Sign in to follow this  
sonicramone

2019 College Football

College football starts tonight and carries through a very busy weekend.  Great matchups include:

• Oregon St. at Ohio State
  • Washington at Auburn
  • Tennessee vs. West Virginia
  • and of course, Michigan at Notre Dame

Ohio+State+girls+2+x.jpg

21 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

App State hasn’t had an upset bid like that since it eviscerated Michigan on their home field eleven years ago today. 

Don't rate Paed State at all against Pitt next weekend. Was hoping for a big Pitt upset, now I think it's more of an even matchup. Pitt destroyed their G5 opponent today.

H2P

Went to my first football game today U-Mass at Boston college, one of my colleagues went to BC. Some of the best $25 I've spent all year. Game was more than a little one-sided, will definitely go again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, davemunday said:

Went to my first football game today U-Mass at Boston college, one of my colleagues went to BC. Some of the best $25 I've spent all year. Game was more than a little one-sided, will definitely go again. 

Dave did you ever get a couple Green Bay tickets?

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Dave did you ever get a couple Green Bay tickets?

Not yet, I am still planning to go - or maybe to the Packers vs Bears game in Chicago  - I think I could fly in and out in a day for that one. I'm running the NYC marathon early November so weekends are full until then after that the calendar opens up. I'm still reading the "When Pride Still Mattered"  its been a long haul but I'm nearly there.

12 hours ago, sonicramone said:

App State hasn’t had an upset bid like that since it eviscerated Michigan on their home field eleven years ago today. 

My best friend went to App and his fiance went to Penn State.

They went up Friday for the game and then also had to be in Philly for a wedding last night so they had to leave during middle of the game. 

How'd that shithole OSU team do?  My sister lives in Columbus.  I detest every red colored nut out there (sister and family excluded;)).

36 minutes ago, BirdManT said:

How'd that shithole OSU team do?  My sister lives in Columbus.  I detest every red colored nut out there (sister and family excluded;)).

77-31

there are lower basketball scores ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BirdManT said:

They limped into the final gun only scoring 77 points, and moved up to 4th in the AP national rankings....just slightly ahead of Michigan who squeezed in behind Boise State and Central Florida at the bottom of the AP poll.  :) 

• Like 1

Brenda Tracy is the Honorary Captain at today's University of Michigan home opener. For those not familiar, Brenda Tracy is a rape survivor and survivor advocate. She was raped by 4 football players at the U of Oregon, and she has dedicated her life to advocating to rid our society and particularly our college sports teams of the rape culture. She travels to high profile sports universities and meets with the coaches and athletes. 

She visited University of Michigan and spoke to a few Michigan athletics teams this summer and Coach Harbaugh invited her back to serve as the honorary captain. 

While U of M fans are not thrilled with the less than stellar start to the season, we all agree that this is something to celebrate. When she visited, she singled out Harbaugh as one of the most involved and responsive coaches she’s encountered when she’s come to speak. Wins and losses matter, but not as much as creating a culture of that develops our student athletes into quality human beings. 

I think that being a fan who is actually an alumnus of a school makes a difference in attitude towards what is actually important in a school's profile. Wins and losses don't mean a damn thing if your school has no ethics and standards.

There is a groundswell of support among U of M alumni and students to have the U leave the Big Ten.  The conference is a cesspool, what with PSU, MSU, and OSU covering up rape, pedophilia and domestic abuse in the name of sports. It won't happen, because of contractual obligations going into the next decade, but the idea is for U of M to form a new conference with schools that care about both athletics, academic excellence, and ethics. 

Go Blue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, judyg said:

There is a groundswell of support among U of M alumni and students to have the U leave the Big Ten.  The conference is a cesspool, what with PSU, MSU, and OSU covering up rape, pedophilia and domestic abuse in the name of sports. It won't happen, because of contractual obligations going into the next decade, but the idea is for U of M to form a new conference with schools that care about both athletics, academic excellence, and ethics. 

Go Blue.

You just can't help yourself, can you?  :) 

The chances of U of M ever leaving the Big Ten in favor of a conference that "care(s) about both (sic) athletics, academic excellence, and ethics" is about as likely as you becoming the honorary captain of next week's game.  Less than zero.

It's not personal sonic, please don't make it so.  Have a good day. 

Casting these outrageous assertions tends to get my (or anyone's) attention.  You can't expect reasonable people not to respond to the person making them.

Plus, I'm having a great day as a matter of fact.

I'm very glad you're having a good day. 

I forgot to mention that Maryland basically killed a player by working him too hard and then failing to recognize or treat heat exhaustion until he died, and of course we have the wonderful bastion of criminality that is Rutgers football. The Big Ten is not a conference that anyone should want to be a part of right now.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, judyg said:

I'm very glad you're having a good day. 

I forgot to mention that Maryland basically killed a player by working him too hard and then failing to recognize or treat heat exhaustion until he died, and of course we have the wonderful bastion of criminality that is Rutgers football. The Big Ten is not a conference that anyone should want to be a part of right now.

Makes you wonder why anyone still lives in those cesspool states of Maryland and New Jersey.  Any one that chooses to live there is complicit in attempted murder.  Anyone in Ohio is complicit to domestic violence.  Anyone in Michigan is complicit in sexual abuse.  And on and on and on.

I think what you're really aiming for is the dismantling of men and masculinity....by conflating that with rape, domestic violence and attempted murder.

Getting to the topic of rock bands, I wonder how many of the great ones would be left if we followed your zero tolerance policy merged with your guilt by association policy?  It would be a quiet world out there.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-michigan-sexual-misconduct-complaint-20180908-story.html

Students accused of sexual misconduct at public universities have the right to cross-examine accusers at disciplinary hearings, a federal appeals court said Friday in a sweeping decision that will extend to public schools in four states. 

The University of Michigan violated the rights of a male student by refusing to allow him or a representative to question witnesses in an alleged incident of sexual misconduct at a "Risky Business"-themed fraternity party, the court said. 

A university investigator found insufficient evidence that a student had committed misconduct. But that conclusion was overturned by a campus appeals panel after two closed sessions. 

The student, identified in court papers as John Doe, agreed to leave the school in 2016 instead of face expulsion, just 13.5 credits shy of getting a bachelor's degree in business. His attorney said he was made a "scapegoat" by the university to show that it was aggressively responding to complaints. 

"If a public university has to choose between competing narratives to resolve a case, the university must give the accused student or his agent an opportunity to cross-examine the accuser and adverse witnesses in the presence of a neutral fact-finder," said Judge Amul Thapar, writing for a three-judge panel at the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. 

The court overturned a decision by U.S. District Judge David Lawson. The ruling is binding in Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky, the four states covered by the 6th Circuit. 

"Providing Doe a hearing with the opportunity for cross-examination would have cost the university very little," Thapar wrote. "As it turns out, the university already provides for a hearing with cross-examination in all misconduct cases other than those involving sexual assault." 

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said the decision was being reviewed. 

"This is a very huge victory for the constitutional rights of students," Doe's attorney, Deborah Gordon, said. "Sexual-misconduct proceedings have to be a search for the truth. The University of Michigan, by hiding the ball from both sides, has really done a huge disservice to the entire issue of sexual misconduct on campus. The stakes are so high." 

It's unclear what will happen next. But Gordon said her client, who had a 3.94 grade-point average, wants his college degree.

22 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

I think what you're really aiming for is the dismantling of men and masculinity....by conflating that with rape, domestic violence and attempted murder.

My goodness. I'm not at all sure how you draw a connection from a person wanting to foster respect for women and wanting to end the rape culture,  to that person wanting to "dismantle men and masculinity."  Does being a man and being masculine mean lack of respect for women, and tolerance of rape and domestic violence?  If that's what being masculine means to you, I believe you are in a very small minority  

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this or anything else any longer. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, judyg said:

My goodness. I'm not at all sure how you draw a connection from a person wanting to foster respect for women and wanting to end the rape culture,  to that person wanting to "dismantle men and masculinity."  Does being a man and being masculine mean lack of respect for women, and tolerance of rape and domestic violence?  If that's what being masculine means to you, I believe you are in a very small minority  

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this or anything else any longer. 

To the point of Michigan leaving the Big Ten, if it ever happens I think you should join the ACC. There's a strong legacy of academic excellence in our conference. True, it does stretch the "Atlantic Coast" part, but so does Louisville, Pitt, and Virginia Tech.

No, of course not.  Being a man and masculine absolutely means respecting women.  However, I do get a little offended when you blanket an entire institution, or multiple institutions in this case, over the evil misdeeds of one or two or three people.  All the while standing behind your institution that is not immune to bad actors.  Just a little disingenuous on your part.

BTW, as we all know, the "toxic masculinity" label is all the rage in certain sectors of society.  It's not like it's emergence is not being represented in these posts.

2 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

To the point of Michigan leaving the Big Ten, if it ever happens I think you should join the ACC. There's a strong legacy of academic excellence in our conference. True, it does stretch the "Atlantic Coast" part, but so does Louisville, Pitt, and Virginia Tech.

They wouldn't be able to go there because of Florida State covering up for Jameis Winston a couple of years ago.  

The ACC is just as despicable as the Big Ten.

21 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

They wouldn't be able to go there because of Florida State covering up for Jameis Winston a couple of years ago.  

The ACC is just as despicable as the Big Ten.

The Winston incident was bad - however not rising to the scope of institutional failures like those seen at Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan State. I would be more than happy, though, to trade FSU for UM - they are easily the worst and most obnoxious fanbase in the ACC. They would fit right at home with the Paterno cult.