Sign in to follow this  
Skin2Skin

This is Us Episode

Saw it.  Made me cry harder.  I’ll say no more as well. 

• Like 2

Can you at least tell me what This Is Us is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm out.

I wonder if they'll talk about it at the Greasy Ladies' Lunch.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm out.

Only if it is shown in the UK. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm out.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JF:lol:

The only thing I know about this show is that Ryan Adams' ex missus, Mandy Moore, is in it. 

• Like 1

sorry don't understand the secrecy people shouldn't be forced to watch a tv show that they don't want to or aren't able to because it isn't shown in their country

Here's the description someone posted on the Dark Side

=========================================================

Tonight' NBC's hit show "This is Us" featured a minor Springsteen storyline relating to the father character being a fan.

One scene featured (what sounded like) the studio version of "My Beautiful Reward" playing on the car stereo, as the father character wants his daughter to listen.

Episode wraps up with the family deciding to see a live show in their hometown of Pittsburgh.

Jack (the Dad) surprises the family with tickets to see Bruce at the Benedum (Pittsburgh) on the day that becomes his funeral. His wife and 3 kids decide to still go. Very touching ending.

a review from a website blogger thing

https://hellogiggles.com/news/jacks-death-this-is-us-bruce-springsteen/

f you think you were done crying about Jack’s death on This Is Us, think again!! Barely two days after the fateful post-Super Bowl episode — where we all learned the events surrounding Jack’s death in the house fire — there’s another brand new episode of the NBC series. While this episode isn’t as heartbreakingly tragic as the fire episode, it’s just as sad, as it shows us Jack’s funeral and his last few days.

Also, it’s a story about a car.

The episode revolves around Jack buying a brand new car for the family, and the memories he, Rebecca, Kate, Kevin, and Randall all have inside of it — including the trip to the grocery store before the Super Bowl in 1998, which turns out to be their last family outing together. As the family’s driving back to the house for the big game, Jack tells everyone to keep the following Saturday free. He’s got a big surprise for them, so don’t make plans.

Before this, though, we learn that at one point Jack found Kate cutting school because Alanis Morissette was singing her CD (lol) in town, and she’s Kate’s favorite artist. Jack, visibly pissed that she’s not in school, picks her up and instead of taking her back to class, drivers her to the record store. Along the way, Kate makes Jack listen to some Jagged Little Pill. Jack then returns the favor by having Kate listen to one of his favorite artists, Bruce Springsteen. Though Kate’s not that into The Boss, she comes around and tells Jack that he’s still pretty good. It’s a precious father-daughter bonding moment, and from the way the episode plays out it might be one of the last one-on-one moments Kate and Jack have together.

So now, back to Jack’s funeral, and the “surprise” he had planned for the family the following Saturday. Obviously, Jack dies, and it is hella sad and sorry if you’re crying again (me too!). Following the service, Rebecca takes the kids to Jack’s favorite tree — which we saw Kevin visit in the last episode. They spread Jack’s ashes there, before Kate stops them so she can keep them for herself.

It’s then that Rebecca drops Jack’s big surprise on the kids: He got the whole family tickets to see Bruce Springsteen because he’s such a good dad and WOW THESE TEARS ARE REAL.

You can see the pain on 17-year old Kate’s face, because she knows the tickets are because of her continued interest in music, and how she had Jack and just talked about Springsteen. Rebecca suggests that the family go to the concert, even without Jack, because that’s what he would have wanted. The episode closes with the family driving there, still in their funeral black, as we watch Jack purchase the car years ago, explaining to the salesman that his family will always be okay driving in the car — even when he’s not there.

Though this incredibly sad, and will be until the end of time, there’s good news! This Is Us is now off until February 27th, because it’s time for the Olympics. Your eyes and tear ducts have two full weeks to recover before the waterworks return.

If anyone's interested in watching it then please do. One of the best series I've ever watched on tv, great writing, stories and acting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

If anyone's interested in watching it then please do. One of the best series I've ever watched on tv, great writing, stories and acting!

It absolutely is.  

Anyone interested should go back to season 1, and start at the beginning.  

The show is perfect.  Positively brilliant all the way around. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

sorry don't understand the secrecy people shouldn't be forced to watch a tv show that they don't want to or aren't able to because it isn't shown in their country

Tonight' NBC's hit show "This is Us" featured a minor Springsteen storyline relating to the father character being a fan.

One scene featured (what sounded like) the studio version of "My Beautiful Reward" playing on the car stereo, as the father character wants his daughter to listen.

Episode wraps up with the family deciding to see a live show in their hometown of Pittsburgh.

Jack (the Dad) surprises the family with tickets to see Bruce at the Benedum (Pittsburgh) on the day that becomes his funeral. His wife and 3 kids decide to still go. Very touching ending.

I posted when the show was still being shown on the west coast.

I posted obliquely about this on FB and a friend specifically thanked me for being considerate enough not to offer a spoiler.

I was not trying to conceal information or be coy. LOL

It would have been nice if you had put a spoiler tag on your post.

The show is emotional, but not cheap or "sappy" imo. It's well-written, well-acted, and has a lot of heart. This episode was incredibly moving and the Bruce aspect took it way over the top for me.

• Like 3

Just now, Skin2Skin said:

It would have been nice if you had put a spoiler tag on your post.

To be fair, if anyone who hadn't seen it and was planning on watching read past

they'd deserve every spoiler they get.

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

This is what I keep hearing, from close friends whom I more than trust, but I've always avoided watching it for some reason.  I'm not into lots of regular TV shows, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, etc.  Not that This Is Us is remotely like those but I never had the burning desire to watch it.

I might have to change that and have some hankies ready for the whole viewing.  

I hear the show is actually very realistic. 

• Like 1

Also read that Mandy Moore put in a stunning grief scene the other night.  Not overdone at all but understated and right to the core. 

Just now, Kay said:

This is what I keep hearing, from close friends whom I more than trust, but I've always avoided watching it for some reason.  I'm not into lots of regular TV shows, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, etc.  Not that This Is Us is remotely like those but I never had the burning desire to watch it.

I might have to change that and have some hankies ready for the whole viewing.  

I hear the show is actually very realistic. 

It really is.  

I only have a few regular series I watch as well, so I get where you’re coming from.  

But not only is the writing, directing, and acting top notch; but the entire concept of this show is simply brilliant.  

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

Also read that Mandy Moore put in a stunning grief scene the other night.  Not overdone at all but understated and right to the core. 

She’s done a few of these types of scenes.  

This show is the master at taking ordinary life experiences, makes you feel deeply, without sensationalizing.  

You also have to pay very close attention at all times.  If you sneeze you could miss something extremely important.  

• Like 2

I don't watch much tv at all. This is Us is mandatory viewing. And I trust them to keep at this high level in the future. 

I would hate for this show to jump the shark.

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

To be fair, if anyone who hadn't seen it and was planning on watching read past

they'd deserve every spoiler they get.

Yes but, 

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

The secrecy wasn't about forcing people to watch a show, it was to prevent spoilers. I skipped Andrew's post, as I still haven't seen the episode. but to pretend there isn't such a thing as a spoiler, is silly.

By the way, this episode had huge ratings, even for a post Super Bowl show, and the events in it were hugely anticipated. On the radio the next day they talked about it, without spoilers, as if they were discussing the latest character to get sliced in two on (or whatever) on Game of Thrones. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Yes but, 

The secrecy wasn't about forcing people to watch a show, it was to prevent spoilers. I skipped Andrew's post, as I still haven't seen the episode. but to pretend there isn't such a thing as a spoiler, is silly.

By the way, this episode had huge ratings, even for a post Super Bowl show, and the events in it were hugely anticipated. On the radio the next day they talked about it, without spoilers, as if they were discussing the latest character to get sliced in two on (or whatever) on Game of Thrones. 

You're missing the point here though, MG. S2S said that Andrew should have put a spoiler tag on his post, I was simply pointing out that anyone who didn't want to know what happens, but who read past his post where he said; "Here's the description", has nobody but themselves to blame for getting the episode ruined. 

7 hours ago, AMIW said:

There's a pretty big gap there from his initial point leading up to the actual episode description, enough so where you can read it and not see any spoilers. 

And as far as the bit of the post you referred to goes, MarillaI saw it more as Andrew helping out those of us who have no interest in the show yet still like a good ol' Bruce reference. I mean, when I first read the OP I found myself asking, "so what is the Bruce content? What's the point of this thread if you're just going to be vague about it?" I could care less about the show and no way was I going to watch however many episodes/seasons just to find that out, so I'm happy somebody posted a description. 

AANNND....since dad died that means she had an extra ticket.  NOW if they had wanted to make it really realistic she would have pulled out her phone and signed on to Greasy Lake and sold it to some forlorn fan and even made a few bucks!!!

It made me smile and that she, in the end, on the day of their dad's burial they go see Bruce.   Sounds fookin' right to me.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I think of the nights we all spent during tours when someone was calling in the set li st and someone ws posting it here 'live'....God, I remember refreshing my page to get the latest and sometimes laughing so hard (in my room by myself) my stomach hurt.  "Those were the best days of my life..."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

It absolutely is.  

Anyone interested should go back to season 1, and start at the beginning.  

I’ll have to go on demand and check it out and then discuss with RJM at the NJ Ladies of the Lake Do Breakfast on Route 17 when  the Ladies of the Lake Do Lunch across the pond! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

I’ll have to go on demand and check it out and then discuss with RJM at the NJ Ladies of the Lake Do Breakfast on Route 17 when  the Ladies of the Lake Do Lunch across the pond! 

:) 

If you start to watch, text me and let me know what you think! 

Off the Bruce thread in TIU,, Sterling K Brown is wonderful and has  deservedly won every award he was nominated for.  But I gotta say Milo Ventimiglia portrays the wisest, kindest, most loving father the likes of which I haven't seen on tv in eons.  He deserves a few nominations as well...

• Like 4

Its the time shifting .... at the end of the very first episode i was like "oh ...thats them " ? ...and they got me the other night ...which i won't mention in case people haven't seen it yet ....Brilliant idea to play loose with the time line ...for instance i still love every time William shows up.

And Jacks death would be much more horrible if we didn't know he would still be on the show.

• Like 1