Greasy Lake Community

Female covers of Bruce songs

17 hours ago, judyg said:

Or even The Pointer Sister’s version of Fire?
You folks are slipping!

I recently stumbles across a YouTube channel of a '70s and '80s Dutch pop show.

image.png.542a1073a52d6bd361b2fbe182fbeb56.png

34 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I recently stumbles across a YouTube channel of a '70s and '80s Dutch pop show.

image.png.542a1073a52d6bd361b2fbe182fbeb56.png

Yup. The Pointer Sister's version got more radio play and sold more copies than Bruce's version.  I remember that I had to tell a bunch of people that it was a Bruce Springsteen song.  :)

On 6/22/2020 at 12:59 PM, Jertucky said:

Funny. I haven’t heard her sing anything that didn’t make my skin crawl. It’s the over-the-top drawl that does it.

I just find her voice boring and generic

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

none of these ( Harris aside) are particularly great.  Im a massive Maria McKee fan, they are dreadfuL.

Suprised no on has posted Meryl Gobshite Streep and My Love Will not let you down, to top of this horremdous thread.

I didn't mind that, but i like Meryl

On 6/19/2020 at 6:05 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Jeez that's crap

Sounds like she has a mouthful of spit she's too polite to spit out in front of the first lady :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

none of these ( Harris aside) are particularly great.  Im a massive Maria McKee fan, they are dreadfuL.

Suprised no on has posted Meryl Gobshite Streep and My Love Will not let you down, to top of this horremdous thread.

Love Maria McKee and I'm just glad I read through all the comments, before I posted.

Awful is possibly the most polite description of someone who I thought could nail those high notes and make it her own.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking we were onto something - alas not - no offence to those who try but why piss about with something that has taken an age to get to being recorded in the first place and is deemed as perfection on release.

Lesson to nearly all - not worth covering a Bruce song;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seadogscarb said:

Love Maria McKee and I'm just glad I read through all the comments, before I posted.

Awful is possibly the most polite description of someone who I thought could nail those high notes and make it her own.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking we were onto something - alas not - no offence to those who try but why piss about with something that has taken an age to get to being recorded in the first place and is deemed as perfection on release.

Lesson to nearly all - not worth covering a Bruce song;)

Why you'll never hear me doing kareoki :lol:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The Cowboy Junkies are no strangers to covering Bruce’s music in their inimitably sad style. Their stark covers of “State Trooper” and “Thunder Road” are right up there among the best Springsteen covers out there. But this one’s different. Margo Timmins’ solo turn on “If I Should Fall Behind” is delicate, sweet, and so intimate you can hear the piano pedals.

Featuring Margo on lead vocals, Nick Craine on backgrounds (himself no stranger to Bruce’s music), and Witold Grabowiecki on piano, and Jeff Bird on bass, this darn-near perfect cover stems from Margo’s 2009 under-the-radar Margo’s Corner recordings.

http://estreetshuffle.com/index.php/2020/05/18/cover-me-margo-timmins-if-i-should-fall-behind/

• 2 weeks later...

We have a dedicated topic for this kind of stuff, can you please post it here so we can hold an overview to this never ending stream of female covers  https://www.greasylake.org/the-circuit/index.php?/topic/133758-female-covers-of-bruce-songs/page/4/#comments

And maybe, if its not too much to ask, do you know who Alison Mosshart is?

image.thumb.png.439ae86dd398905391b7d23285bfbb2c.png

19 minutes ago, el sergio said:

We have a dedicated topic for this kind of stuff, can you please post it here so we can hold an overview to this never ending stream of female covers 

Sorry. I guess maybe we should have a moratorium on the "never ending stream of female covers." 

• Sad 1