :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

Last Friday night I went with a friend to see Phil Collins, she had won tickets (which had a face value of £135 each) . He has had back surgery and walks very slowly with a walking stick and had to sit for the whole concert. His voice wasn't that great and it just made me feel incredibly sad seeing him like that. I have no idea if he needs the money or just loves the buzz of playing live who knows? I just sat there thinking would I want to see Bruce like that and I have to say I thought the answer was no. Now people are thinking Broadway might be the end and I suppose I can see why it would be a fitting way to call it a day after the last tour but I will be so disappointed if I don't get to see it. I'm really hoping if this is it he brings some sort of version to the UK so I can say goodbye too :(

So do I (hope he brings something to London).

I felt similarly to you when I saw Brian Wilson last year, I would never, ever want to see Bruce as enfeebled as that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, micktonerdeaf said:

My eldest missed school a few times cos of bands. Sometimes, I'd stand in the queue to get various artists' signatures for her but she went to the Toon to meet some band or other ... and was caught on the tv cameras!  She was caught, again, in the queue for The Rolling Stones - same teacher saw the clips both times ... nothing much was said about it. :)

Depends on what she'll be missing - if nothing much then ...

Wrong thread really, but mission accomplished - £7.50 Spruce Bruce small-size T-shirt bought from local Sainsbury for daughter who doesn't like his music, but says I can't love her as much as her two older brothers whom I bought the bad taste items for.  If she says she didn't mean it when I give it to her, I'll throw a pretend hissy fit/sulk and my wife gets it instead. 

Regarding ageing performers, I got depressed by viewing various YouTube bits of last year's Coachella festival with the superstar veterans.  I thought all the acts (Dylan, Young, McCartney, Waters, The Who, Stones) were past it for various reasons on that big stage - little or no new material, frayed vocals, some attempts to look much younger, decreased movement ... Worst bits:  Bob crackling his way through Desolation Row, Macca ruining Day In The Life with Neil, bloody flying pig again ... Mick could still move well,but is a man of a million wrinkles.  They can still all do some things no doubt well (Dylan old standards on record and artwork, Paul decent nostalgia shows, albeit with a limited voice ...) 

Phil Collins - he has said he got bored being retired.  But a limited voice and walking stick - oh dear (no doubt it will happen to me, but not in front of thousands of paying customers).  He used to be about the best jazz-rock drummer in the country in the 70s and early 80s.  I met him a few times when he was doing gigs with a group called Generis or something.

Bruce on Broadway could be worth seeing therefore ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turkued said:

I appreciate the review S2S. My chance is next week. 

I actually agree with those who have knocked Mr. Springsteen for the pricing and location of this event, but not for doing it. There are larger theaters, there are places closer to his home that would have less of a fixed cost. None would provide the x factor that Broadway provides though. When Bruce signs with HBO or similar firm for a one off and/or releases the video the location is a plus. Fine. This is a business.

U2 is pricing balcony seats for their upcoming tour at $330. That's arena balcony. Scandalous. To their credit they do have a lot of cheaper seats and have kept GA on the floor at $80. I have no trouble with Bruce $850 top seats, would be fine if they were a grand or more - if they scaled the rest of the house lower. The fact there are only two rows of lower priced tickets is not acceptable to me. Yet I'm going, frankly in seats I can't afford but I'm going.  Why?

To say good bye. He tells us he hasn't written in five years. He feels no need to comment musically on the current political scene. The way the last tour ended, the four hour shows featuring the classics. Videos show him walking in a way that suggests continued back problems. It's been a long and glorious run, tons of fun, even more contemplation, but it's over. The book, this show: a very unique way to define his story and his legacy in his own way.

Long after Bruce and most of us are gone I suspect this production will be brought back, with Bruce clones, following the script, telling the story. This has been done for others but what's unique is the original here was performed and written by the star. That's pretty damn special.

Next week I will don a suit, put on my Sunday best and go to Broadway to see a show, hear a story and listen to some songs.  I will rejoice in this man's life, be thankful his has impacted mine in such a major way, will reflect on that but then cut the ties. If there are future concerts and shows, which on a full scale basis I doubt, I won't be there. I don't want to see the "Fat Elvis" version of Bruce and I don't think he wants any of us to. This is a pretty neat way of letting us in so we can let go. It's time.

(For those who feel differently, full props to you. Just explaining why I'm spending money that I really don't have to see the show. After around 200 shows this will be it for me. With gratitude for one last chance to reflect and, by my presence, say 'thanks').

This is a beautiful and sad post.

It may be goodbye, it may not be. I remember attending a benefit in Pittsburgh where I thought Bruce's health was significantly diminished, and then he did the River redux tour with its standard of four hours of sweaty rock and roll magnificence. 

I don't think Bruce will ever become "Fat Elvis" (and by that, I am sure you mean a bloated and placid version of himself, barely able to wheeze out a song). This two hour Broadway show involves more energy than I think we can imagine--it's a different kind of energy, but based on what Broadway actors who've performed similar kinds of plays, it's very demanding). Bruce may be willing to charge a lot for tickets, but he has never given fans/the audience less than an outsized bang for their buck. I doubt he'd start to do so, but who knows? Anything is possible.

But he has written new music--remember the Glen Campbell-esque album that is in the can. So there is that. 

After seeing the show, I don't see him as a spent force. I look forward to reading your opinion once you've seen it. I think you'll love it.

But I could be wrong. Mortality is one reality no one can argue away, and while Bruce has great genes from his mom, he has his dad's genes, as well. 

Lastly, you don't have to account to anyone for how you choose to spend your money. If Bruce tours again, you can change your mind and no one has the right to judge you for going--or not going. People like to judge everyone else's choices. It's your life and you can do what you want. :)

Wishing you joy in your travels.

7 hours ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Wishing you the best of luck in getting tickets. There seem to be at least two Facebook groups that pool together to help Bruce fans get tickets. PM me if you need the info. 

I was unable to go to the summer leg of the River tour due to health problems. I have regrets, but mostly gratitude for what Bruce has given me. I definitely can't complain about what I didn't get when Bruce has given me so much.

Clearly, you feel the same. 

3 hours ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Phil Collins - he has said he got bored being retired.  But a limited voice and walking stick - oh dear (no doubt it will happen to me, but not in front of thousands of paying customers). 

I choose to see Bruce before this happens if it does, coz I wouldn't want to withstand it. 

One weird thing I forgot to mention in my write-up. I've noticed how much older Bruce looks in recent pix and when he first appeared onstage, I could really see it. He's been Dorian Gray for a while, but even with that, I remember a friend visiting me about twelve years ago and when we watched a (then-current) Bruce video, she complained that he looked old. Not sexy anymore.

I thought he looked great, but he certainly didn't look like '78 Bruce.

By that point, I really had stopped expecting him to look young. I expected middle age. Middle aged sexy, but middle-aged nonetheless. 

Now he is definitely looking elderly.

As the show progressed, I saw Bruce look different in the different lighting. Sometimes old, sometimes not so old. And I swear there was one pose, holding his guitar, in a certain light, where he looked like BITUSA Bruce. 

Kay and Turqued, I will be interested in reading your impressions about that once you've seen the show.

12 minutes ago, Skin2Skin said:

One weird thing I forgot to mention in my write-up. I've noticed how much older Bruce looks in recent pix and when he first appeared onstage, I could really see it. He's been Dorian Gray for a while, but even with that, I remember a friend visiting me about twelve years ago and when we watched a (then-current) Bruce video, she complained that he looked old. Not sexy anymore.

I thought he looked great, but he certainly didn't look like '78 Bruce.

By that point, I really had stopped expecting him to look young. I expected middle age. Middle aged sexy, but middle-aged nonetheless. 

Now he is definitely looking elderly.

I don't know why it makes me uncomfortable reading how old Bruce looks coz people get old and look old, it's just the way it goes.  At any rate, I've noticed too for a while now that he's really starting to look his age, sad to see the elderly part though. 

• Like 1

Skin2Skin, thank you for the Facebook offer. I'm sorry, but I can't take you up on it since I'm one of the stubborn few who doesn't do Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram etc etc.  It's allegedly lack of friends, but I am fearful of the long term damage that cell/smartphones in particular is causing to young brains (echoing the views of many former Silicon Valley whizz kids like Tristan Harris and Justin Rosenstein and Facebook founder Roger McNamee).  I still text, email and actually am not averse to speaking on phones sometimes (weird!).

Late evening yesterday I read/skimmed loads of posts after you ventured on Captain Chaos' thread.  Maybe the twain canl never meet - for and against the Broadway shows and their high ticket cost/cultural implications.  Maybe it's generational - you're around my age I presume unless you got liking Bruce when you were three or so!  CC is maybe mid 40s?  You're safer to post on your own thread or those of other Broadway goers.  The elitists' threads (joking)

I still may go (affordable flights are available), but I'm still having to negotiate with my other half whom I only saw briefly last night - she worked till late and then was on an early.  She at present doesn't want to leave our daughter (17) for five days - I say yes, let's.  Spoken to daughter.  I do want to go if only because it could be the end of him touring.  And I might be the active party and elect not to go to future big shows (Ann Jones got there first and Turkued).  Plus, I was intrigued by the very different and complimentary review by Hilton Als (30/10/17) in the New Yorker.  He's gay and black and that prejudiced his views against Bruce for many years.  It's worth reading if you haven't.  If he has converted to theatre Boss, why am I dithering?

I intend not to post again until early evening in England or later.  Talking of addictive Facebook etc, I spent loads and loads of time yesterday reading and posting on the Lake.  Got to get off and make some money and other stuff!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ignore much of above post!  I've become about the last person to read about the extension to June!  Damn, I won't be able to get off the Lake now for ...

• Like 1

Last post (I'm determined) for hours.  My cunning plan is just maybe still to travel in January and try since I'm not registered.  Everyone else will be focused on February/June - or Broadway equivalent in London ...  Cold, horrible January - who'll want to go the Big Apple then?  All the conjecture about Bruce, as we knew him, coming to an end stands.

• Like 1