Greasy Lake Community

A Definitive Guide to Springsteen's Archive Series

50 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I hope to have Part 1 of my Best of The River Tour 2016-17 series posted in the next two weeks or so. 

Just for a heads up, I'm gonna be posting them in this thread. 

Are you also gonna review the High Hopes tour ?

Just now, Marnix said:

Are you also gonna review the High Hopes tour ?

Hopefully in time. I haven't got or listened to all the shows from that tour yet - I've just got a few - so I need to get around to getting them all and hearing them all first. 

But once I've done that I'll start planning a High Hopes guide. 

• Like 1

Just want to quickly say cheers to everyone who has read Part 1 of the Archive Guide. I've just looked at my blog stats and seen that it's on 700 views, a number I never imagined it would reach.

I know not 700 people will have viewed it, hell, that number might just be thanks to 1 person who REALLY liked it, but regardless, I hope I've been able to help out a bit, because that's all I wanted to do.

Part 1 will be updated with today's release by the end of the weekend. 

@Paolo's Circus Story, as suggested elsewhere, my thoughts on why MSG 2000 isn't a 10 out of 10 show for me.

"For me" being the operative words, because it really is personal taste in setlist selection and arrangements that slightly diminishes this show for me. Because there's nothing either in terms of the sound or mix that is an issue, and the band is in solid form also.

This will get you going, but a large part of why this isn't an immediate go to show for me is that long Tenth Avenue. I think they got that right on the original LINYC Cd by editing it down somewhat for a better audio only listening experience. This was probably good fun experienced live in the moment, but just to listen to without visuals... Bruce goofing on the piano during the intro and wringing out his sweat drenched shirt is awesome on the DVD, but when you're listening audio only it just becomes "gawd, they've just played that intro rifffor the twentieth time...start the song already".

I'm not a huge fan of that River arrangement either, a real take it or leave it for me. Some days I can listen to it and appreciate it, other times I feel like hitting skip.

And now I'll put Wout and other Flood lovers offside. Lost In The Flood is my least favourite of the epics so while anyone with ears can tell its a solid band performance of the song, it leaves me a bit flat. Similarly I find this acoustic take on BITUSA a bit to much of a self concious effort to make the song sound different for the sake of it. He had this type of arrangement nailed on the GOTJ tour, here it sounds a bit forced to my tastes. So this slower section loses me a bit, compared to say Incident & GOTJ like on the Staples Centre 1999 bootleg.

I sometimes try to think of the shows of what someone with fresher Bruce ears would hear. Which shows would really reach a newer listener. For mine, MSG 2000 falls short on that count due to the above reasons.

21 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

@Paolo's Circus Story, as suggested elsewhere, my thoughts on why MSG 2000 isn't a 10 out of 10 show for me.

"For me" being the operative words, because it really is personal taste in setlist selection and arrangements that slightly diminishes this show for me. Because there's nothing either in terms of the sound or mix that is an issue, and the band is in solid form also.

This will get you going, but a large part of why this isn't an immediate go to show for me is that long Tenth Avenue. I think they got that right on the original LINYC Cd by editing it down somewhat for a better audio only listening experience. This was probably good fun experienced live in the moment, but just to listen to without visuals... Bruce goofing on the piano during the intro and wringing out his sweat drenched shirt is awesome on the DVD, but when you're listening audio only it just becomes "gawd, they've just played that intro rifffor the twentieth time...start the song already".

I'm not a huge fan of that River arrangement either, a real take it or leave it for me. Some days I can listen to it and appreciate it, other times I feel like hitting skip.

And now I'll put Wout and other Flood lovers offside. Lost In The Flood is my least favourite of the epics so while anyone with ears can tell its a solid band performance of the song, it leaves me a bit flat. Similarly I find this acoustic take on BITUSA a bit to much of a self concious effort to make the song sound different for the sake of it. He had this type of arrangement nailed on the GOTJ tour, here it sounds a bit forced to my tastes. So this slower section loses me a bit, compared to say Incident & GOTJ like on the Staples Centre 1999 bootleg.

I sometimes try to think of the shows of what someone with fresher Bruce ears would hear. Which shows would really reach a newer listener. For mine, MSG 2000 falls short on that count due to the above reasons.

YOU SAY WHAT!?

I agree with you on the river and BITUSA, I always skip those performances as well :P

Still, Lost in the flood makes this show a 10/10 already for me. Yes, I'm biased :D

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

Everyone's allowed to like what they like and dislike what they dislike. I can definitely see why 20 mins of listening to a long "Tenth" can get on people's nerves when a lot of it is visual. I just really love the vocals, the build up to the song starting and to build back into the song "SAY WHO!"

That "River" arrangement I love, but I think a factor might be that it's the first Springsteen video I watched/song I listened to after Clarence died, so there's something special about it.

That section from "Lost in the Flood" to "The Promise" is my least played from the entire show. I'm not sure why, I don't dislike anything there, but I definitely think it's the 'weakest' section of the show. Now, I imagine you or others might read that saying "so why is it 10/10?" and I feel like I need to say that while it's my least played section, I never listened to anything and felt deflated like I did listening to "Follow That Dream" on the Wembo '81 release.
Additionally, I feel context is very important in making a show must-have, and this MSG one is, "for me", a historic, legendary show that culminates the revival tour of Springsteen and The E Street Band, whereas Wembo '81 isn't necessarily legendary - it's fuckin' amazing don't get me wrong - but it's never been highly lauded like the likes of The Roxy, Passaic, Stockholm '88, MSG 2000 etc.

I genuinely hope that's gonna change now it's been released, but at the moment it's just a really outstanding show from The River tour.

About MSG 2000: I must confess I barely listen to that archive show. I only listen to 'the promise' or 'backstreets' every once in a while. 

If I do want to listen to that show, I always listen to the LINYC cds. They are much, much better mixed in my opinion. (It might also be the case that my ears got used to those versions, but so be it.)  

19 minutes ago, Wout said:

About MSG 2000: I must confess I barely listen to that archive show. I only listen to 'the promise' or 'backstreets' every once in a while. 

If I do want to listen to that show, I always listen to the LINYC cds. They are much, much better mixed in my opinion. (It might also be the case that my ears got used to those versions, but so be it.)  

LINYC is redundant for me nowadays audio-wise. I'll still check out some of the video once in a while, but no way am I going back to a highly edited, incomplete show when one of the shows used is right there in all its glory. I don't think there's any major contrast in audio quality with the two of them either. 

The only thing LINYC has that the MSG 2000 release doesn't is "Don't Look Back" and "Jungleland". I'm totally fine to not listen to them in favour of "Blood Brothers", "Code of Silence" a full "My Love Will Not Let You Down", a full "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "The E Street Shuffle" and that version of "The Promised Land" amongst so much more. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LINYC is redundant for me nowadays audio-wise. I'll still check out some of the video once in a while, but no way am I going back to a highly edited, incomplete show when one of the shows used is right there in all its glory. I don't think there's any major contrast in audio quality with the two of them either. 

The only thing LINYC has that the MSG 2000 release doesn't is "Don't Look Back" and "Jungleland". I'm totally fine to not listen to them in favour of "Blood Brothers", "Code of Silence" a full "My Love Will Not Let You Down", a full "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "The E Street Shuffle" and that version of "The Promised Land" amongst so much more. 

But on LINYC you have the trinity LOHAD + American Skin + Lost in the Flood, which must be one of the best triplets out there!? 

7 minutes ago, Wout said:

But on LINYC you have the trinity LOHAD + American Skin + Lost in the Flood, which must be one of the best triplets out there!? 

It's all about what you're a fan a big fan of at the end of the day.

I'm a bigger fan of the "Thunder Road" > "If I Should Fall Behind" > "Land of Hope and Dreams" > "Blood Brothers" quadrilogy to be truthful. 

9 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Wembo '81 isn't necessarily legendary - it's fuckin' amazing don't get me wrong - but it's never been highly lauded like the likes of The Roxy, Passaic, Stockholm '88, MSG 2000 etc.

You might be wrong with that. The Wembley 1981 show is/was famous among fans and tape collectors as one of the best shows of the River Tour. Not quite as famous maybe as Nassau 31.12.1980 or Tempe 1980 or the L.A. 1981 Vietnam show; more a level below that, like Nassau 29.12.1980 and the two Stockholm 1981 shows.

21 minutes ago, Lampi said:

You might be wrong with that. The Wembley 1981 show is/was famous among fans and tape collectors as one of the best shows of the River Tour. Not quite as famous maybe as Nassau 31.12.1980 or Tempe 1980 or the L.A. 1981 Vietnam show; more a level below that, like Nassau 29.12.1980 and the two Stockholm 1981 shows.

Hm, well that's interesting. I'd never heard it, or ever really seen it mentioned. I know that doesn't really mean much as there's lots of great Springsteen shows that go rarely spoken of, but man I've heard so many incredible things about that 1/7/2000 MSG show over the years. 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:54 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Like I said in the respective thread, here's my review of last night's Wembley '81 release: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/08/04/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-wembley-5th-june-1981/

I'll get Part 1 of the Archive Guide updated later tonight or tomorrow. 

Thanks Pablo. Another great review, I love reading them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 11:12 AM, Wout said:

Biggest thing for me in terms of the MSG 2000 show is that I'd heard so much of it already, and listened to it a lot at that, it didn't really last much longer in rotation once it was re-released.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:25 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've wrote a review of the full Tempe '80 show if any of you want to check it out: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/retro-e-street-review-november-5th-1980-tempe-az/

I'm going to update this 1st Archive Guide with a link to this as I didn't feel the brief description of the 10 songs currently available to buy on the live website did the entire show justice. 

Another great review of a great show.

• Thanks 1