Greasy Lake Community

Could this be why there hasn't been a Rising show released in the archive series?

From Backstreets:

It seems all extant multi-track recordings of the Rising tour were made on an early, high-resolution DSD (Direct Stream Digital) system. Fifteen years on, there are major technical challenges in accessing the master recordings on the original platform. There is an ongoing effort to restore and extract the multi-track files, but to date, no complete show is available to mix for release. We hope those efforts are successful soon. 
- June 1, 2018

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

From Backstreets:

This is discussed in the MSG 2009 thread and in that topic is also revealed why there will be no live DVD in the upcoming Born In The U.S.A. boxset.:o:o:o

Shocking news I tell you!:D:D:D

9 minutes ago, Lampi said:

This is discussed in the MSG 2009 thread and in that topic is also revealed why there will be no live DVD in the upcoming Born In The U.S.A. boxset.:o:o:o

It's going to be the DVD of the October 9th 2009 show from Giants Stadium.

A show I genuinely wouldn't mind being released in any form.

38 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Crap ... i missed the "no live BITUSA DVD" part of the discussion .... I will consider myself lucky that arguably my 3 favorite shows ( that i attended anyway ) have all been released ....

15 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Crap ... i missed the "no live BITUSA DVD" part of the discussion .... I will consider myself lucky that arguably my 3 favorite shows ( that i attended anyway ) have all been released ....

I missed that too.  Anyone want to give us the specifics? 

It seems odd, seeing how most of us have had a cracking Paris '85 on pro shot DVD for many years.

18 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I missed that too.  Anyone want to give us the specifics? 

It seems odd, seeing how most of us have had a cracking Paris '85 on pro shot DVD for many years.

Capture.JPG

Obviously this is only Backstreets' attempt at explaining their understanding of the problem, it isn't an official explanation.

That said, its good enough to confirm that there is an issue with the Rising shows and they're not just withholding Wembley 2002 to piss @J off!

Isn’t there a Barcelona dvd ripe for exploitation?  With minimal effort too.

I know the sounds not that great on that either , well not an my system it isn’t, but I am sure someone could do something about it at somepoint or do we have to wait for the rising box in 2040? 

Seems weird that his rebirth (in my eyes) as an artist is being ignored when other areas get multiple releases. 

12 minutes ago, -Sussudio- said:

.how the heck can they manage to get files or whatever for the Reunion tour but not The Rising? 

Maybe recorded on good old fashioned, reliable tape instead of new fangled, seemingly unreliable, digital contraptions.

10 minutes ago, -Sussudio- said:

I'm not technically minded so maybe it's a dumb question but...how the heck can they manage to get files or whatever for the Reunion tour but not The Rising? 

Different recording systems. It was said that The Rising tour was recorded with a then new system. It would appear that it wasn't as reliable as was thought at the time. The Reunion may have been analog tape or current digital tape but I would think not hard drive recording at that time. What seems the new thing at the time may turn out to be the yesterdays mistake.

If the backstreets.com explanation is true...

Then it seems like good irony (or poetic justice?) that an artist such as Springsteen who has spent his career (except maybe 1992-93) avoiding the glam aspects of modern show biz--in favor of old-school no-frills rock and roll shows--has now managed to lock himself out of an entire tour's worth of recordings which were recorded on digital technology.

Maybe the digital gods are giving payback for his decision to release 1987-1996 strictly on vinyl? :lol:

Bruce Springsteen is a major music biz artist and it should go without saying that his body of work should be archived with great diligence for both artistic and commercial reasons. In a perfect world. But for Bruce, and other artists it doesn't always work out that way. You'd think they'd have a professional crew to take care of such things.

But I'll tell you what, if they turned it over to a qualified, dedicated fan, like maybe someone who posts at a fan site things would be backed up and saved. Sometimes the professional organization overlooks things that a real fan (music nerd) would obsess about. And it's clear that Bruce is not the archivist that Neil Young is. That guy looks after his stuff.

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

If the backstreets.com explanation is true...

Then it seems like good irony (or poetic justice?) that an artist such as Springsteen who has spent his career (except maybe 1992-93) avoiding the glam aspects of modern show biz--in favor of old-school no-frills rock and roll shows--has now managed to lock himself out of an entire tour's worth of recordings which were recorded on digital technology.

Maybe the digital gods are giving payback for his decision to release 1987-1996 strictly on vinyl? :lol:

2 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Bruce Springsteen is a major music biz artist and it should go without saying that his body of work should be archived with great diligence for both artistic and commercial reasons. In a perfect world. But for Bruce, and other artists it doesn't always work out that way. You'd think they'd have a professional crew to take care of such things.

But I'll tell you what, if they turned it over to a qualified, dedicated fan, like maybe someone who posts at a fan site things would be backed up and saved. Sometimes the professional organization overlooks things that a real fan (music nerd) would obsess about. And it's clear that Bruce is not the archivist that Neil Young is. That guy looks after his stuff.

In either the MSG 2009 thread or the general Next Archive thread, there is also a screenshot of a Twitter exchange with Nugs asking whether the WIESS show from 2009 was scheduled for release. The response was no, as they can't retrieve the harddrive for that show (or something to that effect). Where I had always assumed everything in the modern era was both recorded and archived so it wouldbe readily availabke for use in need, appears this is not the case....

12 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Different recording systems. It was said that The Rising tour was recorded with a then new system. It would appear that it wasn't as reliable as was thought at the time. The Reunion may have been analog tape or current digital tape but I would think not hard drive recording at that time. What seems the new thing at the time may turn out to be the yesterdays mistake.

Also, we've only had one release from 2000 for the Reunion and we know the NYC dates were professionally recorded anyway. Until we see something from 1999 we do have no idea how they were recorded.

I'm curious about this. I didn't go any farther than wikipediapand it's only wikipedia, but according to that article "Sony developed DSD for SACD, and many disk players support SACD. Since the format is digital, there are other ways to play back a DSD stream; the development of these alternatives has enabled companies to offer high-quality music downloads in DSD."

It's just curious that there isn't a method or a company that can extract an old digital format?

I'm sure a solution will be found in due course. I also wonder if there has been some misinterpretation somewhere along the line regarding the 7 November 2009 show and the talk of not being able to retrieve it was actually referring to the Rising shows (not being on twitter I can't see the full conversation) 

38 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I say that they release the shows from The Rising tour exclusively on those downloadable wristband things that they've got stored in Vault Springsteen.

Wristband, my man, you got to have a wristband
And if you don't have a wristband, my man, you don't get through the door

Archived