Greasy Lake Community

Could this be why there hasn't been a Rising show released in the archive series?

32 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Wristband, my man, you got to have a wristband
And if you don't have a wristband, my man, you don't get through the door

Love that song!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm curious about this. I didn't go any farther than wikipediapand it's only wikipedia, but according to that article "Sony developed DSD for SACD, and many disk players support SACD. Since the format is digital, there are other ways to play back a DSD stream; the development of these alternatives has enabled companies to offer high-quality music downloads in DSD."

It's just curious that there isn't a method or a company that can extract an old digital format?

Maybe Bruce and Co. can’t afford the proper player for these recordings. 

Now this unofficial explanation is in the public domain, I think it would be a good idea for Nugs to give a definitive, but understandable, explanation of what the problem is and where they're at in trying to resolve it.

Over to you Brad!

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Wristband, my man, you got to have a wristband
And if you don't have a wristband, my man, you don't get through the door

Better that the new Graceland 'mixes'.

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Better that the new Graceland 'mixes'.

Erm, a million billion times better. Not as good as So Beautiful but pretty damn good none the less.

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

It's just curious that there isn't a method or a company that can extract an old digital format?

Exactly; I can't believe there isn't a way to get them. There's got to be some old equipment around somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm curious about this. I didn't go any farther than wikipediapand it's only wikipedia, but according to that article "Sony developed DSD for SACD, and many disk players support SACD. Since the format is digital, there are other ways to play back a DSD stream; the development of these alternatives has enabled companies to offer high-quality music downloads in DSD."

Sony blu ray players that you can buy in store today still play sacd’s ,   Not sure if that’s at all relevant to this but it is an actual fact!  

2 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Sony blu ray players that you can buy in store today still play sacd’s ,   Not sure if that’s at all relevant to this but it is an actual fact!  

Are you guys thinking that The Rising tour is on discs that can be played on a blu ray player? My impression was DSD was a hard drive recording system. So the problem would be accessing the hard drives, which might be a unique and outdated format. I'm just guessing here from the little information we have.

2 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

My impression was DSD was a hard drive recording system. So the problem would be accessing the hard drives, which might be a unique and outdated format. I'm just guessing here from the little information we have.

My interpretation too.

If there was a simple solution they would have solved it by now.

11 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

This article doesn't talk about it (couldn't find the one I saw a while ago that did) but many of the people who work there are are converting old photographs, movies, etc to digital formats.  I'm pretty sure that whey could do it.

And the Winterland DVD might be there.

14 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I dunt thing they're on discs as in compact discs or that tour of media. I think they're on hard drive discs.

If they only have a single copy of a show from any tour without backup copies that is just not that bright.  Sure, you couldn't back stuff up to the cloud until very recently, but you could back up to other hard drives, tape, DVD, etc.

The archive series has been ongoing since 2014, we're only learning about this now, so I wonder if they've been trying to fix this issue since 2014, or if it's something they've realised only recently. 

I'm far from an expert on this particular technical matter, but if they've been trying to no avail since 2014 I'd imagine we'll never get a Rising release, and at the same time, if they've been working on this since then, why have they waited four years to inform their audience of it? 

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The archive series has been ongoing since 2014, we're only learning about this now, so I wonder if they've been trying to fix this issue since 2014, or if it's something they've realised only recently. 

I'm far from an expert on this particular technical matter, but if they've been trying to no avail since 2014 I'd imagine we'll never get a Rising release, and at the same time, if they've been working on this since then, why have they waited four years to inform their audience of it? 

It is possible that they checked the disks back in 2014 and they were still OK, and then later when they decided they wanted to release a Rising show they found they had died.

If these are just normal platter drives they need to put one in a ziplock bag, put it in a freezer for about an hour, then hook it up and try to read it.

3 hours ago, Kooly said:

I'm sure that some pimply-faced kid that works at The Geek Squad at Best Buy could solve  this particular hard-drive problem in about an hour. :P

And even scarier, the Rising Tour may be older than that kid. :wacko:

Archived