Buddhabone

"Springsteen on Broadway" is coming to Netflix Dec 15

“Springsteen on Broadway” coming to Netflix

“Springsteen on Broadway” will launch globally on Netflix on December 15, 2018, which is also the final night of Springsteen’s completely sold out 236-show run at Jujamcyn’s Walter Kerr Theatre on Broadway. “Springsteen on Broadway” is a solo acoustic performance written and performed by Tony Award, Academy Award, and 20-time Grammy Award winner Bruce Springsteen. Based on his worldwide best-selling autobiography 'Born to Run,' “Springsteen on Broadway” is a unique evening with Bruce, his guitar, a piano, and his very personal stories. In addition, it features a special appearance by Patti Scialfa. The evening has received rave reviews in top media here and abroad.

“Springsteen on Broadway” is written by Bruce Springsteen, and directed and produced by Emmy Award-winner Thom Zimny ("Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Live in New York City (2001)"). In addition to Zimny, the film is being produced by the same team that produced “Springsteen on Broadway,” including Springsteen manager Jon Landau, Springsteen tour director George Travis, and Landau Management partner Barbara Carr.

Said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix: “We are thrilled to bring Bruce Springsteen -- a master storyteller, humanitarian and voice of the everyman -- to Netflix in this historic one man show. This groundbreaking experience defies the boundaries of theater, concerts and film and will give our global audience an intimate look at one of the biggest cultural icons of our time.”

Said Springsteen manager, Jon Landau: “The purpose of the film is to bring this incredibly intimate show to Bruce’s entire audience intact and complete. In addition to its many other virtues, Netflix has provided for a simultaneous worldwide release which is particularly important for our massive international audience. Ted Sarandos and the entire company’s support has been a perfect match for Bruce’s personal commitment to the filmed version of 'Springsteen on Broadway.'”

Bruce Springsteen's historic sold-out series of performances of his one man show “Springsteen On Broadway” began previews on October 3, 2017 and officially opened October 12. The show was extended three times after its initial eight-week run, and will close on Broadway on December 15, 2018, bringing the total number of performances to 236.

http://brucespringsteen.net/news/2018/springsteen-on-broadway-coming-to-netflix

• Like 3

I've already got Netflix so this is awesome. That said, I still want a physical copy so my question is: When will the Blu-Ray be released?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

I've already got Netflix so this is awesome. That said, I still want a physical copy so my question is: When will the Blu-Ray be released?

I dig that you want your own copy, but why? Netflix is always up and running. And in HD. 

• Sad 2

Netflix will likely only have rights to this for a certain time period.  Even if they have it in perpetuity, which I highly doubt, they cycle through their material (take it down, put it back up).  I don't think anyone here knows yet whether it will be released in a DVD or other format, and if I ran Netflix I would not want such announcement before this airs.  Netflix will use this, and all shows, to drive new subscribers. 

1 minute ago, JoanFontaine said:

Netflix will likely only have rights to this for a certain time period.  Even if they have it in perpetuity, which I highly doubt, they cycle through their material (take it down, put it back up).  I don't think anyone here knows yet whether it will be released in a DVD or other format, and if I ran Netflix I would not want such announcement before this airs.  Netflix will use this, and all shows, to drive new subscribers. 

Yeah, Netflix will have paid a fortune for this, so they're gonna get their monies worth. 

i feel nervous 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JoanFontaine said:

Whether they release an official DVD or not we will all have a HiDef copy before the end of the year. 

• Like 2

Netflix originals series get released to buy on discs so I see no reason why they wouldn’t make a disc of SoB available to buy. Albeit probably months after they have removed it from their library menu. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I dig that you want your own copy, but why? Netflix is always up and running. And in HD. 

Hopefully it will be available on their Ultra HD 4K range so I can watch it on my 55” 4K tv. I knew I bought it for some reason, and this is it! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Hopefully it will be available on their Ultra HD 4K range so I can watch it on my 55” 4K tv. I knew I bought it for some reason, and this is it! 

You know i just posted on the other thread, I watch You Tube on mine all the time. Watch that 2013 Leeds Bruce show about 20 times now. And a couple other shows. DBT's, The Killers, The National. All in HD 4K. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Netflix originals series get released to buy on discs so I see no reason why they wouldn’t make a disc of SoB available to buy. Albeit probably months after they have removed it from their library menu. 

This is not a Netflix original. Springsteen owns his catalogue, including this. He gives companies very specific rights.  If this is eventually released in a DVD, Sony will likely be involved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Netflix will most likely have the rights to air first, and possibly have exclusivity for a predetermined time period.

I would bet money on an official Sony/Columbia release at some point thereafter. 6 to 12 months perhaps. And hopefully in various formats. (DVD/Blu Ray/CD)

As a Springsteen collector, I want this sitting alongside all my other DVDs/Blu Rays/box sets. For me the exciting prospect is HD picture, sure, but also lossless Hi-Resolution sound, if this is released on Blu Ray, which I really think will be the case.

Bruce Inc/Landau have always been clever with dangling that extra little carrot to entice purchase, so expect the home purchase release, in whatever format, to have bonus content, like say a behind the scenes documentary.

I, for one, will be queued up to fork over my cash with a smile on my face. :)

• Like 3

Yikes another beeping subscription. I am going line up all the people I 'follow/watch/listen to' and say pick a streaming service and stick with it guys or you are getting culled. I can only afford so many different channels!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SydneyGirl said:

Yikes another beeping subscription. I am going line up all the people I 'follow/watch/listen to' and say pick a streaming service and stick with it guys or you are getting culled. I can only afford so many different channels!

Indeed. Shafted once again. I am not getting sucked into the Netflix world just for this. I am destined never to see this Broadway thing and, frankly, I don't care how fucking amazing it is anymore. For all of us ( i.e. the majority of his fan base) who couldn't afford to travel and buy tickets etc. a recording is at least a way to involve us but nope. I understand the need (well, almost) to make the best deal possible but FFS.

• Like 1

I understand the frustration of this being released on a subscription based platform, but you literally do not have to pay to watch this. Signing up means you get a month free. You could watch this 383 times in that month and still not pay for it. It’s easy peasy to cancel your subscription, you don’t need to wait until the full 30 days is up. 

• Like 8

I think the princip is what bothers @wolfinthepines 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Indeed. Shafted once again. I am not getting sucked into the Netflix world just for this. I am destined never to see this Broadway thing and, frankly, I don't care how fucking amazing it is anymore. For all of us ( i.e. the majority of his fan base) who couldn't afford to travel and buy tickets etc. a recording is at least a way to involve us but nope. I understand the need (well, almost) to make the best deal possible but FFS.

Seeing a Netflix special is sooooo hard. How dare they inconvenience you in such a manner. Good boycott. Don't see it, punish them. LOL

7 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I understand the frustration of this being released on a subscription based platform, but you literally do not have to pay to watch this. Signing up means you get a month free. You could watch this 383 times in that month and still not pay for it. It’s easy peasy to cancel your subscription, you don’t need to wait until the full 30 days is up. 

Uh-huh. Hope you're right. Still pisses me off, though.

2 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Uh-huh. Hope you're right. Still pisses me off, though.

I completely understand! I just don’t want people to think that they have to sign up and pay to watch this, that’s all. Unfortunately streaming services are the way things are going now, and Bruce is only taking a further step into the future. This will give him an even wider audience than perhaps ever before, millions use Netflix, which is probably why it was opted for over a straight up dvd release. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

You can use it for free for much longer than a month as long as you use different login credentials and billing details. Netflix does not track IP address. Whether it is a principled thing to do is a different matter altogether.

1 minute ago, ThePhisherman said:

Seeing a Netflix special is sooooo hard. How dare they inconvenience you in such a manner. Good boycott. Don't see it, punish them. LOL

Right on time. I assumed you'd chip in with the usual. I rarely rise to this type of post but for you I'll make an exception. This is a discussion board, my friend, a place to express opinions. Everyone's entitled to their own and should feel able to share it should they wish to. Lively discussion and debate should be a good thing and a way to learn. However, without meaning to be patronising :rolleyes:, you are missing a crucial element when engaging in conversation - respect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2