CosmicKid

And the winner of the 3rd Not Quite Annual....

Thanks man. . . .I was afraid my version was way too stripped down.    I have a version of 'I'm on Fire" that I like better than DITD --- same format, a little reverb, acoustic, harmonica.

I think the coolest thing about all the entries is the ability of each artist to have the balls to take a Bruce song and give it their own take --- everyone should be commended for that.  

• Like 4

On 1/28/2018 at 5:09 PM, CosmicKid said:

As it has been pointed out by some of you along the way, song contests and giving points to songs really doesn't make a lot of sense.

The only comment I saw from someone along those lines was - I thought - simply trying to save face after not getting their entry in on time:lol:

39 minutes ago, Demos said:

The only comment I saw from someone along those lines was - I thought - simply trying to save face after not getting their entry in on time:lol:

I think it may have been essentially a repetition of something he'd written a month or so earlier when discussing music and competition, and how he's not a big fan of such things. 

14 hours ago, the calvary said:

I think it may have been essentially a repetition of something he'd written a month or so earlier when discussing music and competition, and how he's not a big fan of such things. 

Did you manage to finish yours? I'd still like to hear it!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, bhogg said:

Thanks man. . . .I was afraid my version was way too stripped down.  

This is what I actually liked about your version. I think it allowed the song to actually shine and made me think that DITD was actually a good song. I've never actually cared that much for either the pop or rock versions. I think yours is much better. 

Congratulations to all of you who exposed yourselves this way. It was a lot of fun to listen to.

8 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Did you manage to finish yours? I'd still like to hear it!

I'm hooping to get the mixing and mastering done tomorrow. 

I sat for an hour or so today listening to it through speakers instead of headphones. That's when all the glaring errors come out. 

Its a fairly complicated mix, so I'm having a bit of a mess about to see if certain things could either be taken out or maybe rerecorded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the calvary said:

I'm hooping to get the mixing and mastering done tomorrow. 

I sat for an hour or so today listening to it through speakers instead of headphones. That's when all the glaring errors come out. 

Its a fairly complicated mix, so I'm having a bit of a mess about to see if certain things could either be taken out or maybe rerecorded. 

I wish I could be that disciplined...

3 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I wish I could be that disciplined...

The problem is, the recording it's self is so indisciplined. 

Initially I was just messing about with no real thought to making that recording into anything more than a quick run through to get an idea of the arrangement. So it's very sloppy. But I kind of liked the fact that it was sloppy. It's sort of a reaction to what I've always felt was the slightly too clean and precise original. 

I listened back to it a couple of times on the night and liked it enough to start building things around the original vocal and acoustic run through. But there are definite errors. There's a lyric fluff, for instance. And I'm a bit irritated wth the tempo. It's slower than I remembered it being. It should be a bit quicker. Part of me thinks I should redo, but that's kind of adding another week to things. 

Basically im not disciplined, I'm an indecisive twat! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, the calvary said:

The problem is, the recording it's self is so indisciplined. 

Initially I was just messing about with no real thought to making that recording into anything more than a quick run through to get an idea of the arrangement. So it's very sloppy. But I kind of liked the fact that it was sloppy. It's sort of a reaction to what I've always felt was the slightly too clean and precise original. 

I listened back to it a couple of times on the night and liked it enough to start building things around the original vocal and acoustic run through. But there are definite errors. There's a lyric fluff, for instance. And I'm a bit irritated wth the tempo. It's slower than I remembered it being. It should be a bit quicker. Part of me thinks I should redo, but that's kind of adding another week to things. 

Basically im not disciplined, I'm an indecisive twat! 

Sounds like the problems I face when I record. Sometimes, it's just a case of getting inside your own head 

1 minute ago, Junglelander said:

Sounds like the problems I face when I record. Sometimes, it's just a case of getting inside your own head 

Ooh god that's the worst place for anyone to be hehe! My head's a mess all the time. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, Troublette said:

This is what I actually liked about your version. I think it allowed the song to actually shine and made me think that DITD was actually a good song. I've never actually cared that much for either the pop or rock versions. I think yours is much better. 

Congratulations to all of you who exposed yourselves this way. It was a lot of fun to listen to.

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of the original.  I never thought the lyrics lent itself to the arrangement it was given.  But, it was the 80s and synthesizers ruled the land!

• Like 2