Greasy Lake Community

'68 - Rock 'N Roll's Greatest Year?

JustDan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the Greatest Album of All-time being released in November of 1968....I'm speaking of the Beatles White Album of course....one of the great live rock n roll performances took place just weeks later....for some reason, copyright I'm sure, the actual performance does not appear on youtube.  Staring at the record sleeve for 7 and a half minutes will have to do.

released a week after the Democratic convention in Chicago, in advance of its album source

"What can a poor boy do except sing for a rock-n-roll band?"

Watching Bruce and Stevie and the ESB launch into "something special just for London" at Wembley in '85 was amazing

• 2 weeks later...

This week, Sept 14, 1968, "Hey Jude" began an 8 week run at the #1 spot on Billboard, making it the Beatles most successful single in America. It was Billboard's #1 single of the year.

beatles-1968-hey-jude-45-capitol-swirl-l

• 2 weeks later...

new this week, then - Donovan, Lalena

I confess that a few years later I met a young woman one evening and we found out that we had a mutual appreciation of both Donovan and the Kingston Trio :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Although on the Wildflowers album of the year before, this was released as a single this week. Written by Joni Mitchell. Such a pure voice. Back in the 70s and 80s she used to perform annually at Carnegie Hall between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I got to several of those.

Judy Collins, Both Sides Now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived