JimCT

Come on you Spurs!

It seems like I am the only acknowledged fan of this very good side. I thought I'd start a thread to entice others to join, and take my shots from supporters of others when they fall short.

I only started watching EPL at the end of the 2015-16 season as Leicester won their miracle. The games were on telly (lots of them!) and I had the time. Lacking any geographic loyalty to guide me, I watched initially as a neutral. When asked to choose a side the next season I considered the choices. The lesser teams were uninspiring (although I confess a soft spot for both Huddersfield Town and BHA this year, based mostly on their managers). Among the higher ranked teams, my choosing process went like this.

I favor the color blue, especially vs red. Just my preference. Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, and Man City were possibles, but Chelsea fell out due to the owner (and manager) and Everton due to a lack of inspiring personnel. City and Leicester also had marks against due to ownership.

Man U, Liverpool, and Arsenal were disadvantaged by team colors at first. Each also had additional black marks due to ownership - the Americans who have bought foreign clubs are dislikable people, in general. Each of the managers had issues as well. Although as a former artillery officer the Gunners and their cannon had some appeal ;) that couldn't overcome their ownership and manager, both HUGE impediments to fandom.

I had no prior knowledge of Spurs or their history. Then I discovered that an old friend of mine grew up nearby and was a childhood fan of theirs, going with his dad to see them at Whitehart Lane in their 1960-61 season. That was a plus check mark. The owners seemed level-headed (cheap, not flashy ;)), and they were the most "local". Plus check mark. I quite like their manager - young and positive. Plus check mark. Young, developing players as opposed to high-priced, hired guns. Plus check mark. It's really fun to watch Kane and Ali and Son and Eriksen when they are "on". A couple of strong Dutch defenders is another plus - I like the Dutch! So I end up as a Spurs fan.

Well done today, beating Arsenal!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JimCT said:

A couple of strong Dutch defenders is another plus - I like the Dutch!

You mean Belgian, right? ;)

31 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

You mean Belgian, right? ;)

You are correct, my bad :wub: - I like the Belgians, too! I may root for them in the WC, too, I'm a big fan of de Bruyne. No US, no Dutch.

Good choice Jim, in a dreary english premier league, Spurs are one of the few teams I would go out of my way to watch playing, as it is a joy when they are on song. They do have a strong Belgian element, but Belguim like Spurs have not delivered to their potential and this summer may be the last chance for some of them to finally realise that potential at the World Cup. I know De Bruyne, Salah and to a lesser extent Kane have done well this season, and De Bruyne will probably be Player Of The Year, but my favourite player in that league is Mousa Dembele, strong, physical, skillful and sure he dishes it out but he just gets on with things whe he gets clattered, he is so important to how the team plays and does so much excellent work off the ball that goes unnoticed, he would be my first signing if I were ever to pick a dream team.

Spurs very entertaining as usual, great game between two very good sides with a healthy respect for each other, two away goals must make Spuirs favourites to go through now, but I think there will be a few twists and turns in this one still. Worry about Sanchez in centre of defence, although he was OK last night.

I think the decisive victory over Real Madrid in the group stages has given this young Spurs team great belief that they can compete and beat anyone if they can keep the squad together it could be a watershed moment for them.

spurs field a real B team against Rochdale - will they get lucky or will they get caught out no Kane, Alli, Vertonghen, denbele, lloris etc

10 minutes ago, AMIW said:

looking good for spurs at half-time :D

Stupid mistake, but they've had chances and I expect (hope?) that they will get it sorted in the 2d half.

Remind me when Liverpool plays next in this competition? :P 

Well Well Well plucky little spurs hold rochdale to a draw just like Juventus!!

I think Liverpools next game is January :(

See yer man Ali was up to his tricks again today.

Does the moneyball fantasy league not have a "compliance officer" (or similar, that's the name up here) to take retrospective against divers?

But as he's Ingurlish, and not a cheating foreigner, nowt will happen I guess. Same as with Kane when admitted diving against Liverpool.

And listening to Linekar et al, I swear if I hear one more "pundit" giving "there was contact" as an excuse for diving or a reason for giving a foul.............:angry:

and whilst the money is good for rochdale with a replay they now have another game to postpone - they already have five games to make up and are bottom of the league so they are going to be playing every 2 or 3 days the rest of the season

Thought they had survived. Oh well, I guess a replay is still better than a "no more play"

Whew! So many missed opportunities, could easily have netted 3 or 4. Aurier gets the Sterling Award for worst open net miss, although Kane was a surprising contender.

how come Aurier doesn't know how to take a throw? two foul throws in the second half he should be sent to Sunderland on loan as punishment for that :o

• Haha 1

After the run of tough fixtures this was uninspired, as MMiAZ said elsewhere. They still had plenty of looks, though. I prefer the dynamic with Son starting, and Trippier over Aurier. But what do I know about footie?

I always think Aurier is on the verge of a penalty at some point, rashly. And Trippier seems to cross into the box from the right side consistently. With Kane, Ali, Son and Eriksen set to receive those crosses that has to be good.

so spurs cant play in two home  stadiums in the same season and they cant play the same weekend as arsenal so august and September could be interesting for them

3 hours ago, AMIW said:

so spurs cant play in two home  stadiums in the same season and they cant play the same weekend as arsenal so august and September could be interesting for them

The "no two home stadiums in a season" rule seems arbitrary. For example, if any delay is attributable to the contractor not meeting an agreed schedule then the league should be able to waive it for extraordinary circumstances.

The pairing with Arsenal seems like a bigger issue. If Spurs do "away" for 4-6 weeks, then Arsenal must be home for those weekends to maintain the symmetry. 

I don't recall the rule about no local games on the same weekend applying when Liverpool started away and the Everton ground is significantly closer than Arsenal and Spurs are.

the Liverpool and Blackpool delays were just for one game - but the West Ham one was definitely multiple games as I think spurs are seeking.

spurs having the same kind of problems with video replay in their game tonight that Liverpool had a few weeks ago