Greasy Lake Community

The Bootleg Collectors Corner

2 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Well, it's a fair point - some of my comments are addressing private messages from posters, asking for the negativity in this thread to be tamped down.  Several posts that were deleted were full of demands/instructions and threats to "take my ball and go home" and other attitudes that don't reflect well on our community here.

So perhaps I am addressing some issues that many haven't seen.

I understand the frustration about generosity and gratitude (or lack of it) and I had an 8:1 share ratio at Jungleland, remember ABMS and the newsgroups and mailed 1000's of CD's to people for blanks and postage costs.  And yes, there were many times where I wondered why the simple "Thank you" email was never received.

Interestingly (or not) I haven't been to JL in a couple of years, simply because I got tired of the drama you mention.

That's the drama we want to avoid here........simply that - no more less

Another interesting twist to this topic - some of the one's that complain they aren't receiving enough love, are also being unkind to the Mod team with some very ugly PM's and personal comments, even when they have no idea of the facts.  A little gratitude to the people who keep this website running (see BTX) on their part might go a long way......but instead they want to complain about how we have chosen to keep this website running, for now over 20 years.  They demand respect but offer none to the people who make this place possible

Very interesting.

We may have even traded in the day, when that was a thing!! :rolleyes:

It's my take that those who share, upload etc don't have egos and aren't looking for some mythical status. They don't do it for any honour. A simple 'thanks' makes it all worthwhile.

So, remember you manners people!!

Oh, and drama can be good....it makes for a good read :D:D unless you're one of those 00's people who don't like anything not positive!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bosstrade01 said:

Very interesting.

We may have even traded in the day, when that was a thing!! :rolleyes:

It's my take that those who share, upload etc don't have egos and aren't looking for some mythical status. They don't do it for any honour. A simple 'thanks' makes it all worthwhile.

So, remember you manners people!!

Oh, and drama can be good....it makes for a good read :D:D unless you're one of those 00's people who don't like anything not positive!!!

I am almost positive we did - I ran into an old friend I "tape traded" with back when sending cassettes through the mail was the only way to get music.  Ah the good old days of "only Memorex, how often do you clean your tape heads, do you use a Q-tip and alcohol, do you mail in a box or an envelope?"  

Honestly, I dont think anyone here is "wrong" as both arguments have some merit.  I have tried to help newbies see some appreciation goes a long way, while also helping the veterans remember their enthusiasm when they found these mysterious shows they had heard about but never listened to.  Searching for boots brought me to Greasy Lake in 1999 or so and I have made life long friends from this little corner of the internet.

Seems to me, both sides can make a small adjustment and folks can be happy.  A complaining spirit only makes the complainer miserable.  But demands and arbitrary rule making runs people off just the same.  Somewhere in the middle is where we try to land here, we don't always get it right but we try

• Like 2

Hello all,

This will most likely be my final post here, since I'm probably going to alienate everyone, but I think it needs to be said.

@sunshine2020 is responsible for the negative trend here. For some reason, she believes that she is owed something because she shares from her "glorious collection," as she has called it. 

@mickb, @Twink, @Born To Rock, @chevy396 and other folks who I may have missed (I am sorry) have shared comparable shows, if not more than her, without all the drama, bullying, and other assorted nonsense. It was her bullying of newer members that finally pushed me to speak out, which may have been the small stones that started this avalanche.

When I first came here last spring, I made the classic mistake--I asked for about 15 shows. Guess what happened. Someone kindly said something like, "Hello, welcome. That's quite a list, pick one or two." And that's what I did. I said from the beginning, I wanted to build my collection not only so I have the shows, but so that I can help share with the community. While I haven't shared nearly as much as other, I've been able to help as best as I could. Had I joined and started in January 2021, I would have been belittled and bullied for even asking for a show. Not by the community, but by @sunshine2020.

In her self-appointed role as disciplinarian here, I alone was disciplined for not searching for shows, using capital letters, posting shows when a new person requested, among other things. For almost a year, I never searched for a show before requesting. I should have been, but I was unaware of it. Did @mickb or @Twink or others bully me about it? No, in fact, they didn't even mention it. They just humbly fulfilled my request. Then @sunshine2020 became a regular poster here and the "rules" started. That's not to say that some general request guidelines aren't necessary, but the bullying and rudeness are unnecessary.

I understand the frustrations that big sharers must feel after the countless hours of work uploading shows and not even getting a thank you. But sharing, in any capacity, if oftentimes thankless. Should people be more thankful for the generosity shown here? Absolutely. But just as in life, there are people that are not going to express thanks for generosity.

And to @sunshine2020--If you think that I am picking on you or bullying you, that is not my intention. I am merely pointing our your behavior and the consequences thereof. I don't need an argument or private message filled with anger, so please don't waste your time or mine. You have been very generous to the people here with your collection, but the price that it came with was too high. Your collection is no better than anyone else's, just as you are no better than anyone here. I suggest you take a look at how your actions have affected things here before pointing the fingers elsewhere.

With that, I will say goodbye. But before I go, would some please post 1981-09-08 San Diego, CA as my last request??? It's literally the only show that I am missing and I doubt that I'll be making it to when our great friend @Twink gets there on her River Tour.

Take care, all.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, thundercrack83 said:

Hello all,

This will most likely be my final post here, since I'm probably going to alienate everyone, but I think it needs to be said.

@sunshine2020 is responsible for the negative trend here. For some reason, she believes that she is owed something because she shares from her "glorious collection," as she has called it. 

@mickb, @Twink, @Born To Rock, @chevy396 and other folks who I may have missed (I am sorry) have shared comparable shows, if not more than her, without all the drama, bullying, and other assorted nonsense. It was her bullying of newer members that finally pushed me to speak out, which may have been the small stones that started this avalanche.

When I first came here last spring, I made the classic mistake--I asked for about 15 shows. Guess what happened. Someone kindly said something like, "Hello, welcome. That's quite a list, pick one or two." And that's what I did. I said from the beginning, I wanted to build my collection not only so I have the shows, but so that I can help share with the community. While I haven't shared nearly as much as other, I've been able to help as best as I could. Had I joined and started in January 2021, I would have been belittled and bullied for even asking for a show. Not by the community, but by @sunshine2020.

In her self-appointed role as disciplinarian here, I alone was disciplined for not searching for shows, using capital letters, posting shows when a new person shared, among other things. For almost a year, I never searched for a show before requesting. I should have been, but I was unaware of it. Did @mickb or @Twink or others bully me about it? No, in fact, they didn't even mention it. They just humbly fulfilled my request. Then @sunshine2020 became a regular poster here and the "rules" started. That's not to say that some general request guidelines aren't necessary, but the bullying and rudeness are unnecessary.

I understand the frustrations that big sharers must feel after the countless hours of work uploading shows and not even getting a thank you. But sharing, in any capacity, if oftentimes thankless. Should people be more thankful for the generosity shown here? Absolutely. But just as in life, there are people that are not going to express thanks for generosity.

And to @sunshine2020--If you think that I am picking on you or bullying you, that is not my intention. I am merely pointing our your behavior and the consequences thereof. I don't need an argument or private message filled with anger, so please don't waster your time or mine. You have been very generous to the people here with your collection, but the price that it came with was too high. Your collection is no better than anyone else's, just as you are no better than anyone here. I suggest you take a look at how your actions have affected things here before pointing the fingers elsewhere.

With that, I will say goodbye. But before I go, would some please post 1981-09-08 San Diego, CA as my last request??? It's literally the only show that I am missing and I doubt that I'll be making it to when a great friend @Twink gets there on her River Tour.

Take care, all.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I have never ignored someone's thoughts.

However, what was happening was a nearly constant drip of complaints from a few who wanted to create a policy for this board.  We won't make such a policy, if that spoils your joy of sharing (not enough gratitude from others) I totally understand.  If you don't wish to share, feel free not to - no one forces you to do anything.

If someone leaves over that, I can't help that they aren't getting the "honor" they feel they deserve. 

One other thing to consider - not many have learned how to post uploads, so they are challenged by their lack of understanding of the process.  Yes, they could learn just like you and I did, but must they comply with someone else's demands to do so?   Others might just download a show or two they want, and never come back by this thread for many weeks, not everyone makes a daily effort to find a bootlegged recording they would like to have

My posts seem to keep disappearing, why is that?

13 minutes ago, thundercrack83 said:

But before I go, would some please post 1981-09-08 San Diego, CA as my last request??

:D That made me chortle.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Estreet_19 said:

My posts seem to keep disappearing, why is that?

Dunno, I see the last 3 - and replied to 2 of them - sometimes clearing cookies will refresh the page on your browser and you will see more replies.....but that's only a guess.

11 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Dunno, I see the last 3 - and replied to 2 of them - sometimes clearing cookies will refresh the page on your browser and you will see more replies.....but that's only a guess.

Strange - they all seem to be there now.

Thank You

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thundercrack83 said:

Hello all,

In her self-appointed role as disciplinarian here, I alone was disciplined for not searching for shows, using capital letters, posting shows when a new person requested, among other things. For almost a year, I never searched for a show before requesting. I should have been, but I was unaware of it. Did @mickb or @Twink or others bully me about it? No, in fact, they didn't even mention it. They just humbly fulfilled my request. Then @sunshine2020 became a regular poster here and the "rules" started. That's not to say that some general request guidelines aren't necessary, but the bullying and rudeness are unnecessary.

And to @sunshine2020--If you think that I am picking on you or bullying you, that is not my intention. I am merely pointing our your behavior and the consequences thereof. I don't need an argument or private message filled with anger, so please don't waste your time or mine. You have been very generous to the people here with your collection, but the price that it came with was too high. Your collection is no better than anyone else's, just as you are no better than anyone here. I suggest you take a look at how your actions have affected things here before pointing the fingers elsewhere.

With that, I will say goodbye. But before I go, would some please post 1981-09-08 San Diego, CA as my last request??? It's literally the only show that I am missing and I doubt that I'll be making it to when our great friend @Twink gets there on her River Tour.

Take care, all.

This is an interesting take, and has been mentioned before, we are all entitled to our opinions.  How many of your shows did you get from @sunshine2020, @mickb @Born To Rock @chevy396 @Twink and others? I seem to recall many requests from you filled by @sunshine2020 and the others.  I hope that you enjoy them as these sharers most likely have gone off to greener pastures (or will soon), with their "magnificent collections" never to be seen here again.  I don't know about you, or what you may or may not have received here, but I know that I have benefitted greatly by being here.  Now the pieces that will be left will undoubtedly be less due to these people not being here to share in both quality and quantity (as mentioned before).

By the way you are using the term bullying in a very casual way, this is in no way bullying, and you should probably rethink your use of this term. (just my opinion).  Trying to make the place easier for others to share and find things after you have long been gone, does not rise to the level of bullying.  I started here on February 1, and have not gone through this level of grief, yes I asked for A LOT of shows, yes I shared wrong and incomplete things, yes I got dates wrong, and yes, I even did not search for shows that were already posted.  And you know what?  I actually survived and (gasp) actually learned through the process, I did not rant about someone putting too many obstacles in front of me in order to get FREE shows.  And I also learned how to take it all in with a level of humility and humor, not arrogance.

I trust that you will be removing all the shares you received from @sunshine2020 and the others since they were just so rude to you and bullied (your word) into submission just to be able to freely download shows.

I on the other hand will keep looking for quality shows, and as I said before, I fear this will not be the place to do that for much longer.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3

So to sum up today....

Thundercrack feels bullied by Sunshine (but still makes requests :blink:)

CmonMrTrouble wants folks to behave

Estreet_19 keeps losing his posts

This is The Way is feeling a little sad :(

Its like watching an episode of 'Soap'  ffs

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bosstrade01 said:

So to sum up today....

to be fair, I did not lose my posts for long, I found them wandering around, I have now put them on a leash, so I don't lose them again :) 

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, bosstrade01 said:

So to sum up today....

E Street Nation can't keep up :P

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bosstrade01 said:

So to sum up today....

and sadly there is no one left to read these posts....................... please move along

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, This is The Way said:

and sadly there is no one left to read these posts....................... please move along

Yup, one of the busiest threads on the board = no one apparently

3 minutes ago, E Street nation said:

Out of interest.... is there a way to see if a reported post has been acknowledged and reviewed etc... just curios

@CmonMrTrouble

For members, no - when a post is reported, each member of the Admin/Mod team gets a notification and whoever might be here or can get to it first usually makes a "snap call" about it and we discuss the more complicated things in our own forum, off the regular board

If anyone ever has a question, feel free to PM any of us

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

For members, no - when a post is reported, each member of the Admin/Mod team gets a notification and whoever might be here or can get to it first usually makes a "snap call" about it and we discuss the more complicated things in our own forum, off the regular board

If anyone ever has a question, feel free to PM any of us

Thanks for the quick response :)

59 minutes ago, Estreet_19 said:

This is an interesting take, and has been mentioned before, we are all entitled to our opinions.  How many of your shows did you get from @sunshine2020, @mickb @Born To Rock @chevy396 @Twink and others? I seem to recall many requests from you filled by @sunshine2020 and the others.  I hope that you enjoy them as these sharers most likely have gone off to greener pastures (or will soon), with their "magnificent collections" never to be seen here again.  I don't know about you, or what you may or may not have received here, but I know that I have benefitted greatly by being here.  Now the pieces that will be left will undoubtedly be less due to these people not being here to share in both quality and quantity (as mentioned before).

By the way you are using the term bullying in a very casual way, this is in no way bullying, and you should probably rethink your use of this term. (just my opinion).  Trying to make the place easier for others to share and find things after you have long been gone, does not rise to the level of bullying.  I started here on February 1, and have not gone through this level of grief, yes I asked for A LOT of shows, yes I shared wrong and incomplete things, yes I got dates wrong, and yes, I even did not search for shows that were already posted.  And you know what?  I actually survived and (gasp) actually learned through the process, I did not rant about someone putting too many obstacles in front of me in order to get FREE shows.  And I also learned how to take it all in with a level of humility and humor, not arrogance.

I trust that you will be removing all the shares you received from @sunshine2020 and the others since they were just so rude to you and bullied (your word) into submission just to be able to freely download shows.

I on the other hand will keep looking for quality shows, and as I said before, I fear this will not be the place to do that for much longer.

My issue was with no one other than @sunshine2020. When I mentioned the others, it was to point out those who I feel have been equally, if not more generous than her, and did so without the power trips and sense of self-importance.

And no, I was not being flippant when I used the word "bullying," because that is what it resembles. As far as my own personal experiences with it, I wasn't being thin-skinned or "putting forth a list of specific grievances for wrongdoings against me," I was giving an example. But, if you want to think I'm thin-skinned or can't take a joke, or am arrogant, I can't change that.

As far as my request, that was a joke.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thundercrack83 said:

My issue was with no one other than @sunshine2020. When I mentioned the others, it was to point out those who I feel have been equally, if not more generous than her, and did so without the power trips and sense of self-importance.

And no, I was not being flippant when I used the word "bullying," because that is what it resembles. As far as my own personal experiences with it, I wasn't being thin-skinned or "putting forth a list of specific grievances for wrongdoings against me," I was giving an example. But, if you want to think I'm thin-skinned or can't take a joke, or am arrogant, I can't change that.

As far as my request, that was a joke.

I didn't say anything about you request, obvious joke (at least to me)  so this is really just personal against @sunshine2020 then, perhaps airing it on a public space instead of leaving it to a private matter was not the best course of action (again, my opinion).  so what was the point of your post other than to air a list of grievances against one poster?  If this is not you being thin-skinned, then it appears the point was juts to call out one poster for asking for a little decorum and manners.  What you fail to realize is if you run off @sunshine2020 you run off all the other posters as well.  Maybe that is your real intention, to run them all off so you and your friends can feel like heroes on the other spaces you frequent, now we are really getting into the bullying area, aren't we?

Don't feel the need to respond. 

• Like 1

And we will end this argument here please

If Sunshine or others are "run off" that is their decision - as for other places, I really don't care what other people do on other places on the internet, only here.  If someone wants help setting up their own forum, I will be happy to help direct them to a place where they can set up their own place, do as they please, exclude whomever they wish and post about whoever they want.

BTW - The complaints we heard were about more than one person and came from more than one person, so we are addressing it now. 

Jeeeeez!!! Enough already.  Could everyone please pick up their toys and put them back in the pram and get back to the serious, friendly, polite and mannerly (including altruistic) business of sharing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1