Greasy Lake Community

The Hall of ESSENCE

5 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm inducting the entire Archive Series because let's be honest, it's the greatest example of ESSENCE. 

Can you delete the 2-3 minutes of drumming and 'yeah yeahing' from Bruce on the St Louis 2008 download? But otherwise all good.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:14 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm inducting the entire Archive Series because let's be honest, it's the greatest example of ESSENCE. 

I'm struggling with the suggestion that *any* recording of Shout can be contemplated as "essence", let alone all of them...

13 hours ago, jukebox said:

I'm struggling with the suggestion that *any* recording of Shout can be contemplated as "essence", let alone all of them...

Not to mention every version of Sunny Day with a Sunny Day kid...:o

It's different for the versions where Bruce is the only one who is singing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jukebox said:

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Not to mention every version of Sunny Day with a Sunny Day kid...:o

It's different for the versions where Bruce is the only one who is singing.

You need the "bad essence" to appreciate the ESSENCE

Sunny Day kids though?

2079586481_ScreenShot2019-01-30at22_06_57.thumb.png.31e0c04c72b61811af5719199785ba9a.png

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, man - such mixed feelings tonight.  It's the 34th anniversary of my first ever Bruce concert.  :)

Ken Rosen has posted an audio from that night... and it's got a (to me) rather unique intro to Racing, followed by a beautiful rendition. :wub::wub::wub:

It starts at 2:05:20

https://youtu.be/ActxhSB5YFY?t=7520

That's essence under all that hiss....

I was 17 at the time, and  I don't remember it.  :(:o:unsure:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I can confirm that 2:19 - 2:33 of "Sundown" is ESSENCE.

Please feel free to post your Western Stars ESSENCE suggestions. 

And yes, I am strongly contemplating inducting "Moonlight Motel" as a full song inductee. 

It's a very special song. Love the detail in the telling of the story. So evocative.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I can confirm that 2:19 - 2:33 of "Sundown" is ESSENCE.

Please feel free to post your Western Stars ESSENCE suggestions. 

And yes, I am strongly contemplating inducting "Moonlight Motel" as a full song inductee. 

Beware of premature ejac... exhaultation, @Paolo's Circus Story

Your joy at new material may be colouyring your judgement.

Perhaps "Essence" needs a disclaimer that it can't be bestowed earlier than 6th months?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey, @Paolo's Circus Story - I'm late to the party with this one, and in truth it may need it's own thread, but wrap your ears around this:

There's some spine tingling stuff, and a brilliant reminder that this was a 24 year old, singing his heart out, with everything to lose... and is perhaps why, sentiment aside, this is 4:46 of the greatest rock and roll of our time.

Highlights:

0:41   Oooohhhhhhhhh

1:50   Oh can you show me?

1:55    De Hook Da! Voom! Noh!*

3:32    The tear in his voice as he starts to goes Woh-ooh!

*you may chose to hear alternate words here ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mightn't bother with the massive list anymore, but aye, all of your suggestions can be deemed as ESSENCE. 

I'm bumping this because I'm just finishing "Moonlight Motel" from the live album, and there's an orchestral instrumental at 3:46 of the below video that's just stopped me in my tracks. 

Oh, and while I'm here, the way he sings "I know every crack in the dirty sidewalks of Broadway“ in "Rhinestone Cowboy" is ESSENCE as well. Perhaps the finest example of ESSENCE in the full fifty-seven minutes. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Also with "a sign says children be careful how you play", because he definitely sings "pray" on the studio. 

I’ve been singing ‘play’ on the studio the entire time.  Will pay closer attention next time... 

• Like 2