Greasy Lake Community

Come on you Spurs!

JimCT

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Jim, I dig you love Poch, but has he won anything? Shit PSG didn't even win their league last year, after what a 6-7 year run?

Go back to the inception of the thread - I became a fan because of the manager and the young team. Fans of longer tenure are more romantic about him - Spurs fans liked the "style". The team became a consistent top-4, and the UCL final had visions dancing in their heads (the early penalty was ridiculous, btw).

The way he was dismissed hurt fans. And Poch himself has fed the romantic notions of a return. Is he a top-5 in the world manager? Doubtful. But, after Pep and Klopp, who are the rest? Probably Conte, actually. José? I personally think he's past his sell-by date. Who else? Not so clear, is it?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Go back to the inception of the thread - I became a fan because of the manager and the young team. Fans of longer tenure are more romantic about him - Spurs fans liked the "style". The team became a consistent top-4, and the UCL final had visions dancing in their heads (the early penalty was ridiculous, btw).

The way he was dismissed hurt fans. And Poch himself has fed the romantic notions of a return. Is he a top-5 in the world manager? Doubtful. But, after Pep and Klopp, who are the rest? Probably Conte, actually. José? I personally think he's past his sell-by date. Who else? Not so clear, is it?

1. Graham Potter 2. Eddie Howe 3. Southgate 4. Rafa 5. Moyes

I just though some names out, doesn't mean they are any better than what Spurs had or going to have. 

42 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

For having two of the best managers in football today, what a mess of a first half. No flow by either side. 

I'm kind of willing to give Conte a break here - he has hasn't had much time to work with his players.  

• Like 1

The question is, can Conte get a tune out of a squad of very limited talent ? Lloris in goal is class. Last season Kane and Son were on fire but this season Harry has totally lost his mojo and this has affected Son’s performances too. The rest of the team, whichever 8 players Conte picks between goalkeeper and front two, are frankly bang average. Can Conte inspire performances like the home win v City or will it be a continuation of what has followed since, this season ?

The other question is…..will Kane be sold in Jan to raise funds ? He clearly wants ‘out’. Without this, is there any money in Levy’s pot ? Arguably not. Spurs have the largest bank overdraft in the Premiership…..over £700M.

5 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

The question is, can Conte get a tune out of a squad of very limited talent ? Lloris in goal is class. Last season Kane and Son were on fire but this season Harry has totally lost his mojo and this has affected Son’s performances too. The rest of the team, whichever 8 players Conte picks between goalkeeper and front two, are frankly bang average. Can Conte inspire performances like the home win v City or will it be a continuation of what has followed since, this season ?

The other question is…..will Kane be sold in Jan to raise funds ? He clearly wants ‘out’. Without this, is there any money in Levy’s pot ? Arguably not. Spurs have the largest bank overdraft in the Premiership…..over £700M.

I'm guessing that you know more about football than you do about finance ;)

Man United recently released their 2020-21 financial. Spurs should be in the next couple of weeks. Citeh seems to be on an April timetable, not sure about the others.

According to a recently released study, Spurs can spend more than any other team under FFP. How much they WILL spend is always the question fans ask. If the fellow Levy hired for the purpose can get a suitable naming rights deal across the line that would be a game changer. They also had more than £220 mm in cash as of the 2020 financials (Citeh had ~£18mm in cash at the same point, while Man U had ~£51.5mm, increased to £110 million in the 2021 financials due to a £60mm borrowing ;)). IIRC Levy also set up a credit line of £100mm that he can draw on for transfers.

I'd wouldn't put it past Levy to sell Kane in January if Citeh put a real bid on the table. He'd be better served, however, by extorting payments from Chelsea and Liverpool NOT to sell Kane to Citeh. I think £20-25mm each is reasonable :D :D :D 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

49370079-0-image-a-2_1634655221549.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

I'm guessing that you know more about football than you do about finance ;)

Man United recently released their 2020-21 financial. Spurs should be in the next couple of weeks. Citeh seems to be on an April timetable, not sure about the others.

According to a recently released study, Spurs can spend more than any other team under FFP. How much they WILL spend is always the question fans ask. If the fellow Levy hired for the purpose can get a suitable naming rights deal across the line that would be a game changer. They also had more than £220 mm in cash as of the 2020 financials (Citeh had ~£18mm in cash at the same point, while Man U had ~£51.5mm, increased to £110 million in the 2021 financials due to a £60mm borrowing ;)). IIRC Levy also set up a credit line of £100mm that he can draw on for transfers.

I'd wouldn't put it past Levy to sell Kane in January if Citeh put a real bid on the table. He'd be better served, however, by extorting payments from Chelsea and Liverpool NOT to sell Kane to Citeh. I think £20-25mm each is reasonable :D :D :D 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

49370079-0-image-a-2_1634655221549.jpg

So you think Levy's best strategy is to go for a big infusion of cash from a problematic ownership? ;-)

2 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

So you think Levy's best strategy is to go for a big infusion of cash from a problematic ownership? ;-)

Not sure what you mean by "problematic ownership"? Who does that refer to - Citeh? CFC? Levy isn't accountable for who/what they are. LFC is owned by Fenway Sports Group, far more problematic for this Yankees fan, although taking money from them for little more than NOT selling a player to their rivals is appealing, actually :D 

• 2 weeks later...