Promise61

This week in Bruceworld, 1985.

Three brilliant shows at the decrepit Wembley Stadium.  The weather was great, the sound was great,  we had a few rarities,  and something brand new on the first night.  Oh, Van Zandt showed up as well, dressed for winter. 

A fabulous week.

20180703_080216.jpg

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Oops, sorry for the bonky photo  It's the right way around on my laptop.

Just now, Born To Walk said:

Roundhay 85.jpg

I can see all of Newcastle Roy, Auntie and I in that picture

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Three brilliant shows at the decrepit Wembley Stadium.  The weather was great, the sound was great,  we had a few rarities,  and something brand new on the first night.  Oh, Van Zandt showed up as well, dressed for winter. 

A fabulous week.

20180703_080216.jpg

I'm sure we've still got our tickets, but it's nice to be reminded of what DAY it was.  Thursday, in our case. What a night!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Oh, Van Zandt showed up as well, dressed for winter. 

His clothing was still seasonal back then? 

:P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

And then .....

03 Leeds.jpg

Ticket holders consent to the "filming and sound recording" of themselves........hmmmmmmm....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LEEDS 1985 DVD IN BITUSA BOXSET CONFIRMED

At the very least, the odds of an archive release from this stand have shortened considerably

18 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

At the very least, the odds of an archive release from this stand have shortened considerably

I think we'll have had an Archive from this stand in at least a year.

7 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Ticket holders consent to the "filming and sound recording" of themselves........hmmmmmmm....

That would be a standard condition on tickets, the Newcastle ones said exactly the same. It was filmed for the big screens and a couple of clips appeared in the BTR video, that doesn't mean it was also recorded.

It would actually make a great video - sunny day in beautiful parkland setting, strong setlist and guest appearance by Steve - but sadly I can't see there's any chance of it happening.

I flew in from NYC the morning of the 3d. Checked in to my hotel to drop my bag, then off to Picadilly to a tout's office. I had a great scalper in NYC who set me up, picked up tickets for all three shows.

Packed my tape deck, batteries, blank cassettes, and microphone in my bag to sneak thru security - a lot easier then than now! Got thru the gate and up the stairs, then thru the concourse and down onto the pitch. Ended up ~20 deep off the stage, dead center, for each show. Great recording (I remember releasing the first night a long time ago, maybe thru a tree on SPL for someone there who was at their first show that night) spot, fans were easy to deal with. At intermission I went to get a beverage and pee, and my newfound friends were sure I'd never get back. But I did: even brought one a lager as he had asked ;) 

Ended up in the same spot for each show. All three tapes were really good. I remember giving a copy to one friend who listened on a flight to Europe. She said she opened her eyes and expected to hear the whole plane singing Twist & Shout, it was just like being on the pitch.

Dire Straits was playing Wembley Arena next door, 13 nights, so the off day for Bruce I went to that, and it was marvelous. So I packed extra blanks and batteries on the 6th, as Bruce's show was earlier that day. Doors opened at 2, show started at 4 and ended at 8, and I walked next door and scalped on the street for Dire Straits. One of my favorite concert-going days, EVER!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, JimCT said:

I flew in from NYC the morning of the 3d. Checked in to my hotel to drop my bag, then off to Picadilly to a tout's office. I had a great scalper in NYC who set me up, picked up tickets for all three shows.

Packed my tape deck, batteries, blank cassettes, and microphone in my bag to sneak thru security - a lot easier then than now! Got thru the gate and up the stairs, then thru the concourse and down onto the pitch. Ended up ~20 deep off the stage, dead center, for each show. Great recording (I remember releasing the first night a long time ago, maybe thru a tree on SPL for someone there who was at their first show that night) spot, fans were easy to deal with. At intermission I went to get a beverage and pee, and my newfound friends were sure I'd never get back. But I did: even brought one a lager as he had asked ;) 

Ended up in the same spot for each show. All three tapes were really good. I remember giving a copy to one friend who listened on a flight to Europe. She said she opened her eyes and expected to hear the whole plane singing Twist & Shout, it was just like being on the pitch.

Dire Straits was playing Wembley Arena next door, 13 nights, so the off day for Bruce I went to that, and it was marvelous. So I packed extra blanks and batteries on the 6th, as Bruce's show was earlier that day. Doors opened at 2, show started at 4 and ended at 8, and I walked next door and scalped on the street for Dire Straits. One of my favorite concert-going days, EVER!

Great story.  Nice one!

• Like 1

Did the Wembley shows & on the last night drove straight up the M1 to Leeds slept in the car & then having been there all morning ended up on the hill, loved those shows, I still regularly listen to a average boot of the 6th July & Roundhay Park, I know 4th July takes all the plaudits, but the other UK shows are underrated in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, County fair said:

Did the Wembley shows & on the last night drove straight up the M1 to Leeds slept in the car & then having been there all morning ended up on the hill, loved those shows, I still regularly listen to a average boot of the 6th July & Roundhay Park, I know 4th July takes all the plaudits, but the other UK shows are underrated in my opinion 

Yes.  I thought the 6th July was the best of the Wembley stand.  I didn't see any other shows on that tour other than the three Wembley shows though.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Born To Walk said:

And then .....

03 Leeds.jpg

Andy Kershaw speaks very lovingly of this show in his biog.  Mentions Bruce quite a bit throughout the book actually.  A good read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, County fair said:

The 4th had that acoustic Independence Day opening. It was stunning to be in a stadium with ~80,000 people (and all GA, too, so lots of people jockeying for position), all pumped up for the opening of a big rock & roll extravaganza, first welcome Bruce to the stage loudly, and then get completely hushed for 1 man, an acoustic guitar, and a harmonica. And then not 15 seconds after the finish of that to roar to life for the BITUSA opening.

The 6th had that wonderful moment in the encore of "this song's especially for London" followed by Street Fighting Man, completely unexpected and never repeated since.

I see brucebase has credited me for the release of a recording of the first night :)  

• Like 2

During the Saturday 6th July show does anyone remember a bare chested bloke breaking from the GA who ran towards the stage and climbed the stage scaffolding and started walking along the roof? He had a baseball cap on which fell off and briefly Bruce picked it up off of the stage and put it on, completely oblivious to what was going on above him? 

I was only 12 years old and I think that’s what happened. Did it?! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

During the Saturday 6th July show does anyone remember a bare chested bloke breaking from the GA who ran towards the stage and climbed the stage scaffolding and started walking along the roof? He had a baseball cap on which fell off and briefly Bruce picked it up off of the stage and put it on, completely oblivious to what was going on above him? 

I was only 12 years old and I think that’s what happened. Did it?! 

It definitely happened, and I'm pretty sure it was during DITD.  I seem to remember a security man climbing up after him.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

The 4th had that acoustic Independence Day opening. It was stunning to be in a stadium with ~80,000 people (and all GA, too, so lots of people jockeying for position), all pumped up for the opening of a big rock & roll extravaganza, first welcome Bruce to the stage loudly, and then get completely hushed for 1 man, an acoustic guitar, and a harmonica. And then not 15 seconds after the finish of that to roar to life for the BITUSA opening.

The 6th had that wonderful moment in the encore of "this song's especially for London" followed by Street Fighting Man, completely unexpected and never repeated since.

I see brucebase has credited me for the release of a recording of the first night :)  

…..and an absolutely beautiful version of Highway Patrolman, too.  That was quite a rarity back then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

…..and an absolutely beautiful version of Highway Patrolman, too.  That was quite a rarity back then.

I got it 4 of 10 nights in New Jersey during the Fall '84 leg, and then again in Hartford. But always welcome :) 

• Like 1