Greasy Lake Community

A Definitive Guide to Springsteen's Archive Series

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PART 4 LINK: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/07/04/a-guide-to-springsteens-archive-series-part-4/ Hello.  This is the last of four threads on my Guide to the Archive Series, where

I said I would write down some of my memories when I had a chance. Here we go: Looking back on it now, I have so many incredible memories of the end of January and the 1st of February 2014. I hav

Paolo your efforts are outstanding, and I look forward to your future work. 

Posted Images

Small point of order... you've included Backstreets as an example of C's powerful sax playing, perhaps you meant a different BTR album song?

Otherwise, entertaining as always. I always ranked this show below The River MSG ( purely personal taste material wise, Greetings being my least favourite 'classic era' album) but you've inspired me to go relisten now.

I agree on The Angel... remarkably enjoyable (although in your review, the wording suggests Roy played piano on the studio original). And, yes, concur on Long Walk Home also. The best version. Which is strange, considering they played it every night for two years, that the best version should come once it became an irregular part of the set.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Small point of order... you've included Backstreets as an example of C's powerful sax playing, perhaps you meant a different BTR album song?

Otherwise, entertaining as always. I always ranked this show below The River MSG ( purely personal taste material wise, Greetings being my least favourite 'classic era' album) but you've inspired me to go relisten now.

I agree on The Angel... remarkably enjoyable (although in your review, the wording suggests Roy played piano on the studio original). And, yes, concur on Long Walk Home also. The best version. Which is strange, considering they played it every night for two years, that the best version should come once it became an irregular part of the set.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm clearly losing my mind as I clearly imagined the guitar solo being replaced by a sax instrumental. So much so that I'm still convinced Clarence played prominent sax on the song. I've given it a quick update and switched the song out in favour of another - one that Clarence definitely played hard and heavy sax on... I think :lol:

Hopefully your revisit to the show is a good one, and if you notice any great vocals or instrumentals I might have left out, feel free to let me know. 

I've edited that Roy/"Angel" sentence too to make that clearer, and I'm really hoping it's a Magic Tour show we get in July if not a BITUSA - I know there are other options but these two tours seem most likely for me based on them being released relatively early doors in 2018 and 2019 - as after writing about the prospect of getting a better "Long Walk Home" I feel like I need to hear another great version asap. 

• Like 1

Those of you who enjoy reading these reviews might be interested in knowing that I'll be writing about Belfast '96 next. The current plan is to have it posted after the July release (assuming there is one and it's released on the 3rd), but there's always the chance with me that it could be out before the end of this month. 

If there are changes to that 'scheduling' I'll let you all know :)

• Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 12:50 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Those of you who enjoy reading these reviews might be interested in knowing that I'll be writing about Belfast '96 next. The current plan is to have it posted after the July release (assuming there is one and it's released on the 3rd), but there's always the chance with me that it could be out before the end of this month. 

If there are changes to that 'scheduling' I'll let you all know :)

Sorry, one of 'those' posts from me. 

Just to confirm my review of the Belfast '96 show will be posted a week or so after the July 3rd archive. Hope it's worth the wait!

• Like 1

Thank you very much. 

I'm not sure how to put it, but this month's release could have been chosen because "Streets of Philadelphia" is there? Or?
After all, there is some sort of link between the Covid-19 pandemic and AIDS in the sense that a group of people are affected by a deadly disease.
That was my first thought when I saw that "Streets of Philadelphia" was on the Archive of the Month.

You mention it with Murder Inc.:
..., I think we can look at the release of this song performance from twenty years ago as one instance of Bruce Springsteen making a statement on the injustices in his country in 2020: “In the States we got a whole… part of our population, that lives and dreams are sort of deemed expendable. We got murder incorporated. ”

AIDS and Covid-19 - deadly diseases that affects a group of people the hardest.
Well, that is probably just me - with the best unpolitical intentions. 

Your reviews add so much to these releases, musically and put in time perspective. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
On 6/26/2020 at 7:52 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Next time I'm about to post something like ^, somebody tell me not to

Nope. Sorry, I will not  :-))

Thank you. And I'm so pleased to see that it (Belfast 1996) is a 7,5 now. 
The acoustic Bruce - I need more from 1996-97.
Sydney? Earls Court London? Bring it on ...

• Like 1
On 7/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, jepweb said:

Nope. Sorry, I will not  :-))

Thank you. And I'm so pleased to see that it (Belfast 1996) is a 7,5 now. 
The acoustic Bruce - I need more from 1996-97.
Sydney? Earls Court London? Bring it on ...

Liked this, but didn't respond to it yesterday for some reason. 

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what else we'll get from the Joad Tour this year(?), or whenever. I gave April 24th, '96 a shoutout in my possibilities for the year post below, but that Royal Albert Hall show with "Sell It" and "The Angel" from the 22nd would be cool too.

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/01/01/springsteens-archive-series-the-possibilities-for-2020-and-the-series-top-10-songs-of-2019/

Just skimmed through ^ as well and noticed I mentioned July 9th, 1981 as a contender. I got one right!!!

Might be the wrong thread to ask this, but can anyone confirm the name of the Vietnam Veteran Bruce dedicates the Born in the U.S.A. album performance to in the 20/10/09 Philadelphia show?

I'm hearing Doctor Frack, but I'm not 100% and wouldn't like to make the mistake in my review. 

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Might be the wrong thread to ask this, but can anyone confirm the name of the Vietnam Veteran Bruce dedicates the Born in the U.S.A. album performance to in the 20/10/09 Philadelphia show?

I'm hearing Doctor Frack, but I'm not 100% and wouldn't like to make the mistake in my review. 

Thanks.

^ Anyone? Hahaha.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's a little funny seeing as I've just read posts over there saying the Archive Series has jumped the shark, but I wonder if the project will ever get the credit it deserves for keeping so many fans invested. To the point of (as you say) venturing to Springsteen forums they'd have otherwise never bothered with to get hints or just to see what people are saying. Whether it's a positive or negative reaction to the month's release, reading the Archive Series threads over on BTX is quite enjoyable for the different views etc. 

I guess the same applies with political forums too tbh, especially with the rise of social media allowing for 'whackier' views and all that to be presented as the be all end all. I've spent ages writing this second paragraph because I'm still not sure what's 100% allowed politics wise on here and I don't want to take this thread to places it shouldn't go :lol:

Jumped the shark

Whet spoilt arseholes 

Just remember your friends are here on greasylake

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As I wrote at the very end of the post last night, my plan is to post the review of Apollo 2012 after Archive #57 in early-ish August, and that'll be every Archive release to date done. 

Following that the rest of August will be Film Season and starting in September I'll be reviewing every show of the High Hopes Tour. Really looking forward to it!

• Bruuuuce! 1

Fantastic work you do Paolo! As a fairly new fan I love reading your reviews and other stuff concerning live Bruce. You are great with details and those 'little moments' in songs you describe (being it the vocal or the music). In the past months when I was only reading here I regularly read your reviews while listening to those concerts and learned many things. 

• Thanks 1