Greasy Lake Community

Come on you Spurs!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in York and have watched York City for over 35 years though thin and thinner.  Last year we were relegated to the 6th tier of English football for the first time ever. Hard times. 

Pure class by EFC  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, bigbonesbilly said:

It was the video referee that decided on the red card, the ref on the pitch thought yellow.  A dislocated fracture of the ankle, not sure if that is worse than a broken leg.  I broke my ankle once playing a game of football I was trying to avoid being tackled and put my weight on the outside of my foot rather than the bottom.

Listening to the Guardian pod this morning and they implied that VAR didn't have a role in the call.  FWIW they didn't seem to feel it was a red but seemed sympathetic to how it ended up that way. It seems equal parts murky and tragic.  

I obviously didn't see it but the review of how VAR was implemented was caustic to say the least.  

8 hours ago, JimCT said:

report that Spurs have appealed Sonny's red card - https://talksport.com/football/625266/tottenham-heung-min-son-andre-gomes/

I do not think it was a red card, and Spurs are going through difficult times just now, but I think they should leave it alone as this is a case of least said soonest mended IMHO.

22 hours ago, JimCT said:

report that Spurs have appealed Sonny's red card - https://talksport.com/football/625266/tottenham-heung-min-son-andre-gomes/

13 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I do not think it was a red card, and Spurs are going through difficult times just now, but I think they should leave it alone as this is a case of least said soonest mended IMHO.

Son wins red card appeal, card rescinded - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/05/tottenhams-son-heung-min-wins-appeal-against-everton-red-card/

No word on replaying the final 20 minutes :( 

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Son wins red card appeal, card rescinded - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/05/tottenhams-son-heung-min-wins-appeal-against-everton-red-card/

No word on replaying the final 20 minutes :( 

I am very glad the card was rescinded.  I felt it was a dubious call at best and Son needs back on the pitch as fast as possible for his own sake.

8 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

I am very glad the card was rescinded.  I felt it was a dubious call at best and Son needs back on the pitch as fast as possible for his own sake.

But will he be as aggressive as he always is. 

I don't think Lawrence Taylor was ever quite right again after Theisman accident 

Eric dier brings justice to the game by scoring an own goal

if var had disallowed that one the Sheffield utd fans would have been justified in storming the var room at fa he and burning the place to the ground 

When I speak to my Spurs friends and ask them why it’s all gone belly up, to a man they refuse to comment. It is as if they are in denial.

Here are a few theories :

The team have been punching above their weight over the last few seasons. Now they are at their realistic level.

The squad needed a big revamp in the summer but Levy didn’t deliver for Poch.

The funds for rebuilding aren’t there following the £1B cost of the new stadium.

Players like Erickson, Toby A and Vertonghen are not paid the market rate and are just running down their contracts. Spurs generally do not pay the levels dished out by Man U, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

Vertonghen and Erickson have had a major bust up over a woman’s rumoured infidelity and this has completely disrupted the dressing room atmosphere. 

Eric Dier has not been played enough.

Add all these factors together and you have a team ‘going through the motions’.

Poch is naturally hugely frustrated and I expect him to walk in the summer. His win rate this season at only 25% is simply not good enough. Recent seasons have been over 50%.

Levy however won’t sack him as the cost of severing his contract is estimated at over £20M.

Troubled times for the club.

7 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

When I speak to my Spurs friends and ask them why it’s all gone belly up, to a man they refuse to comment. It is as if they are in denial.

Here are a few theories :

The team have been punching above their weight over the last few seasons. Now they are at their realistic level.

The squad needed a big revamp in the summer but Levy didn’t deliver for Poch.

The funds for rebuilding aren’t there following the £1B cost of the new stadium.

Players like Erickson, Toby A and Vertonghen are not paid the market rate and are just running down their contracts. Spurs generally do not pay the levels dished out by Man U, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

Vertonghen and Erickson have had a major bust up over a woman’s rumoured infidelity and this has completely disrupted the dressing room atmosphere. 

Eric Dier has not been played enough.

Add all these factors together and you have a team ‘going through the motions’.

Poch is naturally hugely frustrated and I expect him to walk in the summer. His win rate this season at only 25% is simply not good enough. Recent seasons have been over 50%.

Levy however won’t sack him as the cost of severing his contract is estimated at over £20M.

Troubled times for the club.

Levy has made a few missteps over the past 3 years, and I think they are inter-related. First, and most important, he had the club be the general contractor for the stadium project, thus retaining all the risk of screw-ups. It would be most usual for such a project to enter into a contract that transfers more of that risk to a professional. Thus, the cost overruns impinged on club cash-flow (but NOT FFP limits, as I understand stadium matters are outside FFP). That probably affected the net spend in the 2 years prior to this summer.

Second, he kept certain players who were popular (with both Poch and the fans) rather than sell and replace, and this was a function of the cash flow to a large degree. Think Toby, Jan, Danny, Christian, Wanyama. I'm new to footie, so I'm learning about contract structures, transfer markets, etc, which are quite different from the US sports I grew up with. Spurs performance last year may have even been enhanced by a lack of transfers, a settled and happy squad. A healthy and fully-bedded in Lucas helped.

Third, I think he failed to anticipate the recent behavior of many players in their last 12-18 months to strike a more defiant attitude towards extensions or sales, settling to run out contracts and take advantage of teams such as Juve offering big wages and sign-on fees to players they can acquire w/o a transfer fee. I think now that a team should resolve a player's future with at least 2 years to go in the contract, lest it become cornered.

Fourth, and related, allowing the Eriksen cancer to fester was a major mistake. He wanted out, so out he goes. Quickly. CE also apparently had some surgery this summer, but it's never been fully reported. Did that affect the ability to sell him?

Finally, this summer Levy tried his usual tactic of squeezing every deal for the last drop of juice, and that really hurt. He should have bitten the bullet and sold several early on and acquired Lo Celso/Fernandes/Olmo/Dybala (2 of the 4? 3?) early on too, so they could get acquainted with Poch and the rest of the team and be fully fit and running with the team. The last-minute additions have negatively affected the performance in this first 30% of the season.

This summer with the stadium essentially completed Levy did back Poch in the transfer market. Ndombele is likely to be as good as expected. The only drawback is that his fitness when he finally reported was not up to Poch's standards, apparently. He shows every sign of progress, understanding what is expected and intending to get there. 

Clarke, a young acquisition for the future, has been unproductive. Hopefully, the 2d half will see his situation sorted, either playing at Leeds or re-loaned elsewhere. As I understand it Poch had faith in Bielsa at Leeds. Oh, well. Either way, Clarke was not going to be the solution to this season.

Lo Celso may be as good as hoped, we just don't know yet. But the delay in getting his deal done, plus his summer playing elsewhere that affected his integration with the team, was due to Levy IMO. The injury at the first international break was just added burden.

Sessegnon was known to be injured, but he has been a team target for a while if the press has any accuracy, and that would have to be Poch IMO. His setback was a problem, but he's now looking to get more fully involved. That looks to pretty seamlessly solve the left-back problem of Rose, but the overlap period has not gone to plan.

Selling Trippier looks premature, but certainly the injuries to KWP and Foyth made that more apparent. Selling Aurier would have been better IMO, but Trippier's age may have colored the evaluation.

The question for this year is getting those with knocks back fully fit. I think KWP and Foyth can hold down right-back adequately. Getting the youngster Tanganga some first-team time (and a contract extension) would be helpful in the middle defense, too. Getting Parrot some time up front would be good. Getting Lamela healthy would help - he was playing well. But his frailty over the years has to be recognized, and he should be sold. That may be tough for Poch to do to his countryman, but it is just reality. I really like Lucas, and hope he gets more opportunity.

They need at least 1 midfielder in January, maybe 2 if the opportunity presents. A quality right back would help, but as I said above I think that hole can be plugged adequately internally, and then re-evaluate in the summer. Should Foyth play on the right or in the center? IDK - in Poch I trust.

Finally, Levy refinanced the stadium construction debt in a really low cost and long term deal. He still hasn't sold the naming rights, so that can add to the transfer kitty, and it will be substantial. As I understand FFP, and the team's cash flow based on their public accounts, I estimate that Spurs will have ~£80-100mm per year to spend on transfers as long as they qualify for the UCL KO stage and don't allow their wage bill to inflate too much.

The last two years of standing still have caught up with them. It's fixable, but it will take some time to get it right. Below is the question posed in a slightly different way by others earlier today.

• Like 1

Jim, that is a fascinating overview of the current state of play at Spurs. A proper analysis ! It will be fascinating to see how things play out over the next say half a dozen games. Much amusement here in London at the moment with talk of the forthcoming West Ham v Spurs fixture being a proverbial ‘6 pointer’.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

Jim, that is a fascinating overview of the current state of play at Spurs. A proper analysis ! It will be fascinating to see how things play out over the next say half a dozen games. Much amusement here in London at the moment with talk of the forthcoming West Ham v Spurs fixture being a proverbial ‘6 pointer’.

Here's a link about the refinancing. Note the low interest cost (2.66%) and the repayment term (out to 30 years). Annual debt service of less than £26mm fully amortizes that debt - and then you'd own that fabulous stadium outright! I don't recall seeing an amount for the revolving line of credit, but IIRC at least once is was claimed to be >£100mm. Also note the net profit last year, £138.9mm - that solves a LOT of FFP issues :) 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/20/tottenham-refinance-stadium-debt-purse-strings-not-loosen-daniel-levy

Also, I recall reading that per match receipts are significantly higher in the new stadium (>£1mm more). Add the fees Levy gets from the NFL usage.