Sign in to follow this  
riverdude2

Ticketmaster UK to close Getmein/Seatwave

Don't be fooled into thinking this is anything but a financial strategy by TM. They see a gap in the 'sell back' market which they are looking to exploit. Which means they are likely losing out to viagogo currently so they want to shift their strategy elsewhere. But more significant, I would assume they are expecting regulations to be passed at some point which will limit or even block the secondary market selling over face, by which point they will be the market leader in sell back.

Even if the secondary market is blocked, I don't see Joe Public winning. Expect it to trigger a huge rise in pre-sales where you have to pay for the privilege to partake and a big rise in golden circle / VIP tickets. The music industry will win and TM will win.

• Like 2

dp they have their own verified ticket marketplace like here in the usa?

here they also own a secondary ticket reseller called ticketsnow which was resold some Bruce tickets a few years back and got bad publicity for them

TM going to establish a resale site, which will allow resale at face value or less, +15% admin fee

2 hours ago, Fifer said:

TM going to establish a resale site, which will allow resale at face value or less, +15% admin fee

It sounds like Ticketswap we have in Holland

4 hours ago, Fifer said:

IF  this is true it is a move in the right direction, perhaps they have seen which way the wind is blowing, but am skeptical.

TMs Scalper subsidiary in the US TicketsNow still exists - here is the Bruce reference

In 2009, suspicion arose when consumers attempting to purchase tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert were instantly redirected from Ticketmaster.com to TicketsNow and saw the same tickets being sold at premium prices. As a ticket broker owned by Ticketmaster, rumors abounded that Ticketmaster conspired to divert buyers away from the main site at normal prices towards the broker site at inflated prices.[3]

Ticketmaster claims it was a glitch.[citation needed]

hmmh

Good news as far as it goes, but they'll just offer more of those "platinum" seats which are no different from normal seats but vastly more expensive.

3 hours ago, AMIW said:

a platinum seat at the SwampLands stadium in NJ

100422_jets_stadium__jc-11134754-300x450

a seat like that shouldn't even exist

only a rubbish bin should sit there 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HelloNewman said:

Don't be fooled into thinking this is anything but a financial strategy by TM. They see a gap in the 'sell back' market which they are looking to exploit. Which means they are likely losing out to viagogo currently so they want to shift their strategy elsewhere. But more significant, I would assume they are expecting regulations to be passed at some point which will limit or even block the secondary market selling over face, by which point they will be the market leader in sell back.

Even if the secondary market is blocked, I don't see Joe Public winning. Expect it to trigger a huge rise in pre-sales where you have to pay for the privilege to partake and a big rise in golden circle / VIP tickets. The music industry will win and TM will win.

But... But... Their big cheese said this was their strategy all along... Surely he wouldn't lie to us! 

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

Good news as far as it goes, but they'll just offer more of those "platinum" seats which are no different from normal seats but vastly more expensive.

Probably but isn't that something which has to be agreed by the artist/their management?

9 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

Probably but isn't that something which has to be agreed by the artist/their management?

its a well known fact that a lot of tickets on secondary market come from artist/management so dont expect much help there

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

its a well known fact that a lot of tickets on secondary market come from artist/management so dont expect much help there

Precisely.  I've been saying this for years now.

Good news.

But it will make no difference to the ticket price.  The artists at the top of the food chain will continue to live high on the hog.

"I wish I was Mr Gates,
Pay me my money down,
They'd haul my money in in crates,
Pay me my money down "

…. and Bruce's appendage, "Wait a minute, they do pay me my money in crates".