Paolo's Circus Story

A Definitive Guide to Springsteen's Archive Series

You could consider expanding with a couple of note worthy shows from the tours that released most every show. I can imagine a few pointers there could help new fans to the Archives. I imagine you have enough of those regular releases to fill a post with some excellent tips.

• Like 1

Paolo your efforts are outstanding, and I look forward to your future work. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I totally forgot about that Spectrum show btw, it appears I skipped that one.

I rated it somewhat poorly, but even with that I don't think it's bad show, I'd say it suffered massively courtesy of the timing of when Nugs released it. It was really bad as the three releases prior were from 2009, 2008 and 2012, so it was received with a lot of frustration about where the 70s and 80s shows were, and given how it was released before the First Friday announcement, there was that added frustration from many about when the next show would even be coming. 

If I remember rightly I'm sure Bruce and Nugs even tweeted "this is the last modern show for a while as we're going to dig deep into the Archives", which made it appear they were fully aware that this was going to get lambasted by a majority.

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

PART 1: Covers releases from 1975 - 1984.

PART 2: Covers releases from 1988 - 2000.

PART 3: Covers releases from 2005 - 2008.

It's just struck me that not every touring year has been released yet, so I'm going to have some thinking to do about in which guide releases from 2002/03 will go. 

Nice reviews. Felt you were a little generous to the Rome show and maybe a note on sound quality could have been added, as that one was particularly poor. Good starting points for debates though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Nice reviews. Felt you were a little generous to the Rome show and maybe a note on sound quality could have been added, as that one was particularly poor. Good starting points for debates though.

I didn't think the sound quality on the Rome show was particularly bad. It's very listenable. 

Its downside is that there's better shows from 2012/13 yet to be released. I feel that in time when there's more of them available there'll be less 'resentment' towards that show. 

Quick question: 

When you've listened to the Archive releases, has a particular song performance stood out massively on one release for you, while there's a complete contrast with (pretty much) the same performance on another?

For example, "Born to Run" on the LA '88 release is, for me, the highlight of the entire show. Words can't do it justice. Whereas on the Stockholm '88 show, the performance of the song feels more of a hidden gem.

Anyone had a similar thought in the past?

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I didn't think the sound quality on the Rome show was particularly bad. It's very listenable. 

Its downside is that there's better shows from 2012/13 yet to be released. I feel that in time when there's more of them available there'll be less 'resentment' towards that show. 

Rome was the show that was withdrawn and remixed due to the public outcry, although I felt the remix wasn't much better. I sold my copy so I'm going by memory but I recall it isn't anywhere near as good sound quality wise as the Helsinki show, although I could be mistaken. I just felt it was a 'poor' show overall; hardly anything from the new album, set list all over the place which meant a lack of focus in some of the performances; second encores from hell. Maybe it suffered from the fact that people were hoping it would sound like the Clearmountain mix of New York City Serenade, which it clearly didn't...I don't know; this one just left me cold. Even archive shows I don't like overall usually have two or three performances I love, but the closest this got was Stand On It, and even that was extended to a ridiculous length.

17 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's just struck me that not every touring year has been released yet, so I'm going to have some thinking to do about in which guide releases from 2002/03 will go. 

And if, please oh please, he releases stuff from pre-1975? Part O? Part 2.5? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Rome was the show that was withdrawn and remixed due to the public outcry, although I felt the remix wasn't much better. I sold my copy so I'm going by memory but I recall it isn't anywhere near as good sound quality wise as the Helsinki show, although I could be mistaken. I just felt it was a 'poor' show overall; hardly anything from the new album, set list all over the place which meant a lack of focus in some of the performances; second encores from hell. Maybe it suffered from the fact that people were hoping it would sound like the Clearmountain mix of New York City Serenade, which it clearly didn't...I don't know; this one just left me cold. Even archive shows I don't like overall usually have two or three performances I love, but the closest this got was Stand On It, and even that was extended to a ridiculous length.

I didn't know about the remix because of public outcry. Honestly that gives me a little bit of hope about some of the 2014 shows being bettered in the future - there's definitely no rush there though.
Nah, it's got nothing on Helsinki, which sounds mint. The sound quality of the releases have been getting better and better since the release of that show in May 2017. 

It certainly doesn't look poor when you see the setlist written down. But I know what you mean, there's something about it that seems 'off'. I keep staring at the set to see if I can work out what it is, but I just don't know. 

I'd like to think there'll be a day though when this release 'clicks' with the majority. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

And if, please oh please, he releases stuff from pre-1975? Part O? Part 2.5? 

A Guide to Springsteen's Archive Series: The Beginning

In all seriousness though, they'll be going into the Part 1 guide. I'd love to get a '73/'74 show at some point in stunning audio quality. Hell, I wouldn't mind another '75 show now just so I know they've got more of them. 

We haven't had a '75 show released since February 2015. 

32 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I didn't know about the remix because of public outcry. Honestly that gives me a little bit of hope about some of the 2014 shows being bettered in the future - there's definitely no rush there though.
Nah, it's got nothing on Helsinki, which sounds mint. The sound quality of the releases have been getting better and better since the release of that show in May 2017. 

It certainly doesn't look poor when you see the setlist written down. But I know what you mean, there's something about it that seems 'off'. I keep staring at the set to see if I can work out what it is, but I just don't know. 

I'd like to think there'll be a day though when this release 'clicks' with the majority. 

Yes, as far as I know, it remains the only Archive release so far that has been recalled after release, and reissued.  I could be wrong, but I also think it was this release that was the final nail in Toby Scott's coffin.

8 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Yes, as far as I know, it remains the only Archive release so far that has been recalled after release, and reissued.  I could be wrong, but I also think it was this release that was the final nail in Toby Scott's coffin.

I've just had a look to see what other releases Toby Scott worked on, noticed the Agora '78 was one of them, so yeah, it's probably for the best they took their business elsewhere. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've just had a look to see what other releases Toby Scott worked on, noticed the Agora '78 was one of them, so yeah, it's probably for the best they took their business elsewhere. 

I think he was doing them all, except ones already done by Clearmountain (Apollo 2012) , up until Rome.

• Like 1

I have no doubt Toby Scott has better ears than 99.999% of the population, and is probably a great guy, to boot. But the difference between his mixes and Jon Altschiller's, never mind Bob Clearmountain's, illustrates how insanely difficult it is to mix well, especially when there are as many instrumentalists and vocalists as there are on Rome. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

I think he was doing them all, except ones already done by Clearmountain (Apollo 2012) , up until Rome.

Appears he was also helping out on some of the early 2016 shows as well. The only one of those I can remember not sounding great was the 1st show from Pittsburgh. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

I have no doubt Toby Scott has better ears than 99.999% of the population, and is probably a great guy, to boot. But the difference between his mixes and Jon Altschiller's, never mind Bob Clearmountain's, illustrates how insanely difficult it is to mix well, especially when there are as many instrumentalists and vocalists as there are on Rome. 

This is a really good point, and perhaps one many of us should remember when hoping for specific shows, or when we're wondering how many shows are available at a particular point in time. It clearly takes a while to perfect. 

21 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I assume for now you've divided them in a way that largely gives equal numbers of shows in each group. That could change as time goes on and more shows are released. You may end up rethinking your year breaks altogether in the future. Or dividing into "E street Classic", "E Street Reunion And After" and "Other" (other bands and acoustic) or similar which may even be a more useful distinction for people who are that new to the Bruce catalogue they are not sure what year a particular type of show is. E.g. a newbie wanting to know about the best post reunion E Street shows knows immediately which guide to read

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I assume for now you've divided them in a way that largely gives equal numbers of shows in each group. That could change as time goes on and more shows are released. You may end up rethinking your year breaks altogether in the future. Or dividing into "E street Classic", "E Street Reunion And After" and "Other" (other bands and acoustic) or similar which may even be a more useful distinction for people who are that new to the Bruce catalogue they are not sure what year a particular type of show is. E.g. a newbie wanting to know about the best post reunion E Street shows knows immediately which guide to read

Yeah at the minute it's a case of:

Part 1: 9 shows
Part 2: 7 shows
Part 3: 5 shows
Part 4: 6 shows

A part of me feels it might have been better to do the write ups in chronological order of when the shows were released, but at the same time I think year specific is a lot more useful for helping people find particular eras.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

I think it just takes time and also Helsinki 2012 kind of negates your argument; same tour, same band, much better sound quality. I would rather have a slower release schedule and better sound quality, although they seem to have been of a consistently excellent standard for awhile now. Toby was also releasing these when they weren't committed to one a month.

16 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I think it just takes time and also Helsinki 2012 kind of negates your argument; same tour, same band, much better sound quality. I would rather have a slower release schedule and better sound quality, although they seem to have been of a consistently excellent standard for awhile now. Toby was also releasing these when they weren't committed to one a month.

I'm confused. I said Jon Altschiller was a better mixer than Toby Scott. Jon Altschiller mixed Helsinki. But it's a better mix than another Altschiller show and that negates my argument?