Walter Kerr Theatre
New York, NY
January 9, 2018

Bruce Springsteen - vocals, guitar, piano
Patti Scialfa - vocals, guitar

Source: master audience recording
Taper: larryrulz
Mastered by: mjk5510 
Lineage: CA-14 (cardioid) > Sony M10 (24/44) > WAV > iZotope RX (level balancing) > Audacity (amplify, tracking) > TLH > FLAC 6 > foobar2000 (FLAC tags)
Sound: mp3 samples in Comments section below

Length: 2:13:31

Notes: An incredible and unique experience and a must see for all fans of Bruce. This is an excellent recording which was made even better by mjk5510 who was able to balance the levels between the very quiet moments, of which there are many, and the loud audience reactions that follow. Enjoy Bruuuuuuce!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

This is amazing quality, no idea how they got away with it.

Anyone else feeling slightly guilty listening??

I did with the very first bootleg I listened to, the 5th October show. I posted on the "Is anyone else surprised there hasn't been 1 tape yet?" thread:

"The first thing you hear is, "recording is prohibited", which made me feel that the fact this recording exists, and that in listening to it myself, were really shitty.

But I listened up to the end of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out because I apparently don't have morals."

I ended up really annoying the OP of the thread with that post, and he hasn't been back since. In hindsight I realise my wording was poor, I didn't want to offend anyone at all, but I can understand now why some people would have taken offence.  

What I should have said, and what was my actual thought process, was; this is Bruce's passion project, he's specifically asked for people not to record these shows, and in people doing that, it's disobeying him, it wouldn't 'please' him. And in listening to it, I wasn't really showing concern as to what was right or wrong. I felt like I should've avoided because, "that's what Bruce would want" or some crap like that, but listened because in reality I was really excited to hear the show and couldn't care less.

(Sorry this is really long)

Having now listened to the show multiple times, I feel no guilt. Until a professional recording/DVD is released, I'd have no way of listening to this show and changing my initial negative perceptions of it. In the 3 months that have passed since I've grown to have no problems with Bruce doing this run. Yes, there are still some done-to-death aspects I don't like, but the show itself is phenomenal, and I'm glad I've had the chance to hear some great versions of songs, some beautifully eloquent monologues that reminded me why I love Bruce Springsteen, and I can't wait to buy any officially released audio/video material when they come. 

Woooah!!!!! Holy shit, someone recorded the show @Kay and I atttemded? 

My god, I am shaking. I thought that was purely 2 hours of memory I needed to store safely. 

Gonna see if my Jungleland password is findable. 

24 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

HOLY SHIT - GREAT VIDEO FROM THE 11TH!

What I wrote about Patti's phrasing and note choice etc is confirmed here I reckon. 

She is far better served on a stage like this. Her voice is enormous. Notice how far she is from the mic. The way the sound is set up, with minimal reverb etc, allowed her voice the breadth that it has. E Street set ups no longer giver her this. In the 80s they did. 

I would suggest that anyone who is going to see the show to avoid the Boots till after their show. A big part of the magic was the "wow" of the way the songs and stories played out. 

Other than that. No guilt! 

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

This is amazing quality, no idea how they got away with it.

Anyone else feeling slightly guilty listening??

Wow, your standard of "amazing quality" really differs from mine.  Above average audience recording but I'd stop somewhat short of "amazing."

And no guilt.

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I did with the very first bootleg I listened to, the 5th October show. I posted on the "Is anyone else surprised there hasn't been 1 tape yet?" thread:

"The first thing you hear is, "recording is prohibited", which made me feel that the fact this recording exists, and that in listening to it myself, were really shitty.

But I listened up to the end of Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out because I apparently don't have morals."

I ended up really annoying the OP of the thread with that post, and he hasn't been back since. In hindsight I realise my wording was poor, I didn't want to offend anyone at all, but I can understand now why some people would have taken offence.  

What I should have said, and what was my actual thought process, was; this is Bruce's passion project, he's specifically asked for people not to record these shows, and in people doing that, it's disobeying him, it wouldn't 'please' him. And in listening to it, I wasn't really showing concern as to what was right or wrong. I felt like I should've avoided because, "that's what Bruce would want" or some crap like that, but listened because in reality I was really excited to hear the show and couldn't care less.

(Sorry this is really long)

Having now listened to the show multiple times, I feel no guilt. Until a professional recording/DVD is released, I'd have no way of listening to this show and changing my initial negative perceptions of it. In the 3 months that have passed since I've grown to have no problems with Bruce doing this run. Yes, there are still some done-to-death aspects I don't like, but the show itself is phenomenal, and I'm glad I've had the chance to hear some great versions of songs, some beautifully eloquent monologues that reminded me why I love Bruce Springsteen, and I can't wait to buy any officially released audio/video material when they come. 

I'm wondering if indeed there will be an official DVD of the show. To me this is a no brained. What remains to be seen is if they can capture the magic that is this project on video. Remember, just when you think something makes sense, the Springsteen organization goes another direction. If they can do this, it will be another record of Springsteens greatness and will add to the legacy. 

25 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

Wow, your standard of "amazing quality" really differs from mine.  Above average audience recording but I'd stop somewhat short of "amazing."

And no guilt.

That's why it's called a "bootleg" Jack. For a boot, it's pretty fookin' great. 

Damn....Give 'em an inch, they want a mile...It's a friggin' bootleg :unsure:

Archived