Wasted in the heat

OFFICIAL MLB 2018 Thread

A few more signings and somewhat interesting the way some of this is shaking out.

Reports are that Hosmer is getting $144m for 8 years.  This includes a $5m signing bonus and an opt out clause after 5 years.  So the yearly salary isn't huge (in baseball terms) and should Hosmer still be at the top of his game in 5 years, he has an opportunity to opt out an get more free agent money.  Personally, I don't see him ever opting out and the Padres paying him for less than great numbers over the last couple years of the deal.  He won't be that old, but I jut don't see him as maintaining productivity.  Just a gut feeling....plus I'm pissed that he signed with a NL team...I lost him on on AL only fantasy team....the bastid....lol.

Also JD Martinez finally signed with the Red Sox.  If reports are correct, he's getting $100m for five years. Compared to some other deals for guys with similar numbers, this is being talked about as an 'steal' for the Red Sox.  But I also read that the contract is heavily front-loaded and he also has an opt-out clause.  So, like Hosmer if he continues to hit like he can, he can opt-out and get more dollars.  His opt-out has been reported to be after 3 years, so I'm thinking it's more likely he could execute that clause. 

Anyway - the AL East just got even more interesting. 

Oh...and the Mets signed another 30+ year old free agent in Jason Vargas.  I actually like the signing...they needed someone like him to cover for the inevitable slew of injuries to their pitching staff.  

20 hours ago, BillyB said:

A few more signings and somewhat interesting the way some of this is shaking out.

Reports are that Hosmer is getting $144m for 8 years.  This includes a $5m signing bonus and an opt out clause after 5 years.  So the yearly salary isn't huge (in baseball terms) and should Hosmer still be at the top of his game in 5 years, he has an opportunity to opt out an get more free agent money.  Personally, I don't see him ever opting out and the Padres paying him for less than great numbers over the last couple years of the deal.  He won't be that old, but I jut don't see him as maintaining productivity.  Just a gut feeling....plus I'm pissed that he signed with a NL team...I lost him on on AL only fantasy team....the bastid....lol.

Also JD Martinez finally signed with the Red Sox.  If reports are correct, he's getting $100m for five years. Compared to some other deals for guys with similar numbers, this is being talked about as an 'steal' for the Red Sox.  But I also read that the contract is heavily front-loaded and he also has an opt-out clause.  So, like Hosmer if he continues to hit like he can, he can opt-out and get more dollars.  His opt-out has been reported to be after 3 years, so I'm thinking it's more likely he could execute that clause. 

Anyway - the AL East just got even more interesting. 

Oh...and the Mets signed another 30+ year old free agent in Jason Vargas.  I actually like the signing...they needed someone like him to cover for the inevitable slew of injuries to their pitching staff.  

Since I despise Scott Boras with the proverbial white-hot heat of 10,000 suns, and view him as a scourge on the game of baseball, I went back to look at some of the past writings about JDM. 

Here's Boras back in November, setting 7 yrs/$210mm as the price you pay - $30mm/yr.   http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mlb/news/top-mlb-free-agents-2018-jd-martinez-wants-massive-deal/1fnfusppl45u21dbiu388v4n3i

Meanwhile, the Arizona folks seemed to have a more accurate sense of proper value - $22.7mm to $27mm/yr, depending on length (lower per year based on more years guaranteed), and a 5 or maybe 6 year deal. Oh, and maybe even add an opt-out ;) But even at that accurate assessment, he seemed more than their budget would accept. Why? Because of the big $$$ owed to Greinke ($31-32mm/yr for the next 4 years) and also the $42.5mm owed to Yasmany Torres over the next 3 years. http://insidethezona.com/2017/09/j-d-martinez-diamondbacks-resign-contract-2017-free-agent/

So Boston signed him for $110mm/5 years - BUT, he can opt out after only 2 years/$50mm, or 3 years and $72mm earned. What's really surprising is that only 2 weeks ago the offer was reported to be 5 years/$125mm, and JDM was "fed up" with such a paltry offer. ;)   http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758184-red-sox-rumors-jd-martinez-fed-up-with-boston-could-sign-with-another-team

Did I mention that I despise Scott Boras?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JimCT said:

Since I despise Scott Boras with the proverbial white-hot heat of 10,000 suns, and view him as a scourge on the game of baseball, I went back to look at some of the past writings about JDM. 

Here's Boras back in November, setting 7 yrs/$210mm as the price you pay - $30mm/yr.   http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mlb/news/top-mlb-free-agents-2018-jd-martinez-wants-massive-deal/1fnfusppl45u21dbiu388v4n3i

Meanwhile, the Arizona folks seemed to have a more accurate sense of proper value - $22.7mm to $27mm/yr, depending on length (lower per year based on more years guaranteed), and a 5 or maybe 6 year deal. Oh, and maybe even add an opt-out ;) But even at that accurate assessment, he seemed more than their budget would accept. Why? Because of the big $$$ owed to Greinke ($31-32mm/yr for the next 4 years) and also the $42.5mm owed to Yasmany Torres over the next 3 years. http://insidethezona.com/2017/09/j-d-martinez-diamondbacks-resign-contract-2017-free-agent/

So Boston signed him for $110mm/5 years - BUT, he can opt out after only 2 years/$50mm, or 3 years and $72mm earned. What's really surprising is that only 2 weeks ago the offer was reported to be 5 years/$125mm, and JDM was "fed up" with such a paltry offer. ;)   http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758184-red-sox-rumors-jd-martinez-fed-up-with-boston-could-sign-with-another-team

Did I mention that I despise Scott Boras?

I agree about Scott Boras....but I tell ya,  if I had ever learned to throw or hit a curveball....he'd would have been my first call....B)

Regarding these latest contracts.   Front loaded deals with opt-outs don't sound too bad to me, at least at first glance.  I'm not sure how common they are overall, but at least this way the players are getting paid some big early bucks, will have financial incentives in place to do well to get another big deal and teams avoid getting buried by huge dollars being paid at tail end of long term deals to guys whose best days are way behind them.  

Cubs play their first game in less than 24 hours!!!

And Schwarber is freakin' FIT this year....lost a bunch of weight (30+ lbs, I think) and worked on a strength regimen.  Looking good....

16 hours ago, bbb said:

How does that ahole Boras always get what he wants (or at least up until now)?

See Trump, Donald J. - similar hucksters, one in baseball the other in real estate and then politics. ;) 

• Like 1

Pssssst......there will baseball games today!!!

Major announcement - I AM WATCHING CUBS BASEBALL AGAIN!!!

(OK, a better description might be "Cubs*" baseball since there are only 3 regulars playing today.....but it is still baseball!!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Power13 said:

Major announcement - I AM WATCHING CUBS BASEBALL AGAIN!!!

(OK, a better description might be "Cubs*" baseball since there are only 3 regulars playing today.....but it is still baseball!!)

Only 107 years to go.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Only 107 years to go.

I'm OK with that....

Just got some quick clips from my neighbor in AZ....just some casual games of catch with Addison Russel and Kyle Hendricks.  

I hate him.

• Haha 1

Either this is something to get really excited over...or his arm is gonna fall of before the season even starts...

Mets righthander Noah Syndergaard hits 100 mph or more in half his spring debut pitches...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-syndergaard-hits-100-mph-spring-debut-pitches-article-1.3842884

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Did Martinez even pass his physical yet?

He officially signed his 5 year deal today...so I guess he's good to go.

• Like 1

Javy gonna Javy...

• Like 1

I just want to say getting preseason game update push messages has made it a whole lot easier to get through the last blasts of winter.

Just knowing its happening warms my bones.

Video footage form the Deadball era....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

My friend's father wanted to be a bullpen car driver as his retirement job.  Then, they got rid of them!..............He's still alive so this could be his 2nd chance! 

• Haha 4