Greasy Lake Community

'68 - Rock 'N Roll's Greatest Year?

JustDan

'67, '69, '73, '77, '78 were better.....IMO...

s-l1600.jpg

But, anyhoo, it's a good read. Issue out now in U.S./Canada. As for the Fabs, '68 marked the beginning of their end. They would have one more masterpiece left in them, but it didn't come out until '69.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a reference to this song during the news coverage of the May Day rally in DC that spring. One preotester was what they wanted, and he replied, "We're gonna put that wrench round Johnson's neck, and we're gonna tighten up."

this peaked at #13 in January '68, the first introduction for most of us to a voice I've loved ever since - Linda Ronstadt (with the Stone Poneys), Different Drum (written by Mike Nesmith)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Seems`appropriate.

Gawd, I love this. Always have. And produced by Macca too :) I just read the history of it ... a very old song.

I tend to put it in the same category as songs like Where Do You Go To My Lovely and Streets of London which go unloved by many people (IMHO).  They're sometimes looked upon as cheesy ... but if you dig deeper and really listen to the melancholy in the words ... beautiful!

Also released Aug '68

220px-The_Weight_cover.jpg

how's this for the single - The Weight, and I Shall be Released on the b-side :) 

I'll use the Last Waltz version for I Shall be Released, just so good. I was away at school when this song came out in '68 (or on my way), so first heard it as a cover done by a local band at a dance at school. They had a pretty lead singer who did a fabulous job on it - I was in awe, without knowing the origin.

Archived