3rd Not Quite Annual Greasy Lake Bruce Cover Song Contest: Listen to the songs

The time has come! Here are the 14 entries in the 3rd Not Quite Annual Greasy Lake Bruce Song Cover Contest. You can now listen to all the songs, and soon you will be able to vote for your favorites.

Now, I'm not going to try to influence you, but I can say that we have a really strong field of candidates. All contributions are definitely worth your time. So, no matter who ends up taking the victory, I applaud all of you who submitted. Great job!

Take a good listen or 10 to all the songs and choose your favorite. Voting will be begin this weekend and will end Sunday, January 28.

1. "Blood Brothers" by climbing_jo
  2. "Cadillac Ranch" by Junglelander
  3. "Dancing in the Dark" by bhogg
  4. "Down in the Hole" by Demos
  5. "Johnny 99" by Terry
  6. "Lucky Town" by yvan
  7. "Matamoros Bank" by andre
  8. "Meeting Across the River" by phantomengineer
  9. "My City of Ruins" by Jerm23
  10. "Night" by wolfinthepines
  11. "The River" by Pastor Jeff
  12. "State Trooper" by Tom-Joad
  13. "Streets of Philadelphia" by GreatDane
  14. "What Love Can Do" by ludomichel

By the way, I ask that while voting is taking place, you refrain from discussing individual songs and artists. That way everybody can form their own unbiased opinion.

PS, If anyone's contribution is missing, please contact me ASAP. It means I didn't receive it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible! Just listened to all songs with headphones on and I was really really impressed. Everyone's a winner in my book. A lot of talent and great recordings.

Thanks for putting this together and a great job at sequencing the 14 songs. A lot of variation throughout. 

Just gave all of them a listen. Everyone should be proud of themselves! Really great job, everyone! Thanks for the time and effort everyone put into this!

I've been thinking (don't know how legal this would be) that it could be a good idea to create a bandcamp profile for Greasy Lake and create an album there with these songs that people could just stream or, if they wanted to download it, they could pay whatever they thought was fair and all proceedings would go towards keeping Greasy Lake up and running. I've got a couple of bandcamp accounts so I could help set this up.

Well, all I can say is that every one of you are winners in my eyes... Bloody well done to all of you. I am genuinely well impressed.

The only comment I do have is... Where are the ladies of the Lake??!

4 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Just gave all of them a listen. Everyone should be proud of themselves! Really great job, everyone! Thanks for the time and effort everyone put into this!

I've been thinking (don't know how legal this would be) that it could be a good idea to create a bandcamp profile for Greasy Lake and create an album there with these songs that people could just stream or, if they wanted to download it, they could pay whatever they thought was fair and all proceedings would go towards keeping Greasy Lake up and running. I've got a couple of bandcamp accounts so I could help set this up.

You can use the cover I made a few weeks ago if you'd like. 

2 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

The only comment I do have is... Where are the ladies of the Lake??!

This was my first thought also. Obviously, a man's job ... :P

I am impressed, haven't had the time for a detailed listen, but from what I've heard you are all very talented and I'm looking forward to voting.

Congratulations, everyone!

20 hours ago, Junglelander said:

Everyone of those blows mine out of the water.

Not at all. What I like about yours, even more so that the original, is it's guitar driven instead of organ heavy. Sorry Danny, that's just what I think.

Archived