1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

That’s the Altschiller trademark with his mixes. Not sure why. It’s not something you find with the Bob Clearmountain mixes. 

Agreed.  It is the hi hat and kick drum and they just dominate.  Was comparing some of the tracks like candy’s room and it is off puttingly evident to me how dominant the drums are.  Compared a few key tracks like promised land, badlands and prove it between Passaic and Roxy and there is a world of difference.

That was why I felt it sounded like a very good bootleg. I thought St Louis and MSG 2000 had the same problem.  MSG was horrible compared to LINYC but then Stockholm 88, Meadowland 93 and Buffalo 2009 on the other hand don’t suffer from the same affliction and sound superb to my ears.  So not sure why the inconsistency.

This is the first Archive release I've listened to twice in a row all the way through... just started my third go round this morning when I got to work in the car. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Karembu said:

75-85 actually needs some volume added to it as it sounds like it was mastered without any.  It is one of the best and most beautifully mixed live albums ever but man you have to pump the volume to hear it properly.

Yes! The CDs are quieter than the original vinyl release for some reason. 

Sort of a side note, but as we're discussing sound quality...I've read some posts on the Hoffman site that The Roxy has been mastered 'too loudly'. What does that mean, and how is it possible? In layman's terms where does it sit with the other '78 releases? I found the Agora and Houston to be average to poor sound quality, Passaic excellent. Oh, agreed with Live '75-'85; love a remaster, it is far too quiet!

13 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Sort of a side note, but as we're discussing sound quality...I've read some posts on the Hoffman site that The Roxy has been mastered 'too loudly'. What does that mean, and how is it possible? In layman's terms where does it sit with the other '78 releases? I found the Agora and Houston to be average to poor sound quality, Passaic excellent. Oh, agreed with Live '75-'85; love a remaster, it is far too quiet!

If it's mixed too loudly you get distortion issues and ear fatigue... modern albums all suffer from it, it's all the rage these days. As someone on here called it: the loudness wars. 

• Sad 1

I've been listening to this show since Friday, without ever hearing it before in its entirety (I'm no bootleg collector :ph34r:)... It reminded me of how much I love his storytelling, not just his singing and the magical music created by the band. His voice sounds a bit deeper, stronger, more rockabilly. I love the club atmosphere, the audience is not just a loud collective noise, but we are able to hear what they individually were saying. Seeing Bruce and the band in a setting like this size must have been unbelievable. 
Rave On is wild, short and so hearty, what a killer opening... The Promise Land is amazing, Growin'up legendary... Because The Night has a unique, very beautiful intro and sounds stellar, although his pronunciation at moments sounds a bit indistinct. I'm happy Pont Blank was redesigned later for The River, the lyrics are definitely more advanced on the album version. 
I love how confident and relaxed Bruce was, how he interacted with the audience, how accessible he was. The intro to TR is a goosebump moment.

All in all, a phenomenal performance of the band, with the definite feel of the late 70-is. We read & talk all the time about how longstanding his career is. Listening to this show definitely makes you understand what a mileage he's done. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I've been listening to this show since Friday, without ever hearing it before in its entirety (I'm no bootleg collector :ph34r:)... It reminded me of how much I love his storytelling, not just his singing and the magical music created by the band. His voice sounds a bit deeper, stronger, more rockabilly. I love the club atmosphere, the audience is not just a loud collective noise, but we are able to hear what they individually were saying. Seeing Bruce and the band in a setting like this size must have been unbelievable. 
Rave On is wild, short and so hearty, what a killer opening... The Promise Land is amazing, Growin'up legendary... Because The Night has a unique, very beautiful intro and sounds stellar, although his pronunciation at moments sounds a bit indistinct. I'm happy Pont Blank was redesigned later for The River, the lyrics are definitely more advanced on the album version. 
I love how confident and relaxed Bruce was, how he interacted with the audience, how accessible he was. The intro to TR is a goosebump moment.

All in all, a phenomenal performance of the band, with the definite feel of the late 70-is. We read & talk all the time about how longstanding his career is. Listening to this show definitely makes you understand what a mileage he's done. 

This, this, I love this...

What strikes me on repeat listenings is the individuals in the crowd and their reaction to this powerful music. On the right channel the woman who seems to be losing her mind from the start. The voices who are screaming and talking just sounds great. Then during the transition between racing and TR. "E Street band. E Street Band".

Just fucking magical.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

This, this, I love this...

What strikes me on repeat listenings is the individuals in the crowd and their reaction to this powerful music. On the right channel the woman who seems to be losing her mind from the start. The voices who are screaming and talking just sounds great. Then during the transition between racing and TR. "E Street band. E Street Band".

Just fucking magical.

It's an audio monument, this show.

• Like 2

Every time I listen to this show, every song, I hear something different, something subtle, something astonishing. 

Maybe it's Bruce's emphasis singing "young anymore" in "Thunder Road", or his despondent tone singing "it don't matter to me now" whilst singing Backstreets. The guitar in "For You" at 3:19 - 3:20, and the riff throughout "Adam Raised a Cain". The eerie jungle vibe in "Mona". Roy making a little piano key change at the start of "Growin' Up."

When I listened to the radio broadcast, I heard a good show, but I wasn't able to truly understand why this show is great. 

When I listen to this delicacy of an Archive release, I hear one of the legendary shows, it excites me for what's coming in the series and makes me even more appreciative of what's already been released. 

I feel blessed, man. 

• Like 3

Happy for you fella.  I couldn’t disagree more about this show but I love that you love it.  Plus, if nothing else, I think the ‘Sad Eyes’ Backstreets breakdown settles the debate that Terry is a girl too.

Put my headphones on at work today and I always put on an archive release when I do that so I can just focus.  Listened to Passaic and it’s a pretty awesome feeling when you just got lost in the music and realise that life is pretty good and that this series is pretty awesome overall.

Blessed days indeed.

• Like 1

Is the sound quality of Roxy '78 somewhat comparable to The Agora? Considering buying this show in FLAC-HD as it's such a classic. Glad to see you're all enjoying it so much!

3 minutes ago, timhidskes said:

Is the sound quality of Roxy '78 somewhat comparable to The Agora? Considering buying this show in FLAC-HD as it's such a classic. Glad to see you're all enjoying it so much!

Depends on how you feel about the Agora sound quality.  I think they are very different and think Agora sounds far superior but many feel the opposite.

If you like the show, go for it - most people are really pleased with it.  And you can never have too many versions of the proto-type Point Blank!

16 minutes ago, timhidskes said:

I've usually gone for a straight FLAC download, except for the Stockholm show and this. For those two I went for HD. The main difference so far has been the time it took to download this show - the d/l speed where I'm staying turned out to be really, really slow...:blink:<_<

38 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Depends on how you feel about the Agora sound quality.  I think they are very different and think Agora sounds far superior but many feel the opposite.

If you like the show, go for it - most people are really pleased with it.  And you can never have too many versions of the proto-type Point Blank!

28 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I've usually gone for a straight FLAC download, except for the Stockholm show and this. For those two I went for HD. The main difference so far has been the time it took to download this show - the d/l speed where I'm staying turned out to be really, really slow...:blink:<_<

Thanks a lot! I did a quick comparison with some of the songs that are on Youtube already. My first impression is that the sound of Roxy is better, more open sounding and better mixed in comparison to Agora. 

I'm really looking forward to this one, never heard the show before!

Agora is also a 2 track stereo recording whereas Roxy (and Passaic) are 24 track recordings.  So it should sound more open and have better instrument separation.  

It is mastered hot though but if you enjoyed Agora which is also mastered hot then you should really enjoy Roxy!  

this was a great release, was absolutely stunned by the solo piano Independece day.

Bruce; Please release this on a record store Vinyl.

• Like 3

I've never been a huge fan of Point Blank.  At least until now.  Holy shit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, timhidskes said:

Personally I like the bootleg of Agora better.  Its one of the first archives they released and I don't think they did the best job on the sound.  That being said, the sound on the official release is still good, but more importantly, the content of the Agora show is outstanding.  It's my favorite show from '78, hands down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crdowning said:

I've never been a huge fan of Point Blank.  At least until now.  Holy shit.

what did you think of it in the past river tour ?

i always though that 78 point blank was the best ever till the river tour

32 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

what did you think of it in the past river tour ?

i always though that 78 point blank was the best ever till the river tour

I enjoyed it on the recent tour, and I really love the version from Tempe 1980.  However, I think this is the first time I have really been totally blown away by this song.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windows22 said:

this was a great release, was absolutely stunned by the solo piano Independece day.

Agreed.  It's played a little slower than normal, which really adds to the impact.  Every word in the song is delivered perfectly, and it sounds amazing.