MagicRatAFC

Official 2018 NFL thread

So this AAF, what's it like? Any good?

No coverage over here, I might check and see if I can find owt on t'internet.

I had a quick scan at one of the teams (Orlando I think) and saw Will Hill's name.

These development/minor leagues tend, historically, not to last (I never, to my shame,  ever got round to watching the Scottish Claymores in NFL Europe) but you'd have thought the NFL could use just such a league.

So has Kraft been charged with being a punter or actually running the knocking shop?

It's not clear from what I've read.

23 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

So has Kraft been charged with being a punter or actually running the knocking shop?

It's not clear from what I've read.

I think this is going to run rather deep. Another Boston businessman was named in the bust, and I would think would be a pal of Kraft's. Apparently 175  names are in the report.  Jupiter is a wealthy area of Florida with retirees, and I think in regards to this spa, only people "in the know" would know what was actually going on at the spa. These places are many times fronts for other operations, and in this case human trafficking. This is a sting that the authorities had been working on. 

I think a good lawyer could win the case for him, if he had gone one time.  Claim he didn't know what was going on there, and thought the questions about what he wanted meant something else.  Pretty difficult to use that excuse for the 2nd trip.

Fire sale in East Rutherford.

Everything must go.

No reasonable offer refused......

:o

Fun and games today, though most of the biggees seem to be public already.

7 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Fire sale in East Rutherford.

Everything must go.

No reasonable offer refused......

:o

After yesterday, Eli better be cut or retire with his $23M contract. John Mara has essentially put Eli in a position where he is going to be loathed by the fan base and I am there now.  The sheer STUPIDITY of signing OBJ to an extensions, paying him $25M for 12 games and then being forced to eat $16M in dead money against the cap after trading him is unfathomable. Gettleman should have gotten back a first, second, player and next year's first for OBJ. He didnt even get the higher pick in the 3rd round the Browns have.  They also have dead cap money tied up in Oliver Vernon ($8M), Snacks and Eli Apple, those figures I don't have handy. John Mara is a fucking fool, he should sell the Giants. He didnt fire Coughlin soon enough, replaced him with a guy who had no idea what he was doing, and let Jerry Reese ruin the roster afte the 2011 Super Bowl. This decade has been a total wash.  The only apparent silver lining out of this is the Giants are expected to have an estimated $103M in cap room in 2020. 2019 is going to be a waste of a season, ugly, ugly football. 

Let the spending begin. $120 million under the cap. 

Colts sign Devin Funchess 

funchess_sign

On 3/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

After yesterday, Eli better be cut or retire with his $23M contract. John Mara has essentially put Eli in a position where he is going to be loathed by the fan base and I am there now.  The sheer STUPIDITY of signing OBJ to an extensions, paying him $25M for 12 games and then being forced to eat $16M in dead money against the cap after trading him is unfathomable. Gettleman should have gotten back a first, second, player and next year's first for OBJ. He didnt even get the higher pick in the 3rd round the Browns have.  They also have dead cap money tied up in Oliver Vernon ($8M), Snacks and Eli Apple, those figures I don't have handy. John Mara is a fucking fool, he should sell the Giants. He didnt fire Coughlin soon enough, replaced him with a guy who had no idea what he was doing, and let Jerry Reese ruin the roster afte the 2011 Super Bowl. This decade has been a total wash.  The only apparent silver lining out of this is the Giants are expected to have an estimated $103M in cap room in 2020. 2019 is going to be a waste of a season, ugly, ugly football. 

Well, I'm feeling more positive about the coming season....... I don't know if we make the play offs but I'd predict now we win north of eight games.

The three losses have left us with dead cap, yes.

I think Collins's agent played us.

I think he hung us on until season end, knowing Landon was never signing a long term deal.

I don't think paying a strong safety a one year tag deal would've been wise, and I genuinely believe the Skins have gone full Albert Haynesworth with the contract they've given him.

OV, though a good, good player, was never good value.

OBJ, well, he's a generational talent, most likely HoF bound.

I'm sad to see him go, but think if this.

How many focal point, superstar wide outs, since Jerry Rice, have won a Superbowl?

Megatron? No. Fitzgerald? No. Randy Moss.......TO......Crisis Carter......Steve Smith.......they don't tend to win the big one.

Gettleman is building from the trenches out, I believe this continues in the draft.

I honestly believe, with the right o line and right system.......and a decent D, we'll be competitive this season.

I don't see us taking Haskins at six, all the stuff I've read reckons he's a low first/high second at best.

Our next long term QB.....who knows, but we can win with Eli if the trenches are right.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:31 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

Well, I'm feeling more positive about the coming season....... I don't know if we make the play offs but I'd predict now we win north of eight games.

The three losses have left us with dead cap, yes.

I think Collins's agent played us.

I think he hung us on until season end, knowing Landon was never signing a long term deal.

I don't think paying a strong safety a one year tag deal would've been wise, and I genuinely believe the Skins have gone full Albert Haynesworth with the contract they've given him.

OV, though a good, good player, was never good value.

OBJ, well, he's a generational talent, most likely HoF bound.

I'm sad to see him go, but think if this.

How many focal point, superstar wide outs, since Jerry Rice, have won a Superbowl?

Megatron? No. Fitzgerald? No. Randy Moss.......TO......Crisis Carter......Steve Smith.......they don't tend to win the big one.

Gettleman is building from the trenches out, I believe this continues in the draft.

I honestly believe, with the right o line and right system.......and a decent D, we'll be competitive this season.

I don't see us taking Haskins at six, all the stuff I've read reckons he's a low first/high second at best.

Our next long term QB.....who knows, but we can win with Eli if the trenches are right.

Landon Collins wasn't getting money he commanded from the Giants, was brutal in coverage the last two years. They were smart to pass on him and let him walk, because the return that was offered for him in the middle of the year wasn't strong enough (4th rd pick). What I think ( I hope anyways) is partly what you said, build from the inside out. People talk about Kansas City model, but what I really think they are doing is trying to build  the rest of the roster up and then add the new QB. 

3 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

People talk about Kansas City model,

What have every criminal possible on your team? ;) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

Landon Collins wasn't getting money he commanded from the Giants, was brutal in coverage the last two years. They were smart to pass on him and let him walk, because the return that was offered for him in the middle of the year wasn't strong enough (4th rd pick). What I think ( I hope anyways) is partly what you said, build from the inside out. People talk about Kansas City model, but what I really think they are doing is trying to build  the rest of the roster up and then add the new QB. 

I was listening to Sean O'Hara on the Damashek podcast, he made a lot of really good arguments as to why the Giants will be competitive this season, he also made the point that he doesn't think we've given up on Kyle Lauletta yet (though that cameo against Washington did not set my pulse racing).

Building from the trenches....that's the Giants way.

We do seem to have become a reunion zone for former Cardinals defenders, but I guess they're the guys that Bettcher knows, so we'll see how it plays out.

18 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I was listening to Sean O'Hara on the Damashek podcast, he made a lot of really good arguments as to why the Giants will be competitive this season, he also made the point that he doesn't think we've given up on Kyle Lauletta yet (though that cameo against Washington did not set my pulse racing).

Building from the trenches....that's the Giants way.

We do seem to have become a reunion zone for former Cardinals defenders, but I guess they're the guys that Bettcher knows, so we'll see how it plays out.

Much will hinge on how they draft and the positions they fill. I dont think they take a QB, I think it's going to be a defensive end at #6 and will probably target a bigger bodied WR. 

There's word of a "plug and play" right tackle in the draft (can't recall the name heard him discussed on a podcast) so he could be a hit for one of the picks, but D line will be defo one of the two first rounders I'd reckon.

Most of the mocks have us taking Haskins at six but that's a non starter now I'd say.