Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

Nashville gets a Footie Team

I think the Fairgrounds are still on the table. 

“With a GM in place and ready to handle recruiting players, Ayre said he'll turn his attention to developing and fine-tuning the team's business plan, while also moving forward on "various infrastructure projects." Nashville's future MLS team is slated to play in a new stadium at The Fairgrounds Nashville, although additional legislative approvals will need to take place before construction begins.”

8 minutes ago, AMIW said:

the gift that keeps on giving - GoldenBalls and his cronies have been trying to find a stadium in Miami for 5 years and no one wants them - now he wants to destroy a golf course

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/07/04/beckhams-latest-miami-stadium-plan-targets-golf-course/

Good, golf should be discouraged.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:55 PM, WhereLoveRuled said:

Good, golf should be discouraged.

OK, I'll bite, why should golf be discouraged? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, I'll bite, why should golf be discouraged? 

Because it's boring and the courses are wastes of space.

Looks like it's self-destructing on its own, though, no doubt due to the expense and the disappearing middle class. Oh, and those pesky "millennials" with their strange ways.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/blog/2018/sneakernomics-the-golf-business-remains-challenged/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/death-watch-how-much-longer-can-golf-survive-2017-04-18

Of course, it would help if anybody actually wanted to play the game. The NGF says the number of U.S. players dropped from an all-time high of 30 million in 2005 to 24.1 million in 2015. That’s below even the pre-Tiger Woods high of 24.7 in 1995. Though optimists note that the average number of rounds being played per player hasn’t dropped, the U.S. golf industry has been largely unable to woo beginners into playing more than a few rounds before dropping the sport entirely.

Nike NKE, +1.05% has stopped producing golf equipment, Dick’s Sporting GoodsDKS, +1.06% is cutting sales-floor space dedicated to the sport and business is moving off the golf course. Even worse, the number of people ages 18 to 30 playing the sport is down 35% in the past decade. It’s an expensive sport that takes more than three hours to play, and instead of making it more attractive to newcomers, designers have been hell-bent on making courses as difficult as possible.

I've mentioned viewer demographics before, but....

In the United States, golf doesn’t have the luxury of time. In 2014, Nielsen noted that 63% of the PGA’s television audience was over the age of 55. Some 87% of that audience was white, while only 12% was younger than 35. By comparison, only 25% of the National Basketball Association’s audience is 55 or older, 47% is younger than 35, and 57% is nonwhite.

Your first statement, should have been all you needed to say. 

I love golf, walk 18 holes on a muny course near us on every Sunday morning. And once a month 18 holes riding with my buddy's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Your first statement, should have been all you needed to say. 

I love golf, walk 18 holes on a muny course near us on every Sunday morning. And once a month 18 holes riding with my buddy's. 

It can be enjoyable to play. What's your handicap?

Unfortunately, it's prohibitively expensive for the younger crowd who don't have the same economic opportunities other generations did. Which is why as Boomers start to age out, they aren't being replaced by new golfers, as the MarketWatch link said.

I crap on it, but I actually was a pretty decent golfer in high school. And my family golfed, notably my great-granddad who caddied at Aronimink Golf Club in the late '20s for the best players of the day. But after school it just became too expensive to play - I feel there's probably a lot of people in similar boats. How is the PGA going to find the most talented golfers when most people can't afford it? The current PGA are a bunch of southern frat bros - you can't tell me if the playing field was equal, that it would look like that. Incidentally, American soccer is having similar issues - costs to train players are artificially high due to the travel team system, so talent is being priced out and development is suffering.

Just another casualty of modern times.

34 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

It can be enjoyable to play. What's your handicap?

Unfortunately, it's prohibitively expensive for the younger crowd who don't have the same economic opportunities other generations did. Which is why as Boomers start to age out, they aren't being replaced by new golfers, as the MarketWatch link said.

I crap on it, but I actually was a pretty decent golfer in high school. And my family golfed, notably my great-granddad who caddied at Aronimink Golf Club in the late '20s for the best players of the day. But after school it just became too expensive to play - I feel there's probably a lot of people in similar boats. How is the PGA going to find the most talented golfers when most people can't afford it? The current PGA are a bunch of southern frat bros - you can't tell me if the playing field was equal, that it would look like that. Incidentally, American soccer is having similar issues - costs to train players are artificially high due to the travel team system, so talent is being priced out and development is suffering.

Just another casualty of modern times.

Oh, I'm not very good either. I'm a 22. 

But why all the doom and gloom? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh, I'm not very good either. I'm a 22. 

But why all the doom and gloom? 

Was a 8 or 9 in high school I think.

And I mean I'm certainly not feeling gloomy about it :D , but the link said it pretty plainly: the amount of golfers annually is at a 23-year low. That's pretty grim for the future of the sport, and I would certainly say economics (in addition to shifting cultural interests and trends) has a significant part in that.

Golf won't die, maybe less and less golfers and courses, yes. And what comes with that higher prices. But the lovers of the game will continue to play. This is just a market correction.

20 hours ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

Not a good stretch for MLS.

Well there was this.  I believe that Atlanta now holds the top 4 spots all-time attendance for MLS.  Over 72K yesterday setting a new record.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/further-review/atlanta-soccer-city/tmzu29DZ0l8HsaB93CluPP/

2 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Well there was this.  I believe that Atlanta now holds the top 4 spots all-time attendance for MLS.  Over 72K yesterday setting a new record.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/further-review/atlanta-soccer-city/tmzu29DZ0l8HsaB93CluPP/

Not to pee on this parade but are these seats that they are filling, what are the cost of these seats? And how many are getting in on some kind of promotion? 

Wasted, AMIW, MMinAZ and other American's can you guys really watch the MSL. I just can't, and am wondering if I'm missing something? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Not to pee on this parade but are these seats that they are filling, what are the cost of these seats? And how many are getting in on some kind of promotion? 

Wasted, AMIW, MMinAZ and other American's can you guys really watch the MSL. I just can't, and am wondering if I'm missing something? 

Not raining on any parade, but its legit.  I will tell you this, I was trying to get tickets for the game.  As of Saturday night standing room only tickets that normally sell for $28 were going for around $70 on the ticketmaster ticket exchange.  Here's a photo, looks pretty full to me.

USATSI_10955237.jpg?Ld_PfKXtzgvJz3PAWosN

They only open the upper deck of the stadium around 4 times a year.  Normal game capacity is around 40K, but they sell out every game.  I've honestly never seen anything like it.  Certainly not in Atlanta.  I think its the only sport where Atlanta transplants don't root for their "home" team.  This IS their home team.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still haven't been to Leaky Roof Stadium - my first trip there will be for the All-Star Game against Juventus

As for watching MLS.  I can definitely watch it.  I can understand that the level of play in the MLS is below the best leagues, but at the end of the day WTF do I care if Man City wins the cup or whatever?  I can watch the PL and appreciate it on an intellectual level (as I did the WC), but I feel almost no emotional connection to it.  I'd much prefer to watch my home team play with a bunch of crazies in the stands for the sense of community that it embodies.  To me that is what all sports - not just football -  are really about.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AMIW said:

meanwhile at DC Uniteds new stadium parts of the stadium fell on opening day - one hit a reporter in her head!!!!!!!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mls/dc-united-reporter-lindsay-simpson-hit-in-head-by-falling-metal-railing-at-brand-new-audi-field/ar-AAA5bdf?ocid=ientp

Yes but Jose Andres is part of the concession picture so right there you are half way to a great stadium experiance. 

had to google him as the reference went way over my head....

2 minutes ago, AMIW said:

had to google him as the reference went way over my head....

Just an extraordinarily talented chef and all around great human being. I wasn't joking about his participation and he has the ability to deliver great food, in a variety of settings up and down the price point ladder. 

There is also a strong local presence in the beers on offer at the stadium (which includes a beer garden) with three local breweries offering up selections. 

So with food and drink taken care of... I haven't been yet but I'm told the seats arent bad, sight lines are good and moving around the stadium is pretty easy. 

The only fly in the ointment is the presence of Rooney who will presumably doggedly continue his career of being just good enough to get you beat.

Which isn't all together a bad thing as it will give DC United fans a reason to drink (presumably heavily) with Everton and MU supporters.