I think so far this is the most well received release of the series, seems everyone is pretty happy with this one.

14 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

They edited it out?  

Yep, simple as that.

33 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

I think so far this is the most well received release of the series, seems everyone is pretty happy with this one.

You are not looking at the right sites.  Yes most are very happy with it, but there are some who are not happy with the mastering as it is very compressed.  Compared to the Passaic released which was mastered much quieter and allows for more headroom and ability to listen at higher levels on quality equipment without ear fatigue.  The Tower 75 show and Agora suffer the same issue.

I haven't heard it yet so I cant tell but going by the numbers from audio programs it is definitely more compressed than Passaic.  If you have the equipment and the ears to pick out this sort of stuff, then mastering like this can potentially ruin what is otherwise a great mix and performance.

I generally don't notice this but I have experienced it and it is a problem for those sensitive to it.  

22 minutes ago, unclejosh said:

You are not looking at the right sites.  Yes most are very happy with it, but there are some who are not happy with the mastering as it is very compressed.  Compared to the Passaic released which was mastered much quieter and allows for more headroom and ability to listen at higher levels on quality equipment without ear fatigue.  The Tower 75 show and Agora suffer the same issue.

I haven't heard it yet so I cant tell but going by the numbers from audio programs it is definitely more compressed than Passaic.  If you have the equipment and the ears to pick out this sort of stuff, then mastering like this can potentially ruin what is otherwise a great mix and performance.

I generally don't notice this but I have experienced it and it is a problem for those sensitive to it.  

Interesting, I haven’t downloaded it yet but I was not happy at all with the Agora releases sound quality, I was hoping for Roxy to sound like Passaic.  I run pretty high end equipment including a perfect set of NS1000M Yamaha Studio Monitors with a Rotel Amp, they reveal everything.  I’ll have to give it a listen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 65pacecar said:

Interesting, I haven’t downloaded it yet but I was not happy at all with the Agora releases sound quality, I was hoping for Roxy to sound like Passaic.  I run pretty high end equipment including a perfect set of NS1000M Yamaha Studio Monitors with a Rotel Amp, they reveal everything.  I’ll have to give it a listen.  

Passaic just edges it. There's not much of a difference in audio quality, this is great. 

1 hour ago, Marnix said:

On the various bootlegs of the radio broadcast there is not the 10 minute encore break. How is that possible if the show was live on the radio ??

1 hour ago, unclejosh said:

They edited it out?  

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Yep, simple as that.

Also, otherwise the 20-minute intermission after the first set would be on the bootlegs, too.:)

52 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Crowd: "Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!"

Announcer: "Ladies and Gentlemen the show is over, please go home."

Crowd: "BRUCE! BRUCE! BRUCE! BRUCE! BRUCE!"

Defiant fuckers! :lol:

The Defiant Ones? ;)

2 hours ago, unclejosh said:

I can appreciate the desire for certain audio characteristics in any given recording, but really, complaining about the sound quality of Agora, Passaic and Roxy is like complaining about the sound quality of Presley’s Mystery Train.  The power and majesty and sheer brilliance of the music carry the day.  

Plus, it’s Roxy ‘78.  

• Like 5

After all these years and having heard Roxy/78 many times before - let alone 75/85 ... it took Eric Flannigans article today on ‘Backstreets’ to tell me how they edited ‘Backstreets’ back in 86. I seriously can’t believe I never knew that.

Well, even now: I’m super pissed off! Why edit anything back then? That’s so fucked up ... cheesy! Just take another version from another tour for that box release if they wanted to use that tune so bad! That set could have used ‘Glory Days’ or ‘Ties’ on it anyway!

This Tramp is just shocked to have learned something new lol ... but I don’t like knowing this now. It’s definitely something I can’t believe I never pieced together. 

Anyway, I like this show for he’s playing the tunes more like they were on the new record and his voice is always better at the start of a tour.

Good release ...... on to Summer/Fall 85

Brad

stellar release! like most here, i've listened to the Roxy bootleg many times. however, this time i feel like right there, in amongst the crowd, hearing it for the first time. Happy days :)

• Like 2

This might be one of the best shows I’ve ever heard and I’ve listened to well over a 1,000 shows and many of them a bunch of times .... but there’s something about hearing it now and like this that’s just giving me chills ....how bout that ‘Indy Day’?? My goodness ....might be the best I’ve heard! A little ‘Real World/90’ there, huh? 

Incredible,

Brad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTALllifeBrucesince11 said:

I was sure we would have something from 1992. We have one show from 1993 but no entire arena or amphitheatre shows from 1992.

Which 1992 shows do YOU want to hear?

This was a great show. Real World was fantastic.

1992-10-22 - SHORELINE AMPHITHEATRE, MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

Soundcheck: BETTER DAYS / MANSION ON THE HILL

RED HEADED WOMAN / BETTER DAYS / LOCAL HERO / LUCKY TOWN / ATLANTIC CITY / THE BIG MUDDY / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / THE RIVER / LIVING PROOF / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / THE LONG GOODBYE / COVER ME / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / SOUL DRIVER / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER - BORN IN THE U.S.A. / REAL WORLD / LIGHT OF DAY / HUMAN TOUCH (with Patti Scialfa) / GLORY DAYS / BOBBY JEAN / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY

Originally scheduled for October 9. Last known performance of "The Long Goodbye".

• Like 1

Just now, Jerseyfornia said:

This was a great show.

1992-10-22 - SHORELINE AMPHITHEATRE, MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

Soundcheck: BETTER DAYS / MANSION ON THE HILL

RED HEADED WOMAN / BETTER DAYS / LOCAL HERO / LUCKY TOWN / ATLANTIC CITY / THE BIG MUDDY / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / THE RIVER / LIVING PROOF / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / THE LONG GOODBYE / COVER ME / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / SOUL DRIVER / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER - BORN IN THE U.S.A. / REAL WORLD / LIGHT OF DAY / HUMAN TOUCH (with Patti Scialfa) / GLORY DAYS / BOBBY JEAN / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY

Originally scheduled for October 9. Last known performance of "The Long Goodbye".

It's probably buried with all the tapes they have of ALL those shows that were done via cassette/reeltoreel between 1973 and 2000. Maybe that one will show up somewhere down the road.

13 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Listening to this perfection that is The Roxy '78, hearing the anger, the passion, the jubilation from Bruce singing "Darkness on the Edge of Town", and it fills me with joy. It excites me for the times I'm going to spend listening to this song, this show, for what's to come from this amazing project. 

13 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

The exact same feeling came over me hearing Darkness just now. Music this present is moving, it's life-affirming. 

There is magic in it.

On Darkness, when did he start changing the last line of the second verse to "You can drive all night and never make it around" on the 78 tour. I'd never picked up that on Roxy it is still the album lyric. I'm pretty sure it's the alternate lyric on all the other radio broadcast bootlegs

8 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

After all these years and having heard Roxy/78 many times before - let alone 75/85 ... it took Eric Flannigans article today on ‘Backstreets’ to tell me how they edited ‘Backstreets’ back in 86. I seriously can’t believe I never knew that.

What did it say? 

28 minutes ago, J said:

What did it say? 

Google it.  The Business of the Unexpected:  Roxy ‘78.    :D