Greasy Lake Community

A Definitive Guide to Springsteen's Archive Series

On 5/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks for reading! 

I'm more than happy to continue writing these things and posting them knowing people are reading them and enjoying them - that's what it's all about, to be perfectly honest - and yeah as Nick mentioned earlier in the day the audio quality on these 2014 releases were a work in progress. Some sound ok, some sound poor, none sound stunning ala September 20th, 1978. It's a shame too as in this run-through of the tour I've revisited a bunch of damn good shows that could be daily listening - the second Auckland show is definitely one of them - but they're simply overshadowed by better sounding releases we've gotten from 2015/16 onwards. Who knows, maybe someday they'll be remastered and by then I'll have all these full write-ups out for people to check out if they're struggling to choose, hahaha.

I am also (still) reading these and each and every time it makes me pull out versions you are talking about. I got a real appreciation for 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' from this tour (or the song in general). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fadeaway said:

Excellent writing and review and agree with all aspects. I personally add Dancing in the Dark and Backstreets as highlights for me as well. Great show even if the audio doesn’t match the energy and impact. 

In all honesty it was your shout for me to review this show when I 'opened' it up to you guys to request them that possibly led me to review this entire tour as a whole, so I'm really glad this write-up was ultimately worth your time!

• Thanks 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, BossfanNL said:

I am also (still) reading these and each and every time it makes me pull out versions you are talking about. I got a real appreciation for 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' from this tour (or the song in general). 

I'd been wondering where you were, so it's nice to see you! I'm happy to read you're still reading these things (as always, comments like that keep me motivated) and that they're potentially introducing the versions of songs I really like to others. I really love electric "Joad" and while it admittedly got a little difficult to write about it 30+ times, that certainly wasn't the case where it concerned listening to it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'd been wondering where you were, so it's nice to see you! I'm happy to read you're still reading these things (as always, comments like that keep me motivated) and that they're potentially introducing the versions of songs I really like to others. I really love electric "Joad" and while it admittedly got a little difficult to write about it 30+ times, that certainly wasn't the case where it concerned listening to it! 

Long story short, there was a lot of unpleasantness on another (not Bruce related) forum which took away all the fun I had with being active on forums. I simply stopped. Had nothing to do with anything here and the fact that I'm replying here again is testimony to that. Sometimes it's just hard to deal with keyboard warriors. 

On topic: 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' was never a favorite song of mine, but as a guitar lover (listener) I came to really appreciate the 2014 versions with Morello on guitar. One thing about your writing that I absolutely love and appreciate is the way you can point out certain nuances and small differences in almost any version of any song.  Are you going to do all 2016/17 concerts too like this? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Just for the record :lol: just because im liking this post, it doesn't mean i like a Electric Joad ;)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Long story short, there was a lot of unpleasantness on another (not Bruce related) forum which took away all the fun I had with being active on forums. I simply stopped. Had nothing to do with anything here and the fact that I'm replying here again is testimony to that. Sometimes it's just hard to deal with keyboard warriors. 

On topic: 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' was never a favorite song of mine, but as a guitar lover (listener) I came to really appreciate the 2014 versions with Morello on guitar. One thing about your writing that I absolutely love and appreciate is the way you can point out certain nuances and small differences in almost any version of any song.  Are you going to do all 2016/17 concerts too like this? 

I've been in that position before too, where something annoying leaves you thinking you can't be bothered with the internet anymore. It's good that whatever it was for you didn't keep you away for too long, though!

As for "Joad", until - let's say - 2016 it was only that and "Youngstown" I really cared for from the respective album, and I always preferred the Morello (and Nils) versions. The fact that there's so many of them (albeit in lesser audio) on the Live site is a blessing, especially when there are particular moments that give us different interpretations. 

All I'll say right now regarding the 2016/17 releases is that I'm definitely going to review them (some might say I've already written a couple...) and I will try my best to mention the nuances. I'm worried about running out of words, haha. 

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

Compliments for the review again, interesting read. Albany 2014 is also om YouTube in fulltime, very good filming of this great show. I think the choir is the star of this tour, awsome single.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ferrari said:

Compliments for the review again, interesting read. Albany 2014 is also om YouTube in fulltime, very good filming of this great show. I think the choir is the star of this tour, awsome single.

I mean, singing 

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here's May 17th, 2014. Enjoy!

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/07/30/bruce-springsteen-live-downloads-review-may-17th-2014-uncasville-ct-mohegan-sun-arena/ 

2014_05_17-uncasville-ct.jpg

Next week (assuming there'll be an Archive delay) the High Hopes Tour ends with an E Street Review of May 18th. As this May 17th show is the last you can download from Nugs and Bruce's Live site, that means you can now check out my full reviews of all officially released and available shows from the tour! 

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/category/springsteens-archive-series-in-2014/

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. the show was a great trip between the dark and the light. And while the tank was empty before the end of the night, Roll Of The Dice through Loose Ends was in my Top 5 Bruce evenings.

And ironically i had initially said no to the ticket ....And did a quick 360 on that when i heard Stevie was coming back. A memorable night for sure !!!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Here's the Fenway #2 2012 review for posterity. I've got some special E Street Reviews coming up this month, with the first set to be posted... sometime this week :D There'll be four of them, then we'll get stuck into The River Tour 2016

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/08/08/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-august-15th-2012-boston-ma-fenway-park/ 

20120815-boston-ma.jpeg?w=1370

• Love Love Love! 1

14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Not a show that's been released through the Archive Series, or a show that I think is likely to be. Still, a show that deserves to be talked about. August 15th, 1975. 

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/08/12/retro-e-street-review-august-15th-1975-new-york-ny-the-bottom-line/

19750815-the-bottom-line.png

Great review and timing to post. 
“. . . this night in The Bottom Line is Bruce Springsteen at his most motivated, and his most magical.”  
Affirm and amen.

I share your advocacy to release the video recording. Enhance the film and audio as best you can, offer it at a discounted price acknowledging the technical challenges and shortcomings of the source recording, and dedicate it to the old fans. Simple stuff. Everyone benefits. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, Rumble said:

Great review and timing to post. 
“. . . this night in The Bottom Line is Bruce Springsteen at his most motivated, and his most magical.”  
Affirm and amen.

I share your advocacy to release the video recording. Enhance the film and audio as best you can, offer it at a discounted price acknowledging the technical challenges and shortcomings of the source recording, and dedicate it to the old fans. Simple stuff. Everyone benefits. 

Thanks for your kinds words! 

Yeah if they have anything from this stand, it's too important to be left in the vault. Even if they don't think they'll make money off it and don't want to put loads of time into it, just throw it on YouTube so the diehards can actually see it! 

Still loving the Giants ‘85 and Fenway ‘12 archives. Incredible to have two great releases like that in the space of 3 weeks. In fact, the archive series as a whole has made the 5 years since I’ve last seen Bruce in concert fly by. The prospect of an unknown new concert coming out every month certainly fills the void. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Still loving the Giants ‘85 and Fenway ‘12 archives. Incredible to have two great releases like that in the space of 3 weeks. In fact, the archive series as a whole has made the 5 years since I’ve last seen Bruce in concert fly by. The prospect of an unknown new concert coming out every month certainly fills the void. 

Absolutely spot on mate. I'll admit I didn't listen to Berkeley too much in June, and I thought another one of those BruceBreaks was looming. Giants Stadium and Fenway have just completely reinvigorated me. Love them (and I'm now pondering as to how I really feel about '78...). 

And yeah it is wild how these monthly releases and the time spent looking forward to them has made the years go quickly. I can remember listening to the First Friday preceding Spectrum 2009 release in July/August 2017, and the fact we're now four years away from that is striking. Time really does fly when you're having fun!  

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:40 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Not a show that's been released through the Archive Series, or a show that I think is likely to be. Still, a show that deserves to be talked about. August 15th, 1975. 

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/08/12/retro-e-street-review-august-15th-1975-new-york-ny-the-bottom-line/

19750815-the-bottom-line.png

Haply 46th to this one!