Sign in to follow this  
JustDan

For the Haters (Of Which there are Many): 'Real Man', 'Skin To Skin'

47 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

All in fun Dan. Except for the part about Phil Collins being horrendous. 

Patrick Bateman, the American Psycho, had two heroes in the novel. Donald Trump and Phil Collins. 

Just thought I'd mention that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'll tell ya what's an absolute banger of a Phil Collins song; Invisible Touch.

Git class.

I recall the time this was released, a review headlined "Invisible Content".  'Nuff said.

• Haha 1

The guy wrote Mama for crying out loud. And on top of that he wrote a lot of really good pop songs and during his peak made some nice covers of some good Motown stuff too. 

10 hours ago, the calvary said:

Patrick Bateman, the American Psycho, had two heroes in the novel. Donald Trump and Phil Collins. 

Seems about right. One is an embarrasssment to mankind. The other is president of the United States of America.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Seems about right. One is an embarrasssment to mankind. The other is president of the United States of America and an embarrassment to mankind.

I wouldn’t call Phil an embarrassment to mankind, Trump on the other hand, I only blame him for ruining the way drums sound for at least a decade.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, -Sussudio- said:

The guy wrote Mama for crying out loud.

I have always loved this one.  Probably 'bout the only one solo but love it nonetheless.  Also love him singing Genesis That's All. 

58 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Phil Collins' Tarzan soundtrack B)B)B)

A glitch rightfully prevents me from pressing the love button. The Tarzan soundtrack and film do not deserve love :D

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

He won an Academy Award for that soundtrack

latest?cb=20121008030546&path-prefix=es

So *thats* where the idea for Mr Hanky came from?

On 1/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Nah, I'd say these are great lyrics. 

I met her on the strip three years ago 
In a Camero with this dude from L.A. 
I blew that Camero off my back, 
and drove that little girl away, 
But now there's wrinkles around my baby's eyes 
And she cries herself to sleep at night 
When I come home the house is dark 
She sighs, "Baby did you make it all right," 
She sits on the porch of her Daddy's house 
But all her pretty dreams are torn, 
She stares off alone into the night 
With the eyes of one who hates for just being born 
For all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels, 
Rumbling through this promised land 
Tonight my baby and me, we're gonna ride to the sea 
And wash these sins off our hands. 

"With the eyes of one who hates for just being born."

That's pretty fantastic, agreed.

And the music matches it (unlike the song I was talking about, Real Man, which should have been a stripped-down number, just Bruce and his acoustic).

I don't see why Aretha Franklin can sing what made her feel like a natural woman but Bruce can't sing how love makes him feel like a man, and how guns sure as hell wouldn't. I hate the whole "I have a gun, I'm badass" imagery used in movies and such. KUDOS to Bruce for writing a song that puts down the whole "macho" thing of guns. (And fuck Rambo too - cartoon of a movie unlike First Blood, jingoistic, and an insult to all Vietnam veterans).

But yeah, I ain't gonna compare Real Man to Racing In The Street! ha ha

• Like 4

You know, when it turns out about 50% of a certain topic in The Circuit is posts about Phil Collins ( Phil Collins!:o:o:o:o:o), it is really (that is: REALLY) time for a new Bruce Springsteen studio album.

Only a new album (even if it is maybe not really 'new'  anymore). Not especially a tour needed in support of the album. No need for appearances at Late Night With...whoever, to promote the album. No need for an 'exclusive' interview with Rolling Stone (they will give the album a 5-star review anyway:P).

Only a new album.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

It's one of my favourite lyrics, especially when you contrast it with the optimism of "tramps like us, baby we were born to run", here that optimism is faded, it makes you question if the running has stopped and that place where they really want to go isn't reachable. 

But then again, maybe, "my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea and wash these sins off our hands" suggests that the place in the sun is reachable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

But then again, maybe, "my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea and wash these sins off our hands" suggests that the place in the sun is reachable.

I think the "hates for just being born" line is kind of mind-crushingly depressing but the ride to the sea line kind of redeems it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomengineer said:

I think the "hates for just being born" line is kind of mind-crushingly depressing but the ride to the sea line kind of redeems it.

I think it doesn't need to be redeemed; by that, I mean the extremely depressing line is outstanding by itself.

It's my favorite line in the whole song, easily.

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

And the music matches it (unlike the song I was talking about, Real Man, which should have been a stripped-down number, just Bruce and his acoustic).

I don't see why Aretha Franklin can sing what made her feel like a natural woman but Bruce can't sing how love makes him feel like a man, and how guns sure as hell wouldn't. I hate the whole "I have a gun, I'm badass" imagery used in movies and such. KUDOS to Bruce for writing a song that puts down the whole "macho" thing of guns. (And fuck Rambo too - cartoon of a movie unlike First Blood, jingoistic, and an insult to all Vietnam veterans).

But yeah, I ain't gonna compare Real Man to Racing In The Street! ha ha

Bruce can and has written about love and manliness.

He just didn't do it very well in this particular instance.

4 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Bruce can and has written about love and manliness.

He just didn't do it very well in this particular instance.

That's precisely it. It's a poor song about a theme others, including him, have written more compellingly. The fact that a song has a theme, does not make it a good song. Most bad songs I can think of are about something.

A song written about not needing to shoot people, as long as he can have a snog isn't exactly a deep song, it's a by numbers set of obvious points. I didn't believe the characters were at the movies or anywhere, ever. They exist purely because of Bruce's didacticism. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 9:16 PM, Tenth Avenue said:

Real Man is ok, I don't love it, but I don't really hate it either. Man's Job, on the other hand.... :wacko:

I love Man's Job.  Shyness is not something that's easy to talk about, but when its part of your life, it's very real.  This is one of Bruce's best songs from the early 90's in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

‘Let’s Be Friends’ is a tremendous song! To this day, I still can’t understand why that wasn’t made into a single as that would have done VERY well on the radio back then. 

Brad

What I never really got about Let’s Be Friends are the comparisons with Philly Soul. I like the song as a Pop song and I think it was an important sentiment but it nowhere came close to the majestic songs Gamble and Huff wrote who are the embodiment of Philly Soul to me. They put the bow tie on the funk and their song got such superb reading by acts like the O’ Jays and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. Springsteen did not even get close to emulating that with this song. I beg of you, try to look past Teddy Pendergrass’ haircut in this clip, he’s looked better, but to me this is like musical drugs.

4 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

What I never really got about Let’s Be Friends are the comparisons with Philly Soul. I like the song as a Pop song and I think it was an important sentiment but it nowhere came close to the majestic songs Gamble and Huff wrote who are the embodiment of Philly Soul to me. They put the bow tie on the funk and their song got such superb reading by acts like the O’ Jays and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. Springsteen did not even get close to emulating that with this song. I beg of you, try to look past Teddy Pendergrass’ haircut in this clip, he’s looked better, but to me this is like musical drugs.

The comparisons I got. There are obvious places he's drawing fromeith Let's Be Friends. While I enjoy the song, it doesn't get close to its influences in terms of quality of recording. It's a nice run through of a pastiche that had they spent more time on, could have been something pretty special. 

On 1/29/2018 at 11:33 PM, the calvary said:

That was hurtful :(

but........Goal.