HelloNewman

Gigs 2018

Santana is coming back to SA next year, announced today. He was here in 2014 a month after Bruce so I didn't have the money to see him then.

I'd like to say I've seen him live at least once... Any thoughts?

23 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Santana is coming back to SA next year, announced today. He was here in 2014 a month after Bruce so I didn't have the money to see him then.

I saw him around the time he had that big hit with Rob Thomas. Like you, mainly to see him once.

Very impressive playing but I soon get bored with big guitar solos, bongo solos and latin beats, so I found myself looking at my watch a few times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HelloNewman said:

I saw him around the time he had that big hit with Rob Thomas. Like you, mainly to see him once.

Very impressive playing but I soon get bored with big guitar solos, bongo solos and latin beats, so I found myself looking at my watch a few times.

I must admit I would have been really excited to see the briefly reunited original line up with Greg Rollie and Michal Shrieve (the infamous Woodstock line up basically) but apart from that... Not sure, especially if the tickets are expensive.

On 06/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, SteveJhb said:

Seen them twice 2010 and 2016.

Both had very much the same content.

Both times brilliant guitar work, but very different shows.

Second time Carlos had to sit at  the edge of stage the bulk of the gig and one tune just the band played whilst Carlos was off stage.Age has caught up with him.

If you haven't seen him before i think you'll enjoy the show, but i could have passed on the second gig.

• Like 1

Some additions to the usual collection of up and coming new acts:

Jan 25 - The Searchers

Feb 3 - Joe Brown

Feb 16 - Paul Carrack

Feb 23 - Smokie

Mar 28 - Chris Difford & Boo Hewerdine

May 2 - Manic Street Preachers

May 9 - Christy Moore

May 30 - Beautiful: the Carole King Story

Jun 9 - Bat Out Of Hell: Musical

Jun 16 - Billy Joel

Jul 4 - The Simon & Garfunkel Story

Oct 15 - Jeff Lynne's ELO

Dec 9 - Deacon Blue

Dec 12 - Katie Melua

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HelloNewman said:

Bloody hell!! 

I thought you may like that. My daughter will be going.

Oh dear, we went to see something called ‘The Bib Dylan Story’ yesterday evening. It was the first night of a tour, but, if it is coming to a town near you, I wouldn’t bother.

I am not sure what I was expecting, but as it was called a story, I was expecting some sort of narrative arc, telling the story of Dylan’s life, accompanied by some songs. However, it turned out to be a not very good tribute act. The bloke had on a curly wig and shades, winklepicker shoes, polka dot shirt, etc. He was trying hard to sound like Dylan, exaggerating his mannerisms and diction. To top it all, part way through Just Like a Woman the sound went, it was quite amusing at first as everyone sang along, but instead of ending that number and waiting for the problem to be fixed, he carried to into a Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat, which nobody could hear! Oh, and he murdered Forever Young, possibly my favourite Dylan song!

Backing band were good though.

Paul Young - Exeter 1/2/18

Brian Fallon - Bristol 25/2/18

Jake Bugg - Exeter 12/3/18

Plan B - Bristol 2/5/18

Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Cardiff 6/5/18

Bat Out Of Hell (musical) - London 26/5/18

Ed Sheeran - Cardiff 22/6/18

The Killers - Swansea 23/6/18

War Of The Worlds (musical) - Cardiff 9/12/18

Bossman

• Like 1

Quiet January ... mad February!

1 Feb – Jimmy Webb - Roundhouse

4 Feb - Ezra Furman – Liverpool

6 Feb – Ezra Furman – King’s X

7 Feb – Ezra Fruman – King’s X 

9 Feb – John Cale - Barbican

10 Feb – John Cale – Barbican

16 Feb – She Street Band – Clapham

22 Feb – Indoor Pets – Borderline

28 Feb – Smith Street Band – Roundhouse

24 Mar – Eliza & The Bear – Islington

20 May – Lene Lovich – King’s X

11 Apr – Girli – Islington

23 May – Ezra Furman – Brixton

26 May – Lorde – Victoria Park

29 May – Joan Baez – RAH

On 1/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Bossman66 said:

War Of The Worlds (musical) - Cardiff 9/12/18

Bossman

I would LOVE to see Jeff Wayne's WOW show... I know that record like the back of my hand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I would LOVE to see Jeff Wayne's WOW show... I know that record like the back of my hand.

I know it, but not that well. Not sure they’ve announced the new cast yet, but the promo email made it sound like it was gonna be a major production, so looking forward to it.

https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/jeff-wayne-s-the-war-of-the-worlds-tickets 

Bossman

• Like 1

Tonight I saw The Mavericks in Belfast. They are in Manchester at the weekend but I chose to fly over here instead as the chance to see them in a small (approx 700 capacity), all standing rock club compared to the Apollo in Manchester was too strong to turn down. 

My effort and financial outlay were firmly rewarded. This will take some beating for my best gig of 2018. It really was spectacular. The band was so damn good and Raul Malo proved there are few, if any better live singers out there. Some really nice covers thrown in to compliment their great back catalogue. Springsteen (All that heaven will allow), Neil Young (Harvest Moon) and incredibly, Pink Floyd (Them and Us). 

• Like 1

Starting to add a few now, after a slow start:

20 Feb: Brian Fallon

9 May: Mary Gauthier

15 May: Nils Lofgren

16 May: Nils again

14 June: David Byrne

16 June: Elvis Costello/Waterboys/Nick Lowe

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 12:45 AM, HelloNewman said:

Tonight I saw The Mavericks in Belfast. They are in Manchester at the weekend but I chose to fly over here instead as the chance to see them in a small (approx 700 capacity), all standing rock club compared to the Apollo in Manchester was too strong to turn down. 

My effort and financial outlay were firmly rewarded. This will take some beating for my best gig of 2018. It really was spectacular. The band was so damn good and Raul Malo proved there are few, if any better live singers out there. Some really nice covers thrown in to compliment their great back catalogue. Springsteen (All that heaven will allow), Neil Young (Harvest Moon) and incredibly, Pink Floyd (Them and Us). 

The Mavericks are brilliant. Don't know if you've seen Raul solo but he's amazing too. I'm a band sort of guy but I can't say whether I'd rather see Raul solo or with the band.

Oh and if Early North Jersey sees this, I'm sure he'd add his views. He must have seen Raul/Mavericks more than anyone on here.

• Like 1

Last week : The Legendary Tigerman

Yesterday : double soul bill : The Excitements / Hannah Williams & the Affirmations

Next week : The Buttshakers

Later in the month : The BellRays

March : Calexico / Lee Ranaldo

40 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

The Mavericks are brilliant. Don't know if you've seen Raul solo but he's amazing too. I'm a band sort of guy but I can't say whether I'd rather see Raul solo or with the band.

Oh and if Early North Jersey sees this, I'm sure he'd add his views. He must have seen Raul/Mavericks more than anyone on here.

I have seen Raul solo once and loved that but this had way more of a guitar rock sound than even previous times I have seen the band. Eddie Perez was on fire and Raul's guitar was turned way up. Both really added to the experience, especially from front dead centre on the rail. 

On that last point, arriving at the venue 50 mins before doors to find no queue whatsoever was certainly a rare treat. 

• Like 1

Glen Hansard tomorrow night at the Royal Festival Hall... I have a spare. 

On 23/01/2018 at 5:35 PM, Bossman66 said:

I know it, but not that well. Not sure they’ve announced the new cast yet, but the promo email made it sound like it was gonna be a major production, so looking forward to it.

https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/jeff-wayne-s-the-war-of-the-worlds-tickets 

Bossman

New cast announced 2018 cast includes: Jason Donovan • Newton Faulkner • Adam Garcia • Nathan James • Anne-Marie Wayne • Carrie Hope Fletcher 
Also ft. Liam Neeson in 3D Holography • Conducted by Jeff Wayne

7 hours ago, Eden said:

New cast announced 2018 cast includes: Jason Donovan • Newton Faulkner • Adam Garcia • Nathan James • Anne-Marie Wayne • Carrie Hope Fletcher 
Also ft. Liam Neeson in 3D Holography • Conducted by Jeff Wayne

Bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Bossman