Greasy Lake Community

Sting - we gotta talk

The Police are one of my all-time favorite bands. When they broke up, I was both angry & sad. I was a lot younger then too. I blamed Sting for the breakup like I blamed Yoko Ono because I thought he wanted his own solo star gig & the Police were hampering that. I got over it though,  because I finally realized he wanted to grow as a musician and artist and try new things. All "Rock Stars" have massive egos and an even measure of pomposity they carry around, even the honorary patron saint of the NJ Turnpike. He may be better at not showing than many of his peers, but I myself have seen it. I was at a GOTJ show in '95 when some girl in the audience yelled "Thunder Road!". He stopped dead in his tracks, looked out into the crowd with a scowl on his face trying to find the culprit and said "Let me make it clear...This aint a greatest hits show. I'm not playin' that motherfucker tonight". Some boos rang out & he stood there and laughed. I wanted to throw my expensive lager in his face. Then later, he got pissed because some people in the audience were clapping along to the songs. "I'd appreciate a little quiet. Please don't clap. It fucks up my timing." Get over yourself. Maybe that's why I hated that tour and hate that album. All of a sudden, his "artistic expression", his self-importance superseded his connection to his audience.

I don't want to be buddies or pretend I'm "part of the family" and fantasize I know the musicians who's crafts I enjoy personally. Trust the art.....not the artist. As for Sumner cajoling Springsteen to "fire" the ESB....Christ....Some of you people need a new fookin' hobby. Is Sting an asshole personally? Possibly....in fact, probably, but he's a talented musician IMO and that's all that interests me. I'm not proclaiming you all should be Sting fans now, but get over the "personality" bs.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

46 minutes ago, JustDan said:

As for Sumner cajoling Springsteen to "fire" the ESB....Christ....Some of you people need a new fookin' hobby.

But some just can't fathom Bruce would fire his own band on his own terms by his own thought. 

Yet it makes all the sense in the world.  

Sting shouldn't be singing he should  be saving the planet , standing next to a staving thin boy wearing a football shirt and taking bollocks over the world problems no doubt he was a stay in person over the UK Brexit vote as well while living in the USA  and voicing his views . 

Now and then nipping  back to Scotland to talk  about how  he love's  the Scottish docks and is so working class while promoting a crap new album plus he claps like a two year old. 

Been stealing a living for 50 years -Not fit to put new strings on Bruce's guitars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, catfish said:

Sting shouldn't be singing he should  be saving the planet , standing next to a staving thin boy wearing a football shirt and taking bollocks over the world problems no doubt he was a stay in person over the UK Brexit vote as well while living in the USA  and voicing his views . 

Now and then nipping  back to Scotland to talk  about how  he love's  the Scottish docks and is so working class while promoting a crap new album plus he claps like a two year old. 

Been stealing a living for 50 years -Not fit to put new strings on Bruce's guitars.

Wow. 

I'm guessing that's a no from you then? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kay said:

I might have to retract that.  It's the Sting and Shaggy tour?  They're touring together?  Do they sing duets on stage or take it solo?  

Is their tour bus "the mystery machine"?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, catfish said:

Thanks for stating your personal opinion, duly noted. :)

1 hour ago, catfish said:

Scottish docks??

4 hours ago, catfish said:

Been stealing a living for 50 years -Not fit to put new strings on Bruce's guitar

ecopiggy-ecopacifier-rounded-natural-rub

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, catfish said:

Been stealing a living for 50 years -Not fit to put new strings on Bruce's guitars. 

Somebody please tell Kevin Buell he can start breathing again...

• Haha 4

On 8/25/2018 at 10:21 AM, LONDONCALLING said:

Yes the birthday version is more raw and the Kennedy center more contemplative but both excellent version of a Sting song.

Sting's own version is also excellent. Unlike Bruce's (4/4 time), the original is in 9/8 time which adds a  great angle to it.

I always loved Sting's weird timing on that song...he always does that...I remember when U2 came out with a version of Mission Impossible Theme...he critisized it for being in 4/4 time and not the original timing which was 5/4

6 hours ago, GreatDane said:

As a musician Sting is in every way superior to Bruce. I just happen to like Bruces music better than Stings. 

I would never disagree that Sting is in some ways superior to Bruce as a musician but every way?  Maybe I haven't heard enough of Sting but just the video alone I posted in the OP he can't hold a candle to Bruce's pipes.  I get his depth and range as far as the classical trained shit goes, and he may be a killer bassist, but every way superior, no I can't go for that.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GreatDane said:

As a musician Sting is in every way superior to Bruce. I just happen to like Bruces music better than Stings. 

Bruce has better electric guitar chops. Lyrically, I would say they're equal. I don't know anything about Bruce's bass playing ability. I believe he could get by if he had to. Sting is a very proficient bassist. I believe their abilities on the keys are similar. Perhaps Sting is more versatile in the genres of music he is able to write and perform. As live performers there's no question....Springsteen is definitely superior.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I would never disagree that Sting is in some ways superior to Bruce as a musician but every way?  Maybe I haven't heard enough of Sting but just the video alone I posted in the OP he can't hold a candle to Bruce's pipes.  I get his depth and range as far as the classical trained shit goes, and he may be a killer bassist, but every way superior, no I can't go for that.  

No can do.

1 hour ago, -Sussudio- said:

A problem with Hall & Oates do we? I'll have you know Bruce Springsteen isn't fit to put new strings on John Oate's guitar.

Absolutely no problem with them at all... Used to have a Best of or Greatest Hits on a cassette I played to death...

Can I ask a question though? What is happening to all these rock stars guitars that they constantly need new strings?

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Absolutely no problem with them at all... Used to have a Best of or Greatest Hits on a cassette I played to death...

Can I ask a question though? What is happening to all these rock stars guitars that they constantly need new strings?

All very good? ;)