Sign in to follow this  
JustDan

Technical Help

Since the board has been brought back up last week, my pages are loading very slowly, or timing out completely. When I post on a thread and hit 'Enter' it takes almost a minute, sometimes longer for the post to register. Is this a cookies problem, a browser problem, a server problem?....Please help.

Thank you

No problems here. Things are as fast as ever for me, so I'm not sure what to advice. Sometimes pages get stuck while loading, but when I hit refresh they load immediately.

Actually, I just received an email about the network changes that took place this past weekend. Turns out I have to change some settings that may affect speed for certain browsers or browser configurations. I will make the change over the weekend, so hopefully things will improve by then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CosmicKid said:

Actually, I just received an email about the network changes that took place this past weekend. Turns out I have to change some settings that may affect speed for certain browsers or browser configurations. I will make the change over the weekend, so hopefully things will improve by then.

Thank you for your help Karsten.

I know the board has been experiencing problems lately, but it works fine for me from my work computer but as soon as I get home I can never load the page on my desktop for some reason when every other website I go to works fine.  Won't work on my cell either which is very strange.

Is there some sort of setting issue my dumb ass doesn't know about? 

18 hours ago, Kay said:

I know the board has been experiencing problems lately, but it works fine for me from my work computer but as soon as I get home I can never load the page on my desktop for some reason when every other website I go to works fine.  Won't work on my cell either which is very strange.

Is there some sort of setting issue my dumb ass doesn't know about? 

Exactly the problem I am experiencing - minus the cell phone which I don't have. WTF?

I thought my paranoia was in overdrive.  Wouldn't be hard but I'm almost glad someone else is having similar problems. 

I just posted a reply to berlintramp on another thread, but here's my first suggestion. On your computer try to switch to Google's public DNS. You can find a manual on how to do that here: https://goo.gl/DJPB9F. Let me know if that makes any difference.

I haven't managed to change the DNS because I haven't had time. Being as computer-illiterate as I am, I know I will tie myself in knots when I try, so I need some uninterrupted hours.

What I can't understand is that the Lake is down for me for most of the day, but come evening, there is no problem. How weird is that?

16 hours ago, berlintramp said:

I haven't managed to change the DNS because I haven't had time. Being as computer-illiterate as I am, I know I will tie myself in knots when I try, so I need some uninterrupted hours.

What I can't understand is that the Lake is down for me for most of the day, but come evening, there is no problem. How weird is that?

That's extremely weird. I can't think of a logical explanation, but it would still be great if you managed to attempt the DNS solution. I hope it won't actually take you hours to do it.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, CosmicKid said:

I just posted a reply to berlintramp on another thread, but here's my first suggestion. On your computer try to switch to Google's public DNS. You can find a manual on how to do that here: https://goo.gl/DJPB9F. Let me know if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your suggestion, tried this on the weekend and couldn't do it, wouldn't let me enter the new address or alternate address so I called my provider and they say said they couldn't do it either, would screw up every other site that I've had no problem loading.  So weird.  They said it had to be something on your end.  But I was able to get on after that anyway. 

Just now, Kay said:

Thanks for your suggestion, tried this on the weekend and couldn't do it, wouldn't let me enter the new address or alternate address so I called my provider and they say said they couldn't do it either, would screw up every other site that I've had no problem loading.  So weird.  They said it had to be something on your end.  But I was able to get on after that anyway. 

They are bullshitting you. It would not screw up anything. It's true that they can't change the settings for you, but telling you that changing the settings would affect other sites is just plain wrong.

Anyway, here's another suggestion:

For Windows 10 and 8

1. Press the Windows key.
  2. Type Notepad in the search field.
  3. In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
  4. From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
  5. Make the necessary changes to the file (see screenshot below, simply add the highlighted line, leave everything else untouched)
  6. Click File > Save to save your changes.

host.PNG

This solution wouldn't affect anything other than your access to Greasy Lake, but that might be a big problem if Greasy Lake changes its IP again somewhere down the line, so I would only recommend it as a last resort.

Besides, I'm not 100% it would solve your problem. I'm still trying to determine what the problem is exactly. This is a way to either solve the problem or rule out my current theory.

Before changing anything, maybe someone who is having the problem could do the following test when you can't access the site:

1. Press the Windows Key (or the magnifying glass next to the Windows key
  2. Type in "cmd" without the apostrophes
  3. Type "ping greasylake.org" again without the apostrophes
  4. It now returns an IP address. Please let me know what it say :-)