HelloNewman

Gigs 2018

Tonight I went and saw John Paul Young singing the Harry Vanda & George Young songbook.

For most of you this will mean nothing, but for a very few of you it will mean quite a lot.

It was very enjoyable. Mrs G even knew all but 2 songs.

• Like 1

March15th /Michael McDonald/ Hammersmith Apollo London

April 1st/Toto/RAH London

April 25th/Joe Satriani,John Petrucci & Uli John Roth/Hammersmith Apollo London

June 19th/Pearl Jam/02 North Greenwich London.

Oct 19th America / London Palladium   

Nov 7th/Children In Need Rocks, Rod Stewart,George Ezra etc/Wembley Arena

Proclaimers gig at the Liverpool Empire on Sunday was fantastic.

Only complaint was they only played for an hour and a half and didn't play the mesmerising Streets of Edinburgh.

Abdullah Ibrahim last night at Warwick. Not even half full - what is wrong with people!

2 sets of continuous playing, dipping in and out of melodies and riffs from his back catalogue. Spell-binding flow of music. Finished with 2 encores, 2nd of which was a remarkable, spontaneous solo accapella that must have had everyone with dust in their eye. Very emotional moment; reflecting on it after it felt like a goodbye.....

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 3:43 PM, HelloNewman said:

I have seen America 3 times. Twice in Manchester and then I got lucky when a family holiday to Florida coincided with a show they were doing there in 2016. 

Never anything earth shattering and the voices are certainly a million miles off previous but when the songs are that good, I can certainly put up with it. I would no doubt be there like a shot if they 'hit the north' again.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, riverdude2 said:

Had a feeling you'd grab America tix D. I saw them in 2007 in Glasgow, great show, sadly London seems to be only UK date.

London Palladium 19/10/2018

They played 90 minutes but all good stuff from beginning to end.

They told a story of how they were signed to WEA at their English office just round the corner from the London Palladium at the time. The guy who signed them was in the audience, they played an acoustic song for him and he gave them a contract straight away, seems they grew up on a RAF base over here.

Bet you can't guess what song they are singing here.

IMG_4227.thumb.JPG.45749b560685083575a1cc7d48229271.JPG

• Like 4

I've seen tonight in Oxford the Tom Robinson Band play a great gig, performing the Power in the Darkness album and a few other favourites.  Tom (and what a lovely chap he is) and the band were in splendid form, and how enjoyable it was to hear him explain and refresh these great songs. 

UPDATE

Brian Fallon - Bristol 25/2/18

Jake Bugg - Exeter 12/3/18

Paul Young - Exeter 28/3/18 (postponed from 1st Feb)

Plan B - Bristol 2/5/18

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Cardiff 6/5/18

Bat Out Of Hell (musical) - London 26/5/18

Rolling Stones - Cardiff 15/6/18

Ed Sheeran - Cardiff 22/6/18

The Killers - Swansea 23/6/18

Elvis Costello - Plymouth 28/6/18 - POSTPONED

Paul Simon - AMSTERDAM 8/7/18

Steve Earle - Bristol 18/7/18

Gaslight Anthem - London 21/7/18

Roseanne Cash - Bristol 26/7/18 (date from memory)

John Moreland - Bristol 5/8/18

Hayseed Dixie - Exeter 20/8/18

Martyn Joseph - London 5/9/18

Joan Armatrading - Exeter 17/9/18 postponed to 22/10/18

U2 - London 24/10/18

The Proclaimers - 25/10/18

Father John Misty - Bath 30/10/18

Rick Astley - Plymouth 1/11/18

The Wandering Hearts - Exeter 24/11/18

Mumford & Sons - Cardiff 28/11/18

Show of Hands - Exmouth 8/12/18

War Of The Worlds (musical) - Cardiff 9/12/18

Madness - Plymouth 10/12/18

Bossman

* So far, Rolling Stones was hands down the most exciting show, followed by Paul Simon who was terrific to see indoors. All 4 July gigs and John Moreland in early August were great shows too. On the whole, the gigs improved, after a fairly mediocre first few. U2 were really good with amazing sound quality in an arena.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bossman66 said:

UPDATE

Brian Fallon - Bristol 25/2/18

Jake Bugg - Exeter 12/3/18

Paul Young - Exeter 28/3/18 (postponed from 1st Feb)

Plan B - Bristol 2/5/18

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Cardiff 6/5/18

Bat Out Of Hell (musical) - London 26/5/18

Rolling Stones - Cardiff 15/6/18

Ed Sheeran - Cardiff 22/6/18

The Killers - Swansea 23/6/18

Elvis Costello - Plymouth 28/6/18 - POSTPONED

Paul Simon - AMSTERDAM 8/7/18

Steve Earle - Bristol 18/7/18

Gaslight Anthem - London 21/7/18

Roseanne Cash - Bristol 26/7/18 (date from memory)

John Moreland - Bristol 5/8/18

Hayseed Dixie - Exeter 20/8/18

Martyn Joseph - London 5/9/18

Joan Armatrading - Exeter 17/9/18 postponed to 22/10/18

U2 - London 24/10/18

The Proclaimers - 25/10/18

Father John Misty - Bath 30/10/18

Rick Astley - Plymouth 1/11/18

Hothouse Flowers - Exeter 19/11/18

The Wandering Hearts - Exeter 24/11/18

Mumford & Sons - Cardiff 28/11/18

Show of Hands - Exmouth 8/12/18

War Of The Worlds (musical) - Cardiff 9/12/18

Madness - Plymouth 10/12/18

Bossman

* So far, Rolling Stones was hands down the most exciting show, followed by Paul Simon who was terrific to see indoors. All 4 July gigs and John Moreland in early August were great shows too. On the whole, the gigs improved, after a fairly mediocre first few. U2 were really good with amazing sound quality in an arena.

Roddy Frame solo gig at The Stables, MK on Sunday evening.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Still amazes me how a guy so precociously gifted musically and lyrically didn't go on from Aztec Camera to establish himself in the front rank. Sent me to Discogs to fill a couple of solo career gaps - how the heck did I miss Surf!

• Like 1

Saw The Struts on Sunday night in Sacramento.  Sold out club, fantastic evening!  Loved the show, the musicianship, the crowd interaction, the entertainment...  And as a nod to Greasy Lake, they did a long, great rendition of Dancing in the Dark!

As an aside, the opening band also was pretty good.  I hadn't heard of them before--a band called Thunderpussy.  Four ladies who can flat-out play rock and roll.  Check 'em out...

1 hour ago, Pastor Jeff said:

Saw The Struts on Sunday night in Sacramento.  Sold out club, fantastic evening!  Loved the show, the musicianship, the crowd interaction, the entertainment...  And as a nod to Greasy Lake, they did a long, great rendition of Dancing in the Dark!

As an aside, the opening band also was pretty good.  I hadn't heard of them before--a band called Thunderpussy.  Four ladies who can flat-out play rock and roll.  Check 'em out...

Isn't your Metallica event coming up soon also? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Isn't your Metallica event coming up soon also? 

In less than a month, baby!

That Struts show was pretty awesome, though...

Taking my son to see Travis Scott tomorrow night in Louisville.  You know, the one with Sheck Wes, Gunna and Trippie Redd on the opening bill?

Travis Scott, otherwise known as Mr. Kylie Jenner, is a rapper from Houston.  Apparently, it's one of the hottest shows supporting one of the hottest albums in the country.  It should be a learning experience for me.  Earmuffs! Earmuffs! Earmuffs!

OK this is 2019 and please don't laugh as this is another of my wife's deals, but I'm sure it will be great and I'll love it. 

3/9/19 - Garth Brooks @ The Dome 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, sonicramone said:

Taking my son to see Travis Scott tomorrow night in Louisville.  You know, the one with Sheck Wes, Gunna and Trippie Redd on the opening bill?

Travis Scott, otherwise known as Mr. Kylie Jenner, is a rapper from Houston.  Apparently, it's one of the hottest shows supporting one of the hottest albums in the country.  It should be a learning experience for me.  Earmuffs! Earmuffs! Earmuffs!

I'm not imagining a slew of rap fans on this board, but the show that I witnessed last night in Louisville was nothing less than spectacular.  Travis Scott was the headliner with the three rappers listed above as openers.  This experience is a lot different than any traditional show that any of us have witnessed.  First off, there's no band.  It's my biggest, and probably only, complaint.  I mean, seriously, how much talent does it take to jump around and sing karaoke style to 15,000 screaming fans?

But the show that Travis Scott decided to put on was not your run-of-the-mill rap concert.  Dubbed "Astroworld", the show runs off the theme of an old Houston amusement park from Scott's childhood.  So, with a stage on either end of the floor, the show incorporated a loop rollercoaster on one stage, and a massive projection screen on the other.  During various times of the very loud, very raucous show, there were many, many lasers, bright lights, explosions and other pyrotechnics, smoke cannons, multiple highly-visual projection screens, a twenty-foot tall, inflatable astronaut, and finally a roller coaster track that dropped from the rafters connecting the two stages.  Not only was it a night that overloaded the senses and could literally send the strongest of us into epileptic fits, the music and rapping itself set the place on fire.  I've not seen so many people jumping up and down in cadence as I saw last night.

Even if you're not a fan of Travis Scott or rap in general,  you had to be amazed by the energy created during that show.  Even people in the cheap seats (like me) were surrounded by people completely letting loose to the music.   My kids, 15 and 16, left the venue almost stunned at what they witnessed.

I travelled 90 minutes to the show, on a work/school night, with two of my kids and three of their friends.  I paid $20 + fees for my ticket and got every penny's worth of fun out of the experience.   If you are ever interested in seeing what the kids are into these days, and want to see an absolute, top-notch production, give this one a try.  It is worth it.

• Like 1

We went to see the Aurea String Quartet last night. One of the pieces was Fratres by Arvo  Part, a fave of mine ( Speigel am Speigel by Part is my all time fave classical piece )

Off to see Hinds tomorrow.

Two concerts in three days....but our first since Lindi Ortega back in the summer.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, Walker in the sun said:

Courtney Marie Andrews late autumn. Worth checking out if Americana is your bag.

Were / are you going to the rearranged Oxford gig? Saw her tonight in Pocklington and really enjoyed the show. Her voice was great, hard to believe she had to rearranged shows the last two nights because she'd lost it.

DSCN5957.JPG

Three recent gigs:

Dessa - Glasgow

Holy Moly and the Crackers - Glasgow

Lucero - Glasgow

On 7 December 2018 at 10:58 PM, Born To Walk said:

Were / are you going to the rearranged Oxford gig? Saw her tonight in Pocklington and really enjoyed the show. Her voice was great, hard to believe she had to rearranged shows the last two nights because she'd lost it.

DSCN5957.JPG

Sorry, missed this. Yes, Mrs D & I will be there this coming weekend. Looking forward to it. 

Saw Seger on his farewell tour last Saturday Night in Louisville with Grand Funk as the warm up band.  Excellent show, Seger sounded great and looked like he was having fun Alto Reed is still an incredible Sax player and did a beautiful job on Turn the Page.  Sad to see such a great performer and legend retire, I have seen him many times from Against the Wind to this tour, always great.