14 hours ago, unclejosh said:

You are not looking at the right sites.  Yes most are very happy with it, but there are some who are not happy with the mastering as it is very compressed.  Compared to the Passaic released which was mastered much quieter and allows for more headroom and ability to listen at higher levels on quality equipment without ear fatigue.  The Tower 75 show and Agora suffer the same issue.

I haven't heard it yet so I cant tell but going by the numbers from audio programs it is definitely more compressed than Passaic.  If you have the equipment and the ears to pick out this sort of stuff, then mastering like this can potentially ruin what is otherwise a great mix and performance.

I generally don't notice this but I have experienced it and it is a problem for those sensitive to it.  

Tower hurts my ears :(

• Like 1

I finally got a change to listen to the FLAC HD files of the show and it is definitely compressed and does cause some ear fatigue.  It is not brickwalled but not as pleasant to listen to as Passaic,  This is not a mix problem so no JA vs BC problem here. This is all the mastering.  Sounds good in the car though.

14 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

So much difference. You feel like a member of the audience on this one for starters, in contrast to the distance on the bootleg. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MadamMarie said:

Google it.  The Business of the Unexpected:  Roxy ‘78.    :D 

Oh, I see, that essay... Sorry, I thought Backstreets had an essay detailing way more than just "they cut bits out". 

3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

So much difference. You feel like a member of the audience on this one for starters, in contrast to the distance on the bootleg. 

I don't know if there were different versions of the bootleg... But I always felt like I was right there in the audience when listening to the bootleg too. 

This one has way more instrument separation and depth than the bootleg. 

• Like 2

I have to spend some time today with the other 78 tour versions of Because The Night because this one, and yes I've heard it a thousand times before but only really noticing it now, this one is different to me. More subtle inthe guitar and piano intro? More fluid? I guess I can't say until I listen to some of the others from the broadcast shows.

Today, this is my favorite Because The Night of all time.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, J said:

Oh, I see, that essay... Sorry, I thought Backstreets had an essay detailing way more than just "they cut bits out". 

I thought the same thing... That there was an explanation of how or why or what they did, more than what we already knew which was that they edited the interlude out...

• Like 2

After downloading and listening to this, I remember why I never listen to the bootleg anymore.  Easily the weakest of the “radio shows” in my opinion.  Adam Raised a Cain and For You are superb but most of the show pales compared to Agora and Passaic. 

And compared to the Clearmountain mix on Passaic #2 the sound is very flat and insipid.  When they finally release Passaic #1 and Winterland, they have to be mixed by Clearmountain.  

Haven't really been blown away by a release since Meadowland 93 which followed hot on the heels of two equall6 fantastic releases in Stockholm and Passaic.

Very good version of "The Promised Land" on here.

Highlights include Bruce wailing "sometimes I just want to explode" more so than singing, and "heading through the heart of the storm" is a more more impactful lyric.

The only problem I have with it is the cover, which was a photo from Philadelphia in May. I used the one I found off google, which seems to fit.  1978-07-07-roxvox-cd.thumb.jpg.fa94a3cc765d4679845ea9f100bbbbe2.jpg

• Like 1

I made a wallpaper in occasion of the 40th anniversary

image.thumb.png.6c9eb594a9c7be4ff2fa8c7992fa36a2.png

• Like 4

You can use the billboard Brice graffitied up on Sunset. 

A83995B4-53ED-40CC-91D5-A6D123D466F3.png

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I just bought the CD. I got that and Stockholm, which is one I like allot.

How long does it take them to ship?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I have to spend some time today with the other 78 tour versions of Because The Night because this one, and yes I've heard it a thousand times before but only really noticing it now, this one is different to me. More subtle inthe guitar and piano intro? More fluid? I guess I can't say until I listen to some of the others from the broadcast shows.

Today, this is my favorite Because The Night of all time.

I tend to agree with you. The version here lacks the shine/polish of the later versions and we are richer for it. I love the 2nd encore break and am glad they included it. I feel like I'm standing, dripping wet, screaming for more. The everpresent now, sadly it passes, but sometimes they come back and play Twist & Shout.

The whole thing is just fantastic. Listening to ALAC through my new headphones, just a magical thing.

• Like 1

I do not have a discerning ear. Do I really need to buy this release if I' already have the bootleg? Seriously, it's not the money - it's the fact that I just don't hear things like "more instrumentation" "subtle blah, blah, blah." I've read people's comments and am amazed at their insights, but I just wonder if my tin ear will be able to pick up on them. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

I just don't know if the better audio quality would be lost on me. 

50 minutes ago, frankie80 said:

I just don't know if the better audio quality would be lost on me. 

It sounds significantly better than the bootleg. You can hear the rhythm kick in right away as they tear in "Rave On!". The sound is balanced throughout, and none of the audio anomalies present on the boots is evident in the new mix. It just sounds wonderful. There are many "holy shit" moments throughout.

Comparing it to Passaic is a mistake in that the two rooms are completely different.  The Roxy is a tiny club that holds 500 people whereas Passaic holds over 3000. It's apples vs oranges in comparison.

I love it. I just love it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

I was wondering if, and when, this part of that legendary LA stand was going to get a mention! CBS kept the billboard up on Sunset for months after this, probably because it had the honor of being defaced by its subject!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

I was wondering if, and when, this part of that legendary LA stand was going to get a mention! CBS kept the billboard up on Sunset for months after this, probably because it had the honor of being defaced by its subject!

....and Bruce also wanted to paint a moustache on his own face but that was a little bit too high, apparently.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Is it just me or does that look more like Pacino than Springsteen?

Attica! Attica! Attica!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1