22 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture.JPG

Fair enough bearing in mind that's the opinion of a Mojo journalist by the look of it.

I will counter with a http://www.inthe80s.com/whatya.shtml pundit (!)

"Cars And Girls", Prefab Sprout
This is a ripost to Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run. "Brucie dreams, life's a highway, too many roads bypass my way" and later "some things hurt more, much more, than cars and girls" I don't believe this was meant to ridicule Bruce's songs, just using it in a manner to illustrate the depression at the time. I heard that Bruce Springsteen like the song and wrote to the band to tell them so.

In essence I don't really mind what he meant, I like the song and its in the list.

By far and away it's not the most critical one there.

5 minutes ago, LONDONCALLING said:

Fair enough bearing in mind that's the opinion of a Mojo journalist by the look of it.

I will counter with a http://www.inthe80s.com/whatya.shtml pundit (!)

"Cars And Girls", Prefab Sprout
This is a ripost to Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run. "Brucie dreams, life's a highway, too many roads bypass my way" and later "some things hurt more, much more, than cars and girls" I don't believe this was meant to ridicule Bruce's songs, just using it in a manner to illustrate the depression at the time. I heard that Bruce Springsteen like the song and wrote to the band to tell them so.

In essence I don't really mind what he meant, I like the song and its in the list.

By far and away it's not the most critical one there.

Ok so here's the real latter day answer in interview with Kurt B. Reighley in 1992

https://www.sproutology.co.uk/interviews/kurt-b-reighley-full-interview-december-4th-1992/#

Extract here:

PADDY: No, I think I’ve written a handful of songs that are okay. I don’t think I’ve written anything really great. I’ve written a few things that are astute in certain ways, like Cruel, I think the lyric is a good modern lyric. But there again, it sprawls a bit, the whole thing sprawls a bit. And too many of my songs, to my taste at least, too many of them are so specific…

KURT: Mm-hmm.

PADDY: …as to be difficult to see them lasting beyond…You write a song about Bruce Springsteen, his image, then it can be fun for the time in which he’s famous but I don’t know, I don’t see that that lasts. Maybe it shouldn’t be my concern that it kind of lasts…

KURT: No, I think in the case of Cars And Girls though, the things that you pick out about his personality and his song writing to reflect on, I think those days, as long as pop music…you know, which I’m sure it will continue in the same vein for the next hundred years if they have their way…

PADDY: Ah ha, yeah, yeah.

KURT: …you know, they’ll still be relevant.

PADDY: Well, you know, I was saying to someone the other day, I’d read this, it was Musician magazine and sort of published much later in England…

KURT: Mm-hmm.

PADDY: …and he was on the cover of it, and I read the interview with him. And he came up with a sentence that I’ve longed for, and I’ve wished I’d had at my fingertips for ten years, because I’ll often be asked about, “so how do you feel about Springsteen, what exactly is the problem? What exactly is Cars And Girls about?” And he said in one sentence what Cars And Girls is about. He wasn’t talking about it, but this is what he said about his own writing: he said “When I started my song writing path, I tried a heroic posture or outlook. The style of it was, you know, very grand and ‘mansions of glory’”. He said “I’m now trying to write”…he says “real life isn’t like that, and I’m trying to do something about it”.

Well I think he’s slightly harsh on himself, because I think there’s nothing wrong with a sort of glorification in Born To Run, but I wanted…all I was doing was doing what he did. What he said he wanted to do, which is kind of, with a smile on my face, make it all less ‘mansions of glory’ and more people being car sick because I thought you kind of debunk it a little bit, but sort of steal a little bit of his, you know, romanticism as well. But that’s so…it’s easy to talk about it kind of face to face, when you’re writing for a paper, but when the MTV camera rolls, it’s too long-winded a thought for me to voice.

10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Bruce reference at 4:55. The correct title on the album is Driving Her Back To London

I played you Bruce you played me Muse?  Is this about a long distance internet pedophile relationship? LOL

5 hours ago, ThePhisherman said:

I played you Bruce you played me Muse?  Is this about a long distance internet pedophile relationship? LOL

That's what you get from it?  What a warped mind you must have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePhisherman said:

Do you know a Muse fan over 12 yrs old?

Are you 12 years old yourself?  Because the level of your obnoxious trolling on here suggests that you might be.

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Are you 12 years old yourself?  Because the level of your obnoxious trolling on here suggests that you might be.

No, I am 50. My kids like Muse. It is a new band that appeals to kids. The old man singing the creepy song to a muse fan is obviously singing about a child but I'm the obnoxious troll. 

I am not happy the way this recent component has been going on this otherwise benign thread  

It’s about the songwriter and his daughter on a shared journey  

Ok?

Now let’s all move along. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LONDONCALLING said:

It’s about the songwriter and his daughter on a shared journey  

LOL ahhh! When told to cue right to that line how can anyone expect someone to know that?

7 hours ago, ThePhisherman said:

Do you know a Muse fan over 12 yrs old?

Is that you, Mike Huckabee?

I wrote this one about following Bruce (and the E St Band) around Europe:

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, LONDONCALLING said:

NIce One Alan

When is this being released on CD?

Thank you. Early next year... pre-orders for the third album are here now: https://onlychild1.bandcamp.com/album/third-album-pre-order

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Any excuse for a bit of Steve Earle.... Hey Rosie come out tonight!!!!

Worth it always. 

Enjoy another Steve (Forbert) with this ine

Has anyone mentioned Noah and the Whale, 'Give It All Back'?

"Formed a band with a couple of friends

Called ourselves the Devil's Playhouse

Influences like Bruce, and The Band"

On 3/31/2019 at 5:29 PM, Promise61 said:

Has anyone mentioned Noah and the Whale, 'Give It All Back'?

"Formed a band with a couple of friends

Called ourselves the Devil's Playhouse

Influences like Bruce, and The Band"

Thank you

I had not picked that up despite listening to the Last Night on Earth album a few times.

• Like 1

I thought I'd found another until I checked out the lyrics. Bruce's name must be too long to scan properly. 

"Dolly Parton was queen
Billy Joel the boss
We were uptown, downtown, little bit of Motown
With Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

I thought I'd found another until I checked out the lyrics. Bruce's name must be too long to scan properly. 

"Dolly Parton was queen
Billy Joel the boss
We were uptown, downtown, little bit of Motown
With Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross"

Nice.

I think it is a miss for the list but an interesting song nonetheless.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:50 PM, LONDONCALLING said:
On 10/17/2018 at 9:10 PM, soulsofthedeparted said:

Remember prefab sprout(?)

Doing a song ....cars and girls .

Which is dig at Bruce.

Tosserz . Ugh

Oh ffs....wind in yer sensitive snowflake neck. This is a brilliant song from a brilliant songwriter, who fully gets Bruce and all his greatness. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, risingaurora said:

Oh ffs....wind in yer sensitive snowflake neck. This is a brilliant song from a brilliant songwriter, who fully gets Bruce and all his greatness. 

I think that the negative post that I was quoting was dealt with adequately in the moment.