Great recording of Jan 9th Broadway on Jungleland

On 1/15/2018 at 10:33 PM, soulcrusader78 said:

No, never.

Factor in the ticket prices for those going if you feel guilty.

Not sure why anyone would feel guilty..........it's a pretty good bet that most of the folks who listen to this have downloaded or bought bootlegs before.Like many, many others I don't have the opportunity to attend one of these shows so I have no qualms.

Having said that I havn't downloaded it and may not even bother.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2018 at 7:14 PM, the calvary said:

I've listened up to Tenth. I've had to stop. I'm gone again.If there's one human on the planet that I wish creation would give another 70 years, it's this man. 

I feel like you do. It's challenging to listen, not for the sound quality, but for the guy up there digging into his soul and sharing it. It's remarkable on so many levels. Hopefully, a good video will emerge.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:26 PM, Kay said:

Weird that he croaks on the recording coz croak he did not at the show.  

I'm not really a fan of Bruce's latter day singing, which is why I don't really listen to anything live post-2012. I didn't enjoy the Rome 2013 release and the free River Tour 2016 release the tempos of the songs just sounded painfully slow, and the power of the vocals no longer there. I hear pretty much the same on any of the clips from Broadway I've listened to. I release Bruce is pushing seventy, and only human, so a lack of range is to be expected but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. If you attended, and enjoyed it, great.

1 minute ago, bobfan1976 said:

I'm not really a fan of Bruce's latter day singing, which is why I don't really listen to anything live post-2012. I didn't enjoy the Rome 2013 release and the free River Tour 2016 release the tempos of the songs just sounded painfully slow, and the power of the vocals no longer there. I hear pretty much the same on any of the clips from Broadway I've listened to. I release Bruce is pushing seventy, and only human, so a lack of range is to be expected but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. If you attended, and enjoyed it, great.

I don't think there's a lack of range really. Certainly the elasticity has lessened, but he's able to chart the octaves pretty well still. The falsetto was still present during the River 2016. It's not there during the Broadway show. But it's worth listening to Land of Hope and Dreams, if you want a reminder of just how strong he's singing. Towards the end, he went into overdrive. My friend from Brooklyn turned to me and said "my god, this is the best". He must have been at least Bruce's age. I'm guessing he is a long haul guy. He was stunned. I turned to Kay and the tears were flowing. His voice absolutely filled the venue. And it was deep, and reasonannt. 

His singing off mic was as loud and effortless as it had been in '96. There was more of it too. You can hear it on the boot. 

Id say give it a go my friend. 

1 minute ago, Kay said:

No, you don't have to enjoy anything Bruce related.  Was just wondering if he sounded croaky on the recording coz he didn't in the venue.  

You not heard it yet? 

2 minutes ago, the calvary said:

I don't think there's a lack of range really. Certainly the elasticity has lessened, but he's able to chart the octaves pretty well still. The falsetto was still present during the River 2016. It's not there during the Broadway show. But it's worth listening to Land of Hope and Dreams, if you want a reminder of just how strong he's singing. Towards the end, he went into overdrive. My friend from Brooklyn turned to me and said "my god, this is the best". He must have been at least Bruce's age. I'm guessing he is a long haul guy. He was stunned. I turned to Kay and the tears were flowing. His voice absolutely filled the venue. And it was deep, and reasonannt. 

His singing off mic was as loud and effortless as it had been in '96. There was more of it too. You can hear it on the boot. 

That Land of Hope and Dreams does sound excellent, Dancing in the Dark just before it does as well.

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Land of Hope and Dreams was freakin' off the charts good. Have heard that tune so many times but it sounded incredible on Broadway. 

Easily the most moving I've seen. Can't get it out of my head, 

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That Land of Hope and Dreams does sound excellent, Dancing in the Dark just before it does as well.

Yes, Dancing was total joy. 

Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm listening now just to remind myself of which particular moments he stretches the notes out, and it's in the way he sings "you can't start at a fire", "this gun's for hire" and "there's something happening somewhere."

Fucking essence. 

I've not listened to the October show, butyes, those held notes were great, and are great on the boot. 

Like Kay, I want to try to find a way back. It's just like nothing that I've experienced. The boot tells only part of the story. All senses were working with this show. Everything added. 

8 minutes ago, the calvary said:

I've not listened to the October show, butyes, those held notes were great, and are great on the boot. 

Like Kay, I want to try to find a way back. It's just like nothing that I've experienced. The boot tells only part of the story. All senses were working with this show. Everything added. 

With this particular audio now there's no reason to go back to the October one, it surpasses it in every way. Like I said earlier in the thread, it's the closest thing we'll get of this to an official release, and the more I listen the more I'm looking forward to the show being released professionally, whether it be just an album or, even better, a DVD. 

I'd love to go to the show, if I can somehow manage it, great, but I'll be fine if I never manage it. If missed out on attending plenty of Springsteen shows in my life, one more isn't going to be any different. 

I know many folks on here have dozens and hundreds of Bruce bootlegs. Some of you have collected for decades. I have maybe a handful. But I have to say this will likely be my favourite until such time as the official Sony/Columbia release happens. So many beautiful and moving versions of old favourites.

A CD release and a DVD/Blu Ray of SOB are almost 100% guaranteed. They could do a stunning edit including every one of the songs played (there have been one or two minor changes on some nights as we know) and make it one seamless show. Bonus footage backstage with the endless parade of celebs and stars coming to the show. Rehearsals with Patti, etc. etc...

JLM are probably already signing off the artwork as I type.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, the calvary said:

Fair point, but I would have to say I have. All artists' voices change over time some more than others; Dylan at one extreme say, and artists like Bruce, Van, McCartney at the other. I agree Bruce's voice has fared rather well but compare the vocal on say the '92 version of 'Growin Up (From the Streets of Philadelphia) to the recent Broadway ones. Yes, I know it's an unfair comparison in some respects, given there's twenty plus years between them but really it's just to illustrate what Bruce's voice was, and what it is now. I accept all artists age, and vocal chords are a muscle and like all muscles they lose elasticity. Van Morrison's voice is great for his age but it isn't what it was even in the early nineties, never mind his seventies/eighties heyday. With Bruce it's hard to pin point but it just seems deeper, less powerful, and doesn't really hold my interest. I know people have been really moved by their Broadway experiences so I don't wish to pee all over your bonfires, so I'll just say this stage of Bruce's career really holds very little interest for me and step out there.

On 15-1-2018 at 10:25 PM, Ann Jones said:

This is amazing quality, no idea how they got away with it.

Anyone else feeling slightly guilty listening??

No guilt here, I’m holding out for an official release and steering from the bootlegs. I’m hoping that by doing so I’ll built my expectations so high that I’ll be disappointed and won’t feel so bad anymore about missing out on this show :D

Archived